Black Panther, Indiana County, Mid 1980's

Submitted by Tarrah on 4/9/05 at 2:03 PM. ( tarrah_2005@yahoo.com ) 69.48.38.83

Hi. I was reading your messages about mountain lions and cougars in pa. I have not been able to find any sightings in the Indiana County area. However years ago, in the mid 1980s, my family lived in Indiana County. One day, my aunt, mother and I saw something black walking through the field across the street from our home. We thought it was a bear but it was an odd shape. My mom went and got my dad's rifle so we could view through the scope. Much to our suprise, it was a very large black cat. At least 3 feet long w/ a 2-3 feet low hanging tail. I always thought it may have been an escaped "exotic pet", but I am beginning to wonder about this. Does anyone have any information on them ever being in Indiana County or heard of an escapee back then? Please email me at the above address. Tarrah

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Black Panthers are leopards

This response submitted by Jason Fessenden on 4/9/05 at 6:20 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.139

they are exotics so if it was loose, it would have been an exotic pet. those black panthers are just black leopards
jason

Jason

This response submitted by JL on 4/9/05 at 8:31 PM. ( wmlures@metro2000.net ) 216.177.1.193

......how about a melanistic cougar?

Never seen a blk leopard

This response submitted by oldshaver on 4/9/05 at 9:11 PM. ( ) 66.26.57.192

I have seen a couple of blk panthers from south america, at least their hide.

could be possible

This response submitted by Jason on 4/9/05 at 11:24 PM. ( Jason ) 205.188.116.139

ive never seen a cougar like that.. worked with black leopards for a while so thats how i knew.. so if there are black cougars sorry just never heard or seen one
jason

OK

This response submitted by Jason on 4/9/05 at 11:32 PM. ( Jason ) 205.188.116.139

looked into it and guess there are black cougars also i searched the web.. never seen one and other than the ones ive seen always heard that only leopards are black panthers.. so once again sorry for the first input of only being able to be a leopard

Maybe a large fisher

This response submitted by Don on 4/10/05 at 2:23 AM. ( ) 24.152.227.46

Maybe you might have seen a large fisher?

black leopard

This response submitted by norm on 4/10/05 at 3:35 AM. ( ) 206.168.43.135

i didnt believe panthers were leopards until i saw it, i had heard that they were just black leopards, and i finally saw one in person and i did notice that it had the spots under the light, the spots almost look like oil stains,almost purlpe in color, kind of stand out if you really look at it.

Black panthers...

This response submitted by Craig on 4/10/05 at 11:50 AM. ( ) 66.66.226.122

are an endangered species of the Florida Evergaldes. They are actually black cougars, slightly smaller in size.

If you can't even see a tan cougar in an area that is proclaimed to have no cougars I highly doubt a melanistic one is going to just make an appearance.

Someone probably owned this thing as an exotic pet and decided it was too big or it just got away on them.

Bobby Seale is who you probably saw!

This response submitted by G for Gantry on 4/10/05 at 7:05 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.229

Big black cat with a funny hat, liked to partee

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu