Reasonable Shipping

Submitted by Phil on 4/21/05 at 2:50 PM. ( ) 156.142.187.186

I just wanted to pass along the following concerning shipping taxidermy mounts at a reasonable price. I recently attempted to ship a shoulder mount whitetail to a customer in California....I'm located in Minnesota. I brought the shipping container to UPS for shipping. I almost fell over when they told me that it would be $140 to ship it and it would take 5-7 days. FedEx shipping would have been $136.

A friend recommended checking with Greyhound Package Express. To ship the same mount from Minnesota to California via Greyhound came to $43.00 and the customer will have it in just two days. The only minor catch is that the customer has to be willing to pick it up at their nearest Greyhound Terminal.

Greyhound will ship packages up to 100 lbs and maximum dimensions of 30" x 47" x 82".

What a deal!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

A shoulder Mount!?

This response submitted by Leslie on 4/21/05 at 2:59 PM. ( ) 70.179.157.17

I pack my shoulder mounts in a wardrobe box and ship them UPS for about $30-40 tops. Not sure how you packed that one up.....

Les

?

This response submitted by jim on 4/21/05 at 3:23 PM. ( ) 63.227.252.186

Lesie, Phil got the same kind of quotes I get shipping shoulder mount deer size UPS and I ship alot; ie every week all over the country. We do not have greyhound ( I have heard that Greyhound is as rough as any of them on packages and horrible to pay out claims) here and the nearest terminal is over 90 miles away. I always box and get a quote before I invoice my customer for balance due and I include the UPS that way no CODs or worrying about not getting reinbursed. By truck I just ship Frieght collect. 75% or more of all my work must be be shipped out of state. Ever notice how companies like UPS and Fed ex have no worries about raising prices and they still have all the business they can handle? Something to be noted there for taxidermists.

Leslie

This response submitted by Phil on 4/21/05 at 3:48 PM. ( ) 156.142.187.186

Leslie, the double corrugated cardboard shipping container I packed the shoulder mount in measured 27x27x36. The UPS agent measured it (didn't bother to weigh it), entered the dimensions into their computer and quoted me a price of $135. The container was big enough to allow an inch extra in height and depth for packing material to protect the anters and the deer's muzzle. That container was the minimum size that I could use for a shoulder mount. I also checked with several freight companies for transport from Minnesota to California. After entering the same dimensions into their website, the quotes all came back in the same ballpark as UPS.

If you have a secret way of dealing with UPS that you can ship a deer mount half way across the U.S. for $30-40...how about sharing it with us?

I assume....

This response submitted by jeff on 4/21/05 at 4:03 PM. ( yes ) 199.222.136.142

I assume ther eis some distinction somewhere because it doesn't cost any of us 135 dollars to have 3-4 forms sent to us. But i don't have a clue. I do know i shipped a large box to a fellow in NJ, from sc and by the dimensions it should have cost 40 dollars and when i shipped it only cost 28.? I hope some one can let me know how all this is figured. thanks guys

UPS

This response submitted by Travis on 4/21/05 at 6:14 PM. ( ) 130.76.96.17

You have to keep the box size under a 130 inches to not get charged oversized...sometimes you can make the box different shapes buy making cuts to the box in order to get under the 130 inches..I cut them down into triangular shapes all the time for bobcat mounts...I can go from a 150 inch box down to a 115 by making triangular...

Size Limit 130 total inches

This response submitted by William on 4/21/05 at 6:15 PM. ( ) 12.22.170.151

My understanding is that UPS and FedEx both have a size limit of a total of 130 inches. That is the circumference plus the height. With the measurements you gave yours was a total of 144 inches. They have a additional freight fee once you go over that 130 inch limit. It can vary in cost depending on location. I know the first time I sent an Item that was to big there was a $60 extra fee. Also what ever you do do not use one of those "UPS STORES" to ship any large items! They carry the UPS name but they are actually independent of UPS and charge a much larger fee than a actual UPS shipping center.Good luck!

UPS

This response submitted by Brian on 4/21/05 at 7:30 PM. ( ) 68.220.201.189

Alot of you may not have experienced that changes of the UPS charges, but you will. I was the same way as Phil (above). We ship mounted birds all over the US. I went to UPS here in Birmingham, AL several weeks ago with boxes that were not over sized. I was shipping 2 boxes to Montana. I wanted 3rd day guarantee. The weight was under 10 pounds each & the size of the boxes were under 75 inches each. They wanted $145.00 each for 3rd Day & $65.00 for Ground. I went to our Airport Post Office facility and shipped them for $15.00 each Priority Mail.

So if you haven't felt UPS's pinch yet...hold on you will!

Don't Ship UPS! ! !

This response submitted by mjvaden on 4/21/05 at 9:56 PM. ( mjvaden@aol.com ) 205.188.116.198

Don't use UPS they threw away a Serval cat on me because it was a dead animal. I went strait to their corporate office and was told that in the 700 (yes 700) paragraphs why they don't have to pay your claim that "they reserve the right to dispose of any package for any reason they deem nessary" They would not even refund the shipping. And to add insult to injury they told me to find someone else to ship with because they do not want ANY TAXIDERMIST BUSINESSES!

Use Fed Ex and they are up to 30% cheaper too.
UPS WILL NOT PAY A CLAIM. My Serval cat was insured for $700. and UPS would not pay a dime. Not even refund my shipping! I went directly to there supervisor at the corporate office and argued the point for every day for 3 weeks. They have 700 paragraphs of reasons why they don't have to pay your claim. When you ship with them you agree to them. I took this to my pit bull attorney and basically he said I was S. O. L. My Attorney told me to consider it a learning lesson and find a company that actually cares about there customers.

That would be Fed Ex plus I now save about thirty percent on my ground shipping and a little on my air shipping.

UPS has screwed me bad 4 times and cost me a great deal of time and money.

I will give you one even better The UPS man actually stole our box turtle (we were nursing back to health) off of our porch and admitted to it. I went to his supervisors and again UPS did nothing. The delivery man said he did it because "he has seen many horrible things done to animals" The supervisor said "though it was wrong to steal, he did it for Nobel reasons" so he would not do any thing other than talk to him about it.

I shipped a shoulder mount for $42

This response submitted by Drew on 4/21/05 at 11:02 PM. ( ) 140.226.180.171

I shipped a whitetail shoulder mount from Colorado to the UP of Michigan for $42 via Fed-Ex. UPS wanted to charge me a lot more because it was oversized and they automatically charge you at the 70 pound rate. I just shipped a mulie cape to Michigan for $7.00 via Fed-Ex. It cost me $7.00 to ship a pair of binoculars in a small box from one side of Denver to the other! Bottom line is, UPS sucks.

Is it UPS or the UPS store?

This response submitted by Todd B on 4/21/05 at 11:23 PM. ( ) 4.224.93.94

Although they are both UPS the UPS store is more expensive than the regular UPS. I learned the hard way when getting a bobcat and an Elk cape from Colorado to Indiana.

Todd B

FED EX IS BEST WAY!

This response submitted by William on 4/21/05 at 11:48 PM. ( ) 68.53.102.244

I have used all 3 UPS,USPS & Fed Ex. I would recomend Fed Ex for anything of size because they are much cheaper than UPS. For smaller items such as birds or mammals like a raccoon or such ,priority mail through USPS works fine. I have never had a claim with any of the 3 so I could not say how that process is. I have been at it for over 30 years so I have just been lucky I guess. I think a lot of the cost increases are due to the high cost of fuel lately.

FedEx

This response submitted by mark on 4/22/05 at 11:52 AM. ( ) 66.255.208.53

FedEX damage Claims paid quickly and courteously in my experience. UPS does not like to pay, again in my experience.

FEDEX-- a third cheaper than UPS

This response submitted by ' on 4/22/05 at 2:29 PM. ( ) 63.22.221.204

print the label online and even order free pick-up service

FedEx

This response submitted by jerry c on 4/22/05 at 2:41 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.134

FedEx drives by my house every day be would not take me as a regular coustomer unless I have 10 packages per day. For my to bring them to there office is 45 Min. one way. UPS Stinks but I have not choice.

fedex

This response submitted by Rich on 4/23/05 at 9:07 AM. ( finfeathr@aol.com ) 205.188.116.198

I worked for fedex as a courier for 10 yrs.....the driver has no say-so in how many pkgs you ship, or how often..get yourself an acct.#,print the label,and schedule an automatic pickup..he HAS to pickup..its that simple. If you are going to ship frequently,call 1800-go fedex, talk to an acct rep,and see what kind of discounts you qualify for....Rich

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu