super glaze?

Submitted by guy peters on 4/28/05 at 12:14 PM. ( guyandkali@yahoo.com ) 24.118.103.191

Hi everyone. Remember that super glaze from Van Dykes ( fish gloss)? It is dicontinued and does anyone know who the manufacter is? Or, what do u reccomend as a super high gloss ( other than 2 part epoxy), I like the krylon triple thick brush on glaze, but it comes in too small of qty. I am looking for a brush on, thick, prefer acrylic, top coat. any suggestions? Thanks!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

glaze

This response submitted by dan on 4/28/05 at 5:53 PM. ( ) 216.56.60.34

That was pretty good stuff. I liked it except you really had to watch for sags and runs. I have been looking for it too, but can't seem to find it. I have been using soluvar gloss varnish(Liquitex brand). This too is an oil base varnish (just like Super-Glaze was, and yes, you still have to watch for sags and runs)that can be brushed on over laquer or acrylic. Only this is not as thick. I prefer to flash coat Krylon Triple Thick on my fish two or three times (making sure each coat is dry before adding the next).Then brush soluvar over the Krylon. One or two coats are all that is needed. This method comes off looking as good as Super-Glaze.One note of caution: Just because your paint is dry does not mean it is cured. I would wait a day or two before applying your Krylon Triple thick.Wait a day, and then apply the varnish. A VERY soft brush should be used. Soluvar also works great on deer noses and gaurds against UV light. Hope this helps, good luck. Dan

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu