I did "Career Day" at my 2nd graders school today!

Submitted by marty on 4/15/05 at 1:50 PM. ( ) 24.15.107.136

Boy was that fun! I brought in a few skin mounts and replicas - before and after type examples. Along with the foam and tracings, etc., etc. And I had a formal presentation prepared going over the history, learning, processes, business aspects and such. It was astonishing how ill-prepared some of the others were! The kids were in awe! I suppose when you think about it - it is far more interesting (especially to a kid) than many other occupations. I had to compete with an Electrical Engineer, a Pepsi distributor and a truck driver. Presentations were 25 minutes and I found myself hurrrying to finish. The kids were really intrigued. The Pepsi distributor won them over with free t-shirts and sodas. So I retaliated with free business cards - lol!

Volunteer to do it if you ever get a chance. It was fun, it helped educate the kids about our industry (I even talked a bit about non-fish!) I think it helped promote hunting and fishing. And I also think that many kids and adults have a new found respect for what we do. It was really cool!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Early for career day

This response submitted by Mark on 4/15/05 at 2:14 PM. ( Shmockaloc@cox.net ) 68.107.188.142

God Bless you for your time! I bet they didnt go home and tell Mom about the Pepsi Route career. I was thinking about getting outside into the bushes in 2nd grade. Its one fast track now.
Take care
Mark

Marty

This response submitted by Jeff@Jeff's Taxidermy on 4/15/05 at 3:03 PM. ( ) 209.152.72.35

It is a blast isn't it?
I've been doing it at our school now 3 yrs in a row for the 5-6 grades.
The girls I thought were going to freakout but they had more questions for me at the end of my presentation than the boys hahaha.
I've even had a few parents enquire about teaching a few of the kids how to mount their own trophies.
They kinda shyed away when I told them it would be cheaper for me to just mount it for them hahahha.
Gotta keep the $$$$$$ rolling in here.
Jeff

Thats cool

This response submitted by oldshaver on 4/15/05 at 9:17 PM. ( ) 65.190.191.227

Yall keep it up!

Me Too!

This response submitted by M.T. on 4/15/05 at 10:55 PM. ( ) 198.111.220.103

I did it for my 5th grader yesterday! Of course my boy had me bring in his first mounted fish and show it off. But I was suppose to talk for 30 minutes and ended up there for a full hour. I was surprised about some of the questions those kids asked. The teacher also had many questions. It was fun, i too have been doing it for many years, I have five boys and my fifth grader is the youngest one. What happens next year is that when he is in science class as a sixth grader, every year they disect a cows eye. Every year, I go in and help the kids in every class for the day. That too, is very fun!

Me Too

This response submitted by Mike on 4/15/05 at 11:54 PM. ( ) 209.206.208.224

Have been doing them for middle schoolers for the past 3 years, but I was a teacher so... One of the kids asked if I liked taxidermy more than teaching, and I said....at times like this, I'll stick with taxidermy. Have you ever been really chit tired after working all day, like bailing hay, milking the cows and then stacking hay in the loft until midnite? Well I've never been more beat than after one of "those days" when I was teaching, it's a whole new deal if you really want to do a good job ever day, every hour, especially if you taught 4 different subjects each day. Kids are great and it is really fun to go in for a visit each year.

My husband ..

This response submitted by TJ on 4/16/05 at 5:45 AM. ( ) 205.201.4.134

did a presentation for our nephew's Boy Scout troup..He said they enjoyed it but I think my husbend enjoyed it even more..
TJ

I got my teaching certification...

This response submitted by marty on 4/16/05 at 10:58 AM. ( ) 24.15.107.136

...But decided against pursuing teaching after I graduated. I had no patience back then. I still don't have a whole heck of a lot of patience, but enough to enjoy teaching part-time. Heck, between coaching Spring and Fall soccer and 5 months of coaching wrestling, I probably AM nearly fulltime - lol!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu