SCI joins forces with the NTA

Submitted by Mark Wilson on 4/19/05 at 7:57 PM. ( Mark@AfricanHunting.Info ) 24.118.33.43

Incoming SCI President Mike Simpson has just informed the NTA that SCI will become the next new "Official" organization of the National Taxidermists Association.

This partnership is a very positive step for all taxidermists and will bring additional exposure to the NTA, and its members, to the hunters of the world.

The NTA is very excited about being associated with a quality organization like SCI that fights to protect the rights of sportmen and sportswomen around the world.

SCI incoming President Mike Simpsson and the Executive Director of SCI are currently planning to attend the 2005 NTA Convention in Sioux Falls in conjunction of the "Official" announcement of this great partnership.

Thank you to all NTA members for your continued support of the NTA, and thank you to SCI for joining us to protect and promote taxidermists.

I know our NTA members will promote SCI and what it stands for to the sportsmen of America. This is a win-win partnership for both organizations and for all taxidermists.

Sincerely,

Mark Wilson, NTA President

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

There are only two books...

This response submitted by Drew on 4/19/05 at 8:52 PM. ( ) 140.226.180.157

Problem is, there are really only two "books", Boone and Crockett, and Pope and Young. And really, when you hear the term book, people think of B&C. That being said, SCI may be a great organization, but most hunters don't really know anything about them.

An organization like SCI

This response submitted by Mark Wilson on 4/19/05 at 9:14 PM. ( Mark@AfricanHunting.Info ) 24.118.33.43

Is about much more than the record books that they keep. They are the largest organization in the world which fights to protect the rights of sportsmen and sportswomen. Actually there are really four "books" you forgot to mention SCI and Rolland Ward. While B&C and P&Y are probably more widly known for their North American species, SCI and Rolland Ward are much more widely known for African and other game anomals of the world. Although the "book" is only a small portion of what actually SCI does.

SCI also allows its local chapters to keep 70% of what they raise to fund local projects in that chapters own area.

SCI is a fantastic organization for all sportsmen and sportswomen!

Sincerely,

Mark Wilson

Drew

This response submitted by George on 4/19/05 at 9:29 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.134

Just wait till you get your first African safari in and remember those words you typed. I guarantee you that your hunter will know what SCI says about those trophies. And as Mark said, SCI is so much more than trophy records. They are the philanthropic arm of hunters around the world, putting their money into conservation and restoration projects in third world countries as well as our own. Because you aren't familiar with them, don't sell them short.

BTW, come to the NTA Convention and you can sit through their trophy scoring seminar and become an official scorer for them. After that, all you'll need to learn is the "spread credit" and "differences" to become B&C and P&Y certified. And it's all included in just the cost of registration to the convention.

SCI New Chapter

This response submitted by Roger H. on 4/19/05 at 11:26 PM. ( r_heintzman@hotmail.com ) 24.230.110.173

SCI has a new chapter in Sioux Falls. They just had their first fund raiser this past weekend. I attended South Dakotas Taxidermy convention so I missed the banquet. Hopefully next year.

Roger H. past SDTA president

I agree...

This response submitted by Drew on 4/20/05 at 12:10 AM. ( ) 140.226.180.162

I agree that the SCI is a great organization, my point is most American hunters don't know anything about them.

Hate to say it, but I am not even a member of the NTA. Not sure exactly what they do either. I went to the website and it didn't say much.

I am a member of the NRA, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, and used to be a member of the Colorado Trappers Association before it got banned.

The National Taxidermists Association.............

This response submitted by Mac on 4/20/05 at 7:54 AM. ( vabowhunter@worldnet.att.net ) 216.54.8.18

is an association for taxidemists, made up of taxidermists with the goal of promoting the industry and providing a unified voice for the individuals who make it up. Now, I'm sure others will correct, rebutt or add to my statements but the NTA also provides the following (Condensed & Cut) as found on the NTA site under Benefits:

1 $10,000.00 AD&D policy

2 Certification

3 Charlie Fleming Scholarship Fund

4 NTA Award of Excellence

5 Judges Handbook

6 Competition Rules and Score Sheets

7 Outlook Magazine

8 NTA Wildlife Conservation Fund

9 Freight Benefits Company

10 Other member benefits include:
NTA affiliates retain $2.00 per member new or renew, $100.00 for yearly hospitality room at your convention (you are to contact NTA treasurer for requested mailing), First class mailing of dues notices, complimentary accommodations (Tuesday - Saturday) at NTA convention, complimentary convention registration, and banquet ticket for affiliate president or designated officer which requires attendance at board meetings with a special drawing for a hunt to be determined yearly, no yearly affiliate dues, sanctioned competition and credit of competition points for your members, NTA Recognition Award, use of NTA scoresheets, scoring system and awards.

I'm sure there will be rebuttal and comments from some as to the "value" of these benefits, but the true value can only be determined by the individual joining the organization. I believe the networking alone I have been able to establish, well exceeds the cost. People complain about the price but you spend that amount on taking the wife and or family out to dinner at a decent resturaunt with only temporary satisfaction. Any professional organization you join, regardless of who they may be, rely on the members to make them strong. You get what you put into them and they can only offer what the membership funds allow them to provide. I hope this helps.

Mac
VTA,NTA Member

Drew

This response submitted by R.J. Meyer II on 4/20/05 at 8:22 AM. ( trophyroom@journey.com ) 207.241.134.211

Drew.................you sure do have alot to say about things you claim you don't know much about. Why not join both SCI and the NTA and become educated and involved in your industry ?

SCI

This response submitted by Hugh on 4/20/05 at 4:36 PM. ( hughjusthugh@aol.com ) 24.213.59.179

I was very skeptical about "what" SCI was before my eyes were opened. We had a local chapter start up here and I was introduced to the president at a trappers expo. My first impression of SCI was high dollar hunters, with no regard for average hunters. I was proved wrong during that initial meeting and became a member. In fact I donate a mount every year to their hunt of a lifetime for children with life threatening diseases. I travelled to Reno to attend their convention this year and had the opportunity to hear Oliver North speak on patriotism, our heritage as hunters, and it moved me. I also had the opportunity to meet or see Gen Norman Swartkopf, Jim Doughty, Jim Shockey, Gerald McKraney(spelled wrong), Phil Phillips, and the list goes on and on. SCI promotes and protects hunting, I make my living serving hunters. The fact that SCI and NTA have joined is a good move. SCI hosts taxidermy competitions within some of its chapters so they have been our friend for years.

Okay, Im done now.

Mark, There are more books than 4

This response submitted by Alan Childs on 4/20/05 at 6:28 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.134

Lets definitely not forget the Longhunter Records, which are similar to B&C but only encompass those records taken w/ a muzzelloader. There is also Buckmaster Trophy Records, Records of Exotics, & I believe ther is one for European Game, but I dont recall their name. I believe it is CIC or CCI. Im not trying to sharp shoot you. I just thought others might like to know.

Alan

Alan great post!

This response submitted by Mark Wilson on 4/20/05 at 7:36 PM. ( Mark@AfricanHunting.Info ) 24.118.33.43

Sorry if I only implied that there were only four books. Actually there are probably more than any of us know about, however the four I mentioned along with some that you mentioned are the most widely known.

Thanks for your post, however as my post said SCI is about much more than the record book it keeps.

Hugh is spot on about SCI, when you actually learn about them you realize that they do a lot of very good things that we never hear of.

I would encourage everyone to learn more about them and to become involved with them and their local chapters. Remember 70% stays in your own area for your chapter to use.

Like Hugh said they have been our friend for years and both SCI and the NTA are improving the strength of this friendship for all taxidermists.

Sincerely,

Mark Wilson

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu