Show favortism

Submitted by dave h on 4/21/05 at 12:18 PM. ( daveh@whirlawaycorporation.com ) 68.249.226.167

A question for you old timers. How often do you think that mounts get high scores because of who's they are not how they are? I am new to the shows and was recently at a show where the scores didn't match the mounts very well. I am not a judge and don't claim to be an expert but i have done allot of research and asking questions and have learned a lot. I just can't make sense out of what i saw. I was really disapponited and at this point am wondering if it's even worth going to them. I am looking for some honest input, i am not trying to bash anyone.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

they are as honest,.........

This response submitted by Randal R. Waites on 4/21/05 at 12:23 PM. ( rwenglish1@aol.com ) 205.188.116.198

They are as honest as humanly possible.

best

This response submitted by lee on 4/21/05 at 1:12 PM. ( ) 68.238.143.237

best to let the judges be the judges, and not worry about it.

My two cents

This response submitted by Joe V. on 4/21/05 at 1:34 PM. ( ) 216.203.7.84

My exoerience is that if you ask 10 people what they like best you will have 10 different answers. The reson you should compete is not to win but to constantly learn. Winning should be an added bonus. If you love taxidermy and you like the idea of being the best you can be then compete. As for favoritizm do you have favorite people in your life? The judges will too. That is why theoredicaly the mounts should remain annonomouse until after the votes have been tallied. Like I said just compete to learn and the winning will come later provided you have listened observed and learned.

Best of luck.

Lee

This response submitted by Kim on 4/21/05 at 1:55 PM. ( ) 69.171.240.121

Lee,

So, nobody should ask questions? Just sit back and be quiet?

Judges

This response submitted by KBauman on 4/21/05 at 2:07 PM. ( ) 68.92.225.73

Any judge that would pass out blues to people they know are not worthy of being a judge. I still maintain it is the responsibility of the competition chairman and committee to seek out the most reputable judges.
As for competitors. Never will all the competitors agree with a judge. Never will they all see things the same as the judge. A judge is paid for his opinion, and it is exactly that, an opinion. Each individual should be mature enough to take what information they can and use it to the best of their abilities. They can discard any information they don't believe to be helpful. Too many competitor get offended and upset. Being judged is not a slap in the face, but constructive critisism. It should be taken as constructive critisism and nothing more. Listen, learn and improve. Don't take any portion of your critique as a personal "slap" in the face. Not everyone can win, not everyone can blue. If they did, the show would not be worth attending. Competitors should be mature adults and enjoy the competition, seminars, fellowship and learn from the experiences. Good Luck and keep competing, it will make you a better taxidermists. Always prove your abilities with the pieces you enter, not by vocalizing your disagreement after the ribbons are hung.

KBauman

This response submitted by daveh on 4/21/05 at 3:23 PM. ( daveh@whirlawaycorporation.com ) 68.249.226.167

I think you misunderstood what i was saying, And i wasn't offended by what he said in fact as he critiqued mine i agreed with most of what he said. I also follow them around and listen to them critique everyone else's so i can learn more. I have learned a great deal from that alone. I was only asking this question because i haven't been in it long and wondered how political it is? By the way you replied you must be or have been a judge. I'm not afraid to show my work to anyone. If i knew how, i would post a picture so everyone could critique it.

Dave, can you send a jpeg to me?

This response submitted by Glen Conley on 4/21/05 at 4:22 PM. ( g.conley@verizon.net ) 70.105.81.240

I have thought in the past about making a "Critique Page" available to the visitors and contributors on this forum on hidetanning.net.

Any comments on this idea from the rest of you?
Glen

Competition Techniques

This response submitted by Travis on 4/21/05 at 5:50 PM. ( ) 130.76.96.17

Glen---maybe a page on just different techniques for comp mounts would be cool...

Dave H---I`m my own worst critic when it comes to competition...My best is never good enough in my opinion. My Lynx won best of show last year here in Kansas..quite frankly there were other mounts their that deserved it as well..I know my flaws before I even show up...did the judge miss them---probably not. Why did he choose mine---I have no idea( I figured conspiracy theory )...:0...I did know I did the best I could do but it still had small defects that I wasn`t happy with....our show starts tomorrow and I`ve done a piece which I`ve put almost 80 hours into...still ain`t 100% happy but I`ve pushed it to the max, took some chances, and hopefully it`ll pay off...it`s funny last year I didn`t expect to win anything---this year I don`t care if I win anything at all. I do know I`ve created and individual piece of art that hopefully people will enjoy to look at...I also know I`ll leave the show sunday knowing more than I do today...I`m there to pick up any little tip that will make my life easier and improve my quality...as Bill Yox always told me---Have fun! Try not to take it to serious.

Another think to think about is the fact that the judge gets to feel for structural and muscle details that your not allowed to touch. I know on my comp mounts I recreated the ankle bones,tendons, muscles, bloodveins, ect...does it change the external appearance of the mounts...not in most cases---But these people who take the time and effort to put these things in should have their efforts recognized because it is a painstaking task...there is alot more to it than just making a pretty face...there is alos degrees of difficulty---carcass casting, position, ect...then making it all flow together with a habitat...all this could be the case with the recent show ya just went too...shoot next time ask the judge himself what he favored about each piece...you`ll probably find it to be structural, or muscle details...best wishes

Dave.....

This response submitted by KBauman on 4/21/05 at 9:53 PM. ( ) 70.244.194.26

in no way was I pointing the finger towards you. My comments were directed towards competitors in general. Many competitors get on here and blast away at judges and competitions. Crying about not getting the awards they deserved and someone else did. A judge's opinion, may be the only unbias opinion in the entire show. In many years of competiting, I have meet very, very, very few judges that I thought were poor. I don't know if I have ever met on that I thought was political. Most have proven themself in the competing world by winning major competitions and gaining the respect of their peers. If a judge is unproven, political, or unethical, it is not their fault they did a poor job judging a show. Someone claimed him/her to be worthy of judging and someone gave him/her a job judging. Keep competing, enjoy the show and don't worry about all the rest. Good Luck.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu