ARTIFICIAL SNOW

Submitted by BUZZI on 4/22/05 at 1:24 PM. ( olytax@aol.com ) 64.12.116.202

I took Tony's habitat class in Montana two years ago and seem to have mislocated my notes. Problem...I cannot find the white foam, used in making artificial snow and ice scenes in thick enough sheets to keep from layering it with spray adhesion. The largest sheets I can find measure 12"wide x36"long x2" thick. With Polar Bear and Musk Ox bases being so large the smaller sheets are way too expensive and the time spent gluing and layering is very time consuming. I don't mind doing it this way, if I have to, but the thicker foam would be very helpful. I've been told that this white foam is sold in large blocks but cannot seem to find it anywhere. Another question...I have used Krylon foam adhesive and many others but have come to prefer 3M Super 77 multi purpose spray adhsive to be the best adherring product so far. But with age it leaves a yellowing cast to the glued seams.....another reason to acquire larger blocks of this foam product. Question #1.......Does anyone know where this larger foam blocking can be acquired and would you be willing to share the contact info. Second question.....what kind of spray adhesive have you found to work the best...without leaving a yellowing cast to the adherred seams over time?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Is it open cell or bead?

This response submitted by Ok on 4/22/05 at 1:40 PM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

I think you are asking for the open cell?

OPEN CELL FOAM

This response submitted by Buzzi on 4/22/05 at 3:43 PM. ( olytax@aol.com ) 152.163.100.135

Never had any luck with the closed cell foam.....it has a serious tendency to melt

Larger snow scenes

This response submitted by Jack F on 4/23/05 at 4:40 AM. ( ) 24.97.78.149

On the larger snow scenes. I have taken the sheets you speak of and used them as whole sheets as a base of snow. I then sprinkle some loose on top. This creates the appearance of deep snow. It takes less time as well. You can also break the edges with a rasp to give it shape and save this matterial for the top snow. One more hint. Take 50 grit sand paper and sand the foam. This gives a great look with out adding anything to the top. Jack F

shaping foam

This response submitted by buzzi on 4/25/05 at 10:50 AM. ( olytax@aol.com ) 64.12.116.135

You can shape foam after adherring by sanding or rasping the foam with a spare piece of foam......foam to foam....works great

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu