my first serious accident

Submitted by charles on 4/24/05 at 7:53 PM. ( ) 65.246.113.54

I have been doing taxidermy for 6 yrs with no serious accidents then today i cut my wrist open had to have stiches and techna shot.I was altering a 65 head up form from McKenzie i was carving on it with a knife it sliped and bingo through my wrist it went just be careful guys ..lol

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

<><>YOUR LUCKY<><>

This response submitted by EARL on 4/24/05 at 10:05 PM. ( ANT/TAX ) 68.82.15.121

I think about a year ago a guy posted his accident,he ignited a can of accetone..Lost/ melted lots of skin and I think lost his shop.
My worst one,I was drilling antlers with a 16 inch drill bit,it was not sharp,I relaced it with a new one..I started the new bit in the unfinished hole,the new bit grabbed and WOW,right through in and out the top of my thumb,in the side of my hand and out the other side next to my little finger.What a mess,I had too reverse the drill and watch all the pieces come out on the bit.No veins no tendons,doctor said I was more than lucky.Never have I ever seen a better blood trail..Earl

Break out the Zap-A-Gap

This response submitted by mrdux on 4/24/05 at 11:22 PM. ( mrdux@refugemail.com ) 68.155.195.226

I was using a pair of cape stretcher pliers a while back and was leaned over a deer form, pulling the cape together at the seam. I just happened to reposition and didn't notice I had the handle end of the pliers pointed right at my face. Just then the pliers slipped and the handles ends hit me on either side of my nose. I had a major cut to the left side of my nose, just below the nosepiece of my glasses. The other side of my nose was just bruised. It knocked me back and I saw stars but didn't go out. When I put my hand up to catch the blood pouring out of my nose, I noticed there was more running from the cut than out of my nose. After about 20 minutes of laying on a couch in the showroom with a wet towel on my face, my wife came in and freaked out. I asked her to take a look at it and she said get ready for a trip to the emergency room for stiches. I went into the studio and got a bottle of Zap and asked her to glue the cut shut. She wouldn't do it so I ended up doing it myself. I saved myself a trip to the hospital and lots of $$. I had a shiner for several days and a pretty good scar but no other problems. This was the last of several times I have "super glued" cuts back together that should have had stiches and have had no problems. Probably not for everyone!

Two months ago

This response submitted by Brent on 4/25/05 at 12:02 AM. ( ) 216.178.57.193

I was skinning a badger. While hanging it on the three hooked gambrel it started to slip and PRESTO I hung my self on one of the hooks. The wife managed to find the bolt cutters and cut me down.

That little incedent caused nerve damage,eight stitches, and a permenatly cold and numb digit. Got lucky and no infection.

One lesson learned--- ALWAYS attatch the beast while it is laying on the floor. Then hang it and the gambrel up.

Hope you get well soon.

Injury

This response submitted by Craig on 4/25/05 at 9:19 AM. ( wyrickstaxidermy@earthlink.net ) 65.41.34.91

I keep a bottle of peroxide on the bench since I cut myself so much.I drilled my finger the other day while drilling the back of a repro duck head.Had to reverse the drill to get it out because I was wearing gloves and it got pulled into the bit.Most of the time things happen because we get careless doing the same routine and then something happens.You have to be careful.

The accident.

This response submitted by ByGolly on 4/25/05 at 10:59 AM. ( ) 63.170.184.137

I was sitting up in my crane,
lifting boulders in the rain,
can't get promoted no matter what I do
when a supervisor down there,
said hold that boulder up there
for a minute or two,
but whatever you do....don't let go
don't let go,
Well my names on the door,
where his was before,
Singing, Oh dirty old me!
dirty old me!

good one

This response submitted by charles on 4/25/05 at 12:07 PM. ( ) 65.246.113.54

lol good one

Zap-a-Gap / Tissue Glue

This response submitted by - on 4/25/05 at 12:13 PM. ( ) 216.144.58.51

You can pay $90 for a 2 gram tube of sterile cyanoacrylate tissue glue, or you can break out the Super Glue, like mrdux said. Same stuff, different marketing label. It is a GREAT method. It's actually the current method of choice for sealing small incisions (such as declaw on a cat).

I would say, never use it on a deep or puncture wound. You could get clostridial infection and die. It's for incisional injuries, like razor cuts.
You have to watch the incision carefully though, and re-apply if you see any weakening. It can cause a local burning feeling in the skin that goes away after about an hour.
Wuss me, I put it on paper cuts, takes the pain right away by sealing off those nerve endings.

If you're not allergic to it - in an emergency - it is a GREAT thing to remember.

Hmmm... my worst accident... I got Preservz-It in my eye once, and one time had a hole in my glove and stirred pelts in the pickle for 10 minutes, one hand being pickled too (it was fine, I washed my hands with baking soda). I also had a machine blow up once, what a mess.

Wire

This response submitted by woodchick on 4/25/05 at 1:51 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.203

I was just cleaning up the work bench a little and had a few pieces of 12 guage wire in my hand. I went to put them on a nearby shelf and presto, the wire hit the shelf and easily inserted one of the wires about 1 1/2 inches into the palm of my hand on an angle towards my wrist. Needless to say I instantly pulled the wire from my hand and there was no blood, I was suprised. By the next day I couldnt move three fingers and my hand was swollen to about double of the size> I went to the Dr. and got a tetnus shot and some antibiotic. all better now but man did it hurt.

Mine

This response submitted by Jerry S on 4/25/05 at 2:54 PM. ( jds@jerrystringer.net ) 216.62.85.10

I was using a hole saw about 2 1/2" in diameter to drill a hole through a piece of plywood. On the backside of the plywood I was holding onto one of the braces that held it up with my left hand. (Can you figure out where this is going?)

The hole saw did it's job . . . through the board and then into the base of my left thumb toward the back of my hand! 21 stitches later . . . I have a very nasty scar for it.

It was a dumb thing to do but I won't do it again!

Jerry S.

Staple gun

This response submitted by - on 4/25/05 at 4:11 PM. ( ) 216.144.58.48

I staple-gunned my finger once. Through cardboard. I didn't think blood could "squirt" out of capillaries but I was wrong. My finger was sore for a few days. I still have a tiny scar from it. A BIG one in the brain too, now I am veerrrrry careful with the staple gun!

nice 2 c im not the only clutz! LOL

This response submitted by Kayla on 4/25/05 at 5:23 PM. ( mtnview@nvinet.com ) 67.0.140.170

man O man the range of injurys we receive in this business is astounding to say the least! I just pulled the stitches out of my middle finger 15 in all after having to have a wood splinter from a base I was trying to assemble surgically removed. thank the heavens for insurance! just got my statement today 4300.00! for a splinter! ya'll be safe ya hear! happy sewing

Grinder Blade

This response submitted by Chip on 4/25/05 at 7:09 PM. ( ) 66.32.107.123

I was helping Alex From advance Taxidermy In Miami, grinding the seams of a large Shark replica, I didn't pay attention to the table and hit the corner with the grinder blade, which dissintegrated and half of it went into my stomach right below the navel, but it stopped short of going through the stomach muscles, thanks to the rubber apron, if I didn't have an apron on it would have gone through the shirt like butter and into the body cavity 15 stitches and 3,000 dollars in medical bills, thanks to Alex who paid for it.

Here's Mine

This response submitted by Keith on 4/25/05 at 8:58 PM. ( ) 67.2.180.46

About 15 years ago, while fleshing a bear, I cut through the rubber glove I was wearing. A severe paper cut is all it was. So I didn't wash it right away.

Three days later I was in the hospital for a three day stay with a severe staph infection. It also included a stay at home the following week with an IV drip.

An interesting one a couple years back, I shoved a large probe into my hand just breaking through all the layers of skin. (This time I washed) But later while blowing myself off with the air compressor, I managed to hit that hole just perfect, and in a split second, blew the skin away from my hand at least 1/2 inch. My whole palm was like a balloon! I pushed all the air back out the hole, but my hand sure hurt the next few days.

My worst taxidermy scare

This response submitted by jim on 4/25/05 at 9:27 PM. ( ) 63.227.252.186

The game and fish dept brings me a problem grizzly in thier drum trap dead late in the day and asked me to skin and tan it, so I did a rough skinning and spread out the hide and poured a 50lb sack of salt on it and planned on fleshing it the next day. I starting spreading the salt around the hide with my foot when I got a sharp pain. I hyperdermic needle was sticking THRU my foot. They used it on a shot to kill this 800lb. bear with pioson! when they stuck the bear in the drum it turned around fast and broke off the needle part in its hide before dropping dead! Well I am still alive but it hurt "alot" and scared me BAD. My foot and leg went numb but there was not enough pioson left in the needle to do lasting damage.

Get R Done

This response submitted by Bill Jones on 4/27/05 at 12:32 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.134

Scalpel blade cut, 6 stiches. Every other mount I manage to stab myself with the needle which adds blood and sweat to my mounts. Power went out while running the compressor and my 9000 watt lighting system. While going to the breaker box in the dark, I tripped over a small box, smashing my knees on the concrete floor. The best one was a friend who was cutting a skull cap on a band saw. The lights dimmed and I looked around and saw the back of his hand in the blade, almost stopping the saw. We looked at each other, he pulled his hand back and a few seconds later the blood was flowing! I took him to the hospital, which required surgery and a cast for four months! Ouch!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu