Taxidermist History 1946

Submitted by Randy Miller on 4/16/05 at 7:39 PM. ( ) 4.27.91.73

Would anyone have any historical information on a Clearheld Taxidermy in Clearfield, Pa. circa 1946? I just compleated restoration on a moose shoulder mount and found a sticker on the mannikin with the following info. Cast# ?23 Made by H.J.B. Clearheld Taxidermy 2-?6_46. Just curious.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Very large and historic company

This response submitted by The Taxidermologist on 4/16/05 at 9:14 PM. ( ) 24.3.179.164

Clearfield Taxidermy operated from 1915 through to about 8(?) years ago - I heard about the auction to close the business but did not attend. In their heyday, they were only a notch below Jonas Brothers in my opinion, and did a large business in the east manufacturing forms and doing high end Taxidermy besides that for the everyday hunter. They also had a branch that did tanning and glove making with superior products. They were big enough to have been invited and set up a large display/sale area at the first NTA meeting. I had my first bear hide tanned by them.

I have the following pubs in my library which show the various permutations of the company.

Anon. ca. 1925. Taxidermy as an Art and in All Its Branches. Taxidermy Company, Clearfield, Pennsylvania. 32 pp.

Anon. 1926. The Clearfield Taxidermy Company. Taxidermists?Tanners?Furriers?Fur and Leather Manufacturers. Clearfield Taxidermy, Clearfield, Pennsylvania. 32 pp.

Anon. 1932. Taxidermy - At Its Best. Clearfield Taxidermy, Clearfield, Pennsylvania. 32 pp.

Anon. 1946. Supplies and Services for the Taxidermists (wholesale). Prices effective October 1, 1946. Clearfield Taxidermy, Division of Clearfield Furs, Clearfield, Pennsylvania. 10 pp.

Anon. 1954. Forms and Services for Taxidermists. Wholesale Prices Effective October 1, 1954. Clearfield Taxidermy. Serving Taxidermists Since 1915. Includes Wholesale Tanning Prices Brochure, Prices Effective September 1, 1952. Clearfield Taxidermy, Clearfield, Pennsylvania, 12 pp

Anon. ca. 1960s. Clearfield Taxidermy. Taxidermists Tanners Fur & Leather Manufacturers. Clearfield Taxidermy, Clearfield, Pennsylvania. 16 pp.

Anon. 1969. Clearfield Taxidermy, Division of Clearfield Furs, Inc. Sculptor - Taxidermists - Tanners - Fur and Leather Manufacturers. American trophies retail price list effective August 1, 1969 + retail leather price list effective August 1, 1969. Clearfield Taxidermy, Clearfield, Pennsylvania. 22 pp.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu