Just venting or maybe a plea you choose

Submitted by Steve D on 4/12/05 at 12:41 PM. ( aaa_taxidermy@yahoo.com ) 24.50.46.54

I had a brother pass away yesterday (36 years old) from Hypertensive heart disease (basically high blood pressure) it was very sudden and without any warning, and of course myself and other brother and sister are left with all the arrangements. While sitting with the funeral director we were informed that we needed to come up with $4000.00 before they can proceed, By 3:00pm today no less ( he had no insurance) so of course we have put a call out to everyone we know for help, we'll see. Of course all of us live day to day with nothing saved for anything like this. I guess the big problem I'm having is I don't understand how even in death everything can turn to money. Those of you that do this for a living ( run your own business) and don't have the benefit of insurance, Please do those that love you a favor, Please get insurance to cover something like this incase it ever happens in your family. I guess that I've always put it off thinking that it will never happen to me, just like everyone else does. I go from crying one second to laughing about things he has done the next, to being totally bulls__t with him the next for not taking better care of himself and leaving us like he did. I never thought in a million years, that I'd ever be burying a younger sibling, yet look at me now.
So I guess instead of venting this is a plea for all of you to spend the extra money for some kind of insurance, at the least life insurance, to protect your family, and no I'm not pitching anything for any agency. The taxidermy community is a closely knit family whether we have difference of opinion's or not, and even if we don't know one or another, we seem to be able to feel the pain of or fellow taxidermists, and can all too closely relate our own lives with others in our profession.
Ours is a stressful profession as you all know, what with customers, supplies permits ect, and you may not even know you have High blood pressure the silent killer ( and believe me it is), or maybe you do know and don't take anything for it because of cost. I know this was me up until about 3 months ago when I finally decided it was time for meds. After being told 14 years I had HBP (imagine that 14 years LUCKY), but I already feel better after just 3 months. Please get yourself checked. Your family will love you a lot more and a lot longer I'm sure, and for your own piece of mind try to put a little something away for the unexpected. I've decided to put any money I make from doing skulls away in a special savings account, just for things like this, starting today. I know, it's to late for this, but hope fully it will be a very long time before this ever happens again, then I will be ready.
To those that respond with condolences and prayers I will thank you now, and God bless, it means the world to those involved at a time like this as im sure you all know.
Thank you Steve D

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Be strong Steve!

This response submitted by Jeff F. on 4/12/05 at 1:34 PM. ( NaturesTrophies@aol ) 205.188.116.139

Sorry to hear of your loss and definately feel for what you've had placed on you. It sounds like you're dealing with things about as good as could be expected. Do remember, God never gives a good man more than he can handle! Prayers sent. Jeff F.

Steve

This response submitted by Becky P on 4/12/05 at 1:37 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.134

Sorry to hear of your loss. God bless.

Sorry to hear Steve...

This response submitted by marty on 4/12/05 at 1:45 PM. ( ) 24.15.107.136

Pre-arranged and pre-paid services are really the best way to go. That way everything is taken care of the way you want it, and no burden is placed on family members.

Keep in mind, most don't do this until later in their lives. Inconceivable at 36, so try to understand WHY your brother didn't have any plan in place. So sorry again...

Steve

This response submitted by Jimmy on 4/12/05 at 2:34 PM. ( nightbiter2001@yahoo.com ) 4.157.53.42

I am sorry for your lose.I feel your pain steve,I feel your pain.Know this, your pain will pass.And as for this world,it will always be money first.Myself and my wife will pray for you and your family. And you stay strong for your family.

Sorry to hear.

This response submitted by HBP on 4/12/05 at 2:45 PM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

Condolences.

What people may not understand about Hyper tension is cause you hear to enlarge. The heart is forcing blood thru arteries and viens that are being squeezed.

That is why the first thing the Dr. will do is put you on a med. verapamil (SP) is a good med. Its affordable and available in generic.

A couple years ago I found I had the same problem BP 247/180 I was a stroke waiting to happen. Today with BP meds verapamil and Gemfiberzoil for Cholesterol and Trigylcerides I am 125/72 almost everytime I have it checked.

I realized also at that time life is what you have at this second, it can stop before you read the period in this text.

Your future is only a promise, but you have to do your part to make it longer. Mr Bill Haynes did. I live in a small town for the past two months everytime I open the daily paper and look at the Obits. I see someone's I know! Two weeks ago I attended the funeral of one of my girlfriends from highschool. It was pretty tuff on those from my class that attended. That morning I dropped into another funeral home to see another girlfriend, funerals were at the same time that day. Last year we buried my Bestman from my wedding. The year before my closest cousin, they went to bed feeling fine and never woke up.
Heart problems, high blood pressure and these were active people! These are people that worked out! They never bothered with thier Blood pressure, never bothered ot have it checked. I lost one friend in a bike accident a few months back, I doubt he would have lived to 60 year old anyway, he always lived on the edge.

Several people die daily in auto accidents you dont know if you will live to see the kids come home from school today.

Have you planned for tommorow?

Tomorrow is just a promise, plan for it, I have. Call your Dr. setup a checkup, go to the funeral home and talk to them about burial insurance and plans.

sorry for your loss

This response submitted by mimes on 4/12/05 at 3:16 PM. ( ) 64.233.135.38

Your brother is in a better place.

funeral expense

This response submitted by beeen there on 4/12/05 at 3:34 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.139

If you can stomach it look into cremation. around here it costs about $300. That is $300.00 And you can put the ashes near the place he loved best. My extreme sympathy

Steve...

This response submitted by J J on 4/12/05 at 7:10 PM. ( sinclairsjj@aol.com ) 152.163.100.134

...Email me. I'd like to help.

Keep your head up....

This response submitted by Gary on 4/13/05 at 12:16 AM. ( ) 207.69.138.140

My condolences on the loss of your brother, Alot of people do not plan ahead, I faced the same thing last Nov. after losing my step-father to a short 4 month battle with cancer. $6,500 on plastic.

Hang in there Steve!

This response submitted by Mark Wilson on 4/13/05 at 11:33 AM. ( Mark@AfricanHunting.Info ) 24.118.33.43

My prayers go out to you and your family. I also appreciate you taking the time to remind others to make sure that their families are not left in the same position. I know it is not that much, but the free $10,000 life insurance policy that the NTA gives to all of its members can help cover the very expenses that you mentioned. I know that it has helped several NTA member families over the past several years during a very difficult time. Again, thanks for thinking of others in you time of grief and my prayers are with you.

Sincerely,

Mark Wilson, NTA President

So sorry

This response submitted by Donna on 4/14/05 at 8:25 PM. ( foxy_embalmer@yahoo.com ) 207.69.137.11

I am sorry to hear about your loss. I am in the funeral industry and I know that sometimes the "directors" can take advantage of you. I agree with what the other people said. EVERYONE needs to get a pre-arranged and pre-paid funeral. Both my parents did and when they passed away everything was taken care of. Please e-mail me if I can help you in ANY way. I know what you are going thru. Donna

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu