Security at your shop

Submitted by Eric on 4/23/05 at 9:24 PM. ( plstaxidermy@winco.net ) 165.166.123.240

I am curious how many taxidermists have security cameras, or alarms at their shop. I got a call from the police department last week, telling me to make sure I don't leave any cash in the building whether it be in a safe or locked away and hidden. They went on to tell me that there has been a large number of burglaries in my county and thats why they were calling all the business'in the area telling them not to keep any cash inside. They said it appears that the thieves are only after cash.
A couple of days ago, I noticed it was hard to insert my key into my deadbolt and door knob lock. These have always been really easy to unlock and the keys would slide right in. I have a feeling, someone tried to get in but decided they couldn't do it fast enough. I have a motion light that should have went off if someone was that close to my door.
Anyway, after this I decided to buy a security camera that will go inside and film anyone near the door. I am also thinking of buying a couple of "dummy" cameras to put on the roof of my shop.
I am curious what any of you do for security measures at your shop. I live 4 blocks from my shop, so I guess buying the security camera was probably the best way to go for now. Does anyone use ADT or Brinks security systems? If so, how much could I expect to pay for their services? Thanks, Eric

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

eric

This response submitted by Michael Sestak on 4/23/05 at 9:39 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.201

since you live that close to your shop, would a web cam set up work, you could view the shop from home and possibly tape it at the same time.
not sure about the set up, just a thought.
and before somebody beats you to it, just call ADT or Brinks, i am sure they will tell you the cost depends on the coverage.
the dummy cameras are a good idea, just dont tell anybody that you actually installed dummy cameras, word travels fast.
a sticker by the doors and windows as well as inside telling everybody that you have video survelliance(?) will work too.
some cameras today are as small as a quarter.

good luck

Pit Bulls & Motion Alarms

This response submitted by RJ Simington on 4/23/05 at 9:41 PM. ( animalartsnw@charter.net ) 66.190.226.186

I have Motion detectors hooked to alarms, Bars on the windows, & Pit Bull Dogs that come to meet all customers.
Gentle as a Gerble during the day But a real deterents at night.
Plus Fire Alarms & my studio is only 100' from my house.

They all help.

How about

This response submitted by Gaurded on 4/23/05 at 10:50 PM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

This area gaurded by Smith and Wesson three nights per week.

You guess which three!

Shoot, shovel and shutup.

If you have a lot of world class trophies

This response submitted by Craig on 4/24/05 at 8:30 AM. ( ) 66.66.226.179

inside you might better invest in a good security setup. There is a market for anything out there and the thieves know it. Smith and Wesson only works when you are there, which you can't be 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you carry insurance you might get an insurance premium reduction if you have a system. Insurance will not replace lost trophies. It's always better to err on the side of caution especially if the shop is not in your basement or backyard. Just increase your prices commensurate with the additional costs.

ADT

This response submitted by Paul Czarnecki on 4/24/05 at 9:06 AM. ( ) 66.211.206.209

Eric I had an ADT system installed on my building a few years ago. My house is above my studio so I had them do the house as well. I don't remember exactly what it cost me but I DID get an insurance rebate/deduction that will more than pay for the system over a few years. The newer ADT systems also have automatic fire/smoke detectors and motion sensors which make things pretty foolproof. I had doubts about its effectiveness and police response time until one day I forgot to tell a friend that the alarm system was on when he came over to do some of his own work. I got a call on my cell phone in the middle of Lake Ontario from a State Trooper asking if I knew this individual. My "friend" wasn't as amused as I was.

Thanks for all the input

This response submitted by Eric on 4/24/05 at 9:50 AM. ( plstaxidermy@winco.net ) 165.166.123.240

I have some good ideas now. I know I don't sleep good at night since I noticed my locks had been played with. Also, I have always thought about getting another Doberman...LOL Eric

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu