Do you ever...

Submitted by Bill Jones on 4/27/05 at 12:46 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.202

misplace tools and other items while doing a mount? Even though I'm 50 and could call it a senior moment, it has happened for years. Things such as looking for a lip tucking tool which is already in your hand. Looking for that ball of clay which was stuck on the mounting stand a few minutes earlier, but sudenly disappeared. Trying to figure out why the left earliner won't fit in the right ear. Mixing bondo so hot that it kicks off before you get it applied. Looking for your glasses that are sitting on top of your head. You go to look for something in a different room and when you get there, you can't remember what it was you were looking for. The scalpel that you accidentally dropped in the garbage can that sends you on a 30 minute hunt with no success. The worst thing is when you finally clean up your shop and rearrange things and can't remember where the hell you put it since you reorganized. Oh well, it's time to hit the sack, if I can remember where it is.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

don't feel bad

This response submitted by Michelle B on 4/27/05 at 6:05 AM. ( laurelmt@lhtc.net ) 65.167.183.49

It's not just you. I thought it was just me having "blonde moments". (All the time though?) Thought maybe I was loosin' it. I found stress or lack of sleep can do some crazy stuff to your head.

Its called

This response submitted by Jack F on 4/27/05 at 6:17 AM. ( ) 24.97.78.149

CRS (Can't Remember SH#T) I get it all the time as well. I get it alot at night working my full time job playing cop. The best one is when you have worked 11-7am. I go to bed at 7:45AM and get back up at 10:30AM. I go into the taxi shop in the back yard work till 5:30 have dinner go back to bed at 7PM sleep till 10PM. Go to work at 11PM as ussual alone on the midnight shift, heres what gets me. I will be driving along on my mary way when all the sudden, I am on the other end of the town and have no idea how or what route I took to get where I am at that moment. This is the time I park the patrol and go for a nice long foot patrol. LOL Oh yeah and I left my gun home for 3/4 of my shift once to LOL.

Only on days tthat end in "Y."

This response submitted by Doug on 4/27/05 at 6:19 AM. ( ) 64.18.236.197

Yessirree Bob....er...Bill! My shop is disorganized. I have a place for everything but things are never there. I pick 'em up and put'em down and those two locations are never the same. Us guys are sight oriented and are supposed to recall where we SAW an item the last time. For me, it's recalling which PILE the item was in/on/under. One thing that always amazes me is how something I drop on the floor VANISHES. I can understand how glass eyes roll and some tools can bounce to new locations but paper clips? A ball of clay? Scissors?
I'd save a lot of time looking for shi...stuff if I had fewer boxes, , buckets, , bottles, bags, boards, etc. laying around, but my main place to store is on the floor. I needed to move a tub of shi...stuff the other day and it was epoxied, pasted, or glued to the floor. I've had the same thing happen to my shoes when I sat at the bench for a long time. My vinyl flooring looked great when first installed but now, where I can see some of it, it looks like a funky collage. You're only 50? Ha! Just wait kid. I never was a Ken Jennings, but age has definitely taken it's toll. Of all of the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most.

Here's what you do...

This response submitted by marty on 4/27/05 at 9:00 AM. ( ) 24.15.107.136

...This advice comes from Bill Cosby btw.

What inevitably happens is you look and look to no avail and finally give up. So, you return to what you were doing before you started looking (if you can remember what you were doing!) and go to take a seat. AS SOON as you sit down you remember whatever it was you were trying to remember. In this case, where that tool is! SO, what you need to do is trick yourself into thinking you're sitting down. You can do this by grabbing yourself in the arse early on when you're searching for the tool. You trick your butt into thinking it has already sat down! Then in theory you will remember where that tool is. Even if it doesn't work, it's quite stimulating - lol! Works for me...

I thought it was only me!

This response submitted by Lance T on 4/27/05 at 8:55 PM. ( ) 68.184.41.18

I am glad that I am not alone it sounds like this is pretty common. I think that maybe we should form a support group for this disease. I have lost just about everything that I own as well as stuff that i borrowed (some things twice). Most things do reappear at a later date. I am very fond of blaming my children and my wife for moving my stuff and hiding my things just to confuse me. I have not however misplaced any of my children lately. I did however lose my first wife and glad that I did not find her again.

One thing that has helped me a lot...

This response submitted by marty on 4/27/05 at 9:18 PM. ( ) 24.15.107.136

I use to have "back-up tools" for when I misplaced things. I would inevitably lose the back-ups too! I've learned that only having one tool makes for less clutter and fewer things to be responsible for. I make a conscious effort to put back the really important stuff immediately after using. Eye protection glasses are probably my biggest violator. I'm always leaving them on the other end of my shop...

I do those things and more

This response submitted by Jan George on 4/27/05 at 11:17 PM. ( turkeylady@jangeorge.com ) 68.249.97.253

Glasses on top of head - check. Look for something in a different room and forget what - check. Tools in the garbage - check. Can't remember how you arrived in a certain spot while driving your vehicle - check. But have you ever dialed up someone on the phone and when they answer, you forgot who you called? It's a very humbling experience.

I'm in on this one also

This response submitted by Terri on 4/28/05 at 7:36 AM. ( thaken@chartermi.net ) 66.227.255.226

I swear I spend more time in the shop looking for stuff then actually working. It's hard to believe that something you just had in your hand 2 seconds ago could just disappear.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu