My 5 cents on Ebay (inflation!)

Submitted by Wolfwoman on 4/10/05 at 2:05 PM. ( dakota AT mtaonline.net ) 64.4.227.85

I try and read as much of the forums as I possibly can in my spare time, and as of late there seems to be a lot of eBay bashing going on (much of it with GOOD reason, ie: bobcats), but I thought I'd drop in my (probably unwanted) 5 cents.

I have been using eBay on and off now for about 4-5 years, both selling and buying, and have only had one bad selling experience (guy didn't pay), and one auction pulled. I would say out of my feedback rating of 410, that's not a bad average!

Normally I sell hats, mittens, pillows or whatever else I happened to have made from fur, quite a few skulls that I've bought and cleaned for myself, and an occasional pelt that I don't need to use. I have always received more than I had hoped for on my auctions, and as for buying, well I set myself a limit and stick to it.

I, personally, think that eBay is what you make it, for the most part. As I said above, there are exceptions, (bobcats) but on the whole I don't really think it's that bad a place to do business! Obviously a BUNCH of other people think so too, or eBay would be OUT of business!

Okie dokie, I'm ready for your comments now! <cringe>

Wolfie

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

EBAY

This response submitted by DEAN on 4/10/05 at 2:16 PM. ( ) 24.175.120.117

I agree with you Wolfie I sell quite a lot on EBAY and have nothing but positive to say about the site. Where else could you sell your items and get World Wide exposure, I have sold things to people all over this great World. Antis or not I will continue to do so.

Wolgie

This response submitted by b on 4/11/05 at 9:36 AM. ( ) 64.12.116.134

Obviously you have not been reading all the post about Ebay. Because you post was just begging for am education with a lot of sting added. You even had the foresight to cringe.
I am going to refrain on this occasion. It is not a case of weather you have made money, or weather you have gotten good deals, or had good trades. It is about what Ebay stands for. it is about the beliefs of the members of their board, Reed "Ebay...George and B". This forum on 4/8/05 Maybe it will enlighten you. NO Man Can Serve Two Masters. Mammon Or Principal. Choose one!

Dean. I hope you have no Children yet. If you do I hope them, or their children Do not chose Taxidermy or hunting as a profession, sport, or hobby. Because spineless jellyfish like you that do not stand up for what is right. Or what is important. OH, wait. Maybe you do. Just Maybe all That matters to you is Money. Disregard this post in that case

b

This response submitted by Bob Mead on 4/11/05 at 2:14 PM. ( meadtaxidermy@yahoo.com ) 63.162.143.21

I gather from your post that you are of a different opinion than Wolfie, but your horific spelling and grammar prevents me from taking you seriously. You might be interested to learn that a "principal" is the guy/gal in charge of the school, so I guess you meant "principle". It has nothing to do with mammom, but in the Spanish language, "mamon" (with a hyphonated "o") may be a more appropriate correct description for you...

Bob Mead

b, I guess...

This response submitted by Wolfwoman on 4/11/05 at 6:04 PM. ( dakota AT mtaonline.net ) 12.18.171.159

...that you did not read MY entire post. I did say that I read as much as I could in my spare time, never said I read it all. BUT, I just went and read the post you referenced and the majority of it has NOTHING to do with eBay. So what's your point? I receive no money from evil, only from my labours.

So, why don't you 'educate' me, if you think you're capable?

And, as far as a 'cringe', that was just a joke. Ask anyone here that has read my posts, I don't cringe.

Wolfwoman

Bob Mead

This response submitted by b on 4/11/05 at 11:18 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.134

Mr. grammar and spelling genius. It is nice to find fault with someone for the heck of it. But when You try to make someone look stupid. you had better make sure you are absolutely on your best game. Yes, I may have had a few typos. And I'll take that hit. I was in a rush when I posted Or I would have taken the time to explain to wolfie the faults of Ebay. As For Mammon which is what I wrote. Not Mammom . Christ you can't even copy correctly. Yet you can find fault with others. Mammon ;a personification of wealth as an evil god or influence. What say you now Mr. Genius? Let he among you!

Wolfie, Ebay Has and still does donate large sums to PETA, and other organizations dedicated to animal rights, and anti hunting. They have so closely aligned themselves with such organizations, that all the antis need do is suggest a reason to have wildlife products removed from their listings. And Ebay will do so. Ebay stopped the sale of whole frozen animals. because the Antis suggested that such products could be considered food. Have you ever tried Mink? let me tell you No one would eat it. Still it worked. Only by claiming the whole animal is for pictures only, and it will be skinned to the buyers specifications. can someone get away with listing whole frozen animals. They have used a host of other reasons for pulling items. Most recently bobcats. Still sportsman, Taxidermists, and fishermen. Fight to pay Ebay to list their items. Some of the Ebay profits from these listings will go to the very people who seek to put an end to hunting, and taxidermy. I find it disturbing that so many people who frequent this site are so willing to allow Ebay to make one cent from them. Knowing that the entire Taxidermy industry depends on Hunters rights.
I cannot fathom so many people who profess to be concerned taxidermist. defending the use of Ebay. Brian Almberg seems to think I am some sort of dreamer living in an unrealistic world. With visions of utopia. You know guys. I will Probably never work as a Taxidermist. I know my livelihood will NEVER depend on it. So why should I worry about a bunch of guys who are not even worried about themselves? Maybe I should take up the cause of the antis. At least they have some passion about their convictions. and are not willing to sell out their profession for a few bucks.

b, can you tell me...

This response submitted by Wolfwoman on 4/12/05 at 1:21 AM. ( dakota AT mtaonline.net ) 12.32.59.136

...where the infomation came from regarding donations from eBay to PETA? I don't get a lot of time to spend/research on the internet (also haven't had a lot of time to post on eBay either) lately, so if you'd point me to a reliable source, I'd be glad to read it. Until such time I will consider it heresay, and if you can direct me to such sources, I will make an educated decision on what I will do as far as listing on eBay. PETA often tries to mess with Alaskans, but more often than not, they are unsuccessful.

Also, I am not a taxidermist. I am a skin sewer (at least that's what the natives here call me!) and a skull cleaner. Most (95%) of the money I make (not counting my REAL job) comes from the sale of these items on eBay. I do not have a lucrative enough market here to make it worth my while, tho I am striving hard to change that. I would be more than happy to sell ALL my wares without fees!

The definition of Mammon (there are others also):

1. Bible. Riches, avarice, and worldly gain personified as a false god in the New Testament.
2. Often mammon Material wealth regarded as having an evil influence.
3. A Chaldee or Syriac word meaning "wealth" or "riches" (Luke 16:9-11); also, by personification, the god of riches (Matt. 6:24; Luke 16:9-11).

Wolfie

b

This response submitted by Jay on 4/12/05 at 9:00 AM. ( goblue@mtc.net ) 216.105.216.210

That would be great if you went with the anti's, and get out of our hair. The sooner the better..

Wolfie

This response submitted by b on 4/12/05 at 3:10 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.13

You asked me to educate you. I now know why you added the "if you cam." You obviously knew full well I could not. No one can educate those who refuse. You can find the info about Ebay's donations to the Antis by calling your broker and asking Him/her to get a copy of Ebay's corporate annual report. However if you cannot see simply by Ebay's actions they are pro anti. You certainly will not see it in their report either.
But I understand your outlook. You are simply a seamstress, and trinket trader, and as such are only concerned with your personal finances. NOT how the industry is affected By such issues. I do Not understand why you are on a Taxidermy site, but it is a free site.
By the way Those were all the same definitions Simply worded differently.

As for Jay; WHO THE HELL ARE YOU?

b

This response submitted by Jay on 4/12/05 at 10:03 PM. ( goblue@mtc.net ) 216.105.216.210

You see my name and address, so whats the problem. I watch this siite and you are always playing the expert and you are not even a taxidermist. You are just affraid that the taxidermists on this site will find other means to sell their goods, so you can't buy the items at cut rate prices. I have been watching and any time some one has somthing for sale and you thinki it is to high priced you are all over them.

I am not refusing,

This response submitted by Wolfwoman on 4/12/05 at 10:08 PM. ( dakota AT mtaonline.net ) 12.104.83.23

plus I don't HAVE a broker. Don't want one either. I try and learn something new each day, as should everyone. And if they truely ARE so pro anti, why is it when you do a seach for Taxidermy, you come up with 3123 matches? Also, why do they even HAVE a "Taxidermy, Mounts, Antlers" category? Not to mention several separate categories with the following number of listings:

Other (739)
Deer (403)
Small Animals (137)
Fish (108)
Taxidermy Supplies (88)
Fox, Coyote (72)
Birds (59)
Elk, Moose (37)

One would think that if they were PETA oriented that these categories would not exist!

You may call names (tho I don't think being called a seamstress is an insult, but rather a compliment) if you wish, but if you can't prove what you say, then why do you say it?

I am on the taxidemry site because I clean skulls, and I do believe that there are a lot of people on this site that are NOT taxidermists. Yourself included if I remember correctly?

So be it. If there is no proof then I believe this discussion is ended.

And those definitions, by their very wording, are quite different. One chooses to use the one that suits their purposes.

Wolfie

Jay

This response submitted by B on 4/13/05 at 2:36 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.134

Bull chit! You are a flat out liar. I have never said a single thing about someone's price. I have never even bought a thing from here. I couldn't care less about the price of the items sold. The only people I have ever been All over as you put it are dumb asses who post questions in the for sale category. I do not play the expert. I pass on what I have learned. Have you found any misinformation? It is not My fault that people such as yourself cannot participate in a discussion without resorting to defamation of those they oppose. And use the philosophy that if you can't prove them wrong. Make them look bad.

Wolfie. I never called you names. You said you were a skin sewer. Is that not a seamstress? You ask me to point you to a reliable source. I do, and it seems now you want me to read it to you. But you are being open minded? You only try to learn what suits you. There are no Taxidermy categories On Ebay I just checked. What you refereed to are search results. Occasionally if you search a misspelled word it will bring up results if the lister misspelled the word. Would you presume that to be a category?

ebay is from god........... theee end

This response submitted by wildlife-artist on 4/13/05 at 9:15 AM. ( ) 69.244.151.177

for being so anti they sure sell a LOT of hunting, trapping, taxidermy, fishing, and things of that nature. and all that money is in our hands.3% for them 97% for us. aman have a nice day

b

This response submitted by Wolfwoman on 4/13/05 at 9:53 AM. ( dakota AT mtaonline.net ) 64.4.228.237

Yes there are Taxidermy categories on eBay. When listing items for sale, one of the options for a category under Sporting Goods/Hunting IS "Taxidermy, Mounts, Antlers" that is the exact name of the category. Go here and you'll see...

http://sporting-goods.listings.ebay.com/Hunting_W0QQfclZ3QQfromZR7QQfrppZ50QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ2QQsacatZ7301QQsocmdZListingItemList

And no, a skin sew is not the same as a seamstress. I know quite a few seamstresses (my mother included) that cannot sew fur.

I am very open minded, and I don't want you to READ it to me, just point me to something, just as I did above.

Wolfie

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu