from Dan Gill 2004 NTA

Submitted by Dan Gill on 4/30/05 at 3:38 PM. ( ) 216.228.37.235

Greetings to all, Relating to the firing of Joe Kish. I dont have any answers, that were not already given. A few things I know for sure. Lets start at the top.
Mark: He is president. He made a decision! we would have gotten mad if he had not made a decision. He is doing a thankless job where, if you make 50% of the people happy you are doing good. Mark if you are doing your best, Thank you.
Dino: Dino angonized over his part in this. He, we all, recognize Joe as an amazing talent. Dino's concern was what about the competitors. I know Dino had a meeting with Joe before the firing. did he try to resolve the issue? obviously. Dino came to me, maybe because I have judged Idaho, and assisted there with Brenda Duvall. Maybe he saw something that qualified me to be good for the competitors. Dino you did your best, and had to make a quick decision. Thank you.
Jan, was not asked to appologize for her comment to Dino. or was she? Jan is another amazing talent, who got hurt by her friend getting hurt. Im sorry about that.
Tom McNeal: you obviously do an out standing job. thank you for the confidentiallity. (which I will get to in a minute). and the support.
you do your best, Thank you.
R.J.: thank you for the role you play in the competition room. I trust you did it to the best of your ability. Thank you.
George: you appear to atand up for the competitors getting the best critique for their money. I am no Joe Kish, but did my best. George, Thank you.
The NTA Board. Wow what a job you guys have. you all are passionate about the positions you hold. Thats why you are there. You are doing your best to make everyone happy. guess what? Thank you.
Joe Kish: as said earlier, an amazing talent. I would have loved to learned from Joe's score sheets. They were not available to me, as it shoud be.(they should not be available)to me. Joe for all you do for the industry. Thank you.
Steve Faechner: NTA board member, and friend, always trying to protect me, and has given me the chance to learn, and teach at his school, A.R.T. knows the trials of being president of a state organization. to Steve, Thank you.
Now for me, Dan Gill: For me to be asked to fill in was bitter sweet. wow what an honor, and privilege. a chance to help 45 competitors. but not liking the reason I was asked. as for as confidentiallity, I had 7 hours to judge 45 pieces. I made a few mistakes, on final scores. I should have given a blue to a bighorn, I believe by Greg Brumfield. to Greg I appologize. To andy Nimmons, I should have scored your hog a little higher, I appologize. That is what I wanted kept confidential. As far as my qualifications, I dont like horn tooting. I have judged gameheads, lifesize, fish, reptiles, I have competed for 15 years. maybe my profile needs updated. I love to share, teach, and help others improve. that is why I love to judge. My fear is that I will overlook the hard work a competitor puts into a piece weeks, and months in advance. I like to look at all the good, not just the flaws in a mount. I am judging utah in 4 weeks. there are people working on their pieces, and are very proud of them. My job is to give as much critique as possible, but my ribbon doesnt have to be low, just because there are alot of critiques. As we get to be one of the Taxidermy gods,(which I will never be) we cant forget the work involved by the competitor. I had to make quick decisions, and messed up alittle. I appologize. It sure is easy to look back and say, "He should have". no kidding. We make quick decisions, and some are going to wrong, some right. no credit for good ones, only blame for what people percieve as bad ones. To all of you involved in teaching, posting here, and getting ivolved for the betterment of our industry, THANK YOU.
Dan Gill

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

oh yea

This response submitted by dan gill on 4/30/05 at 3:52 PM. ( ) 216.228.39.147

and thanks to John Mathews who helped my through the tough spots. This was the first time I met John. A very knowledgable man.
Dan

To Dan Gill

This response submitted by Mark Wilson on 4/30/05 at 3:53 PM. ( Mark@AfricanHunting.Info ) 24.118.33.43

Thank you!

You will always have my respect, and I am sure the respect of all!

Sincerely,

Mark Wilson, NTA President

Joe Kish, the Modern Father of Taxidermy

This response submitted by Sarah on 4/30/05 at 4:17 PM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

Joe sponsered the First of the modern competitions holding Taxidermy Review, also had one of the first Taxidermy Magazines, has judged at many shows, sculpted many many forms, worked for the Museum in Denver CO.

Finally has been in taxidermy longer than many taxidermist have been attempting to mount animals.

But was fired for doing a job he was hired to do. I am pretty sure I would take Mr. Kish's comments on my work to heart.

Sarah, there's another thread you should've used

This response submitted by George on 4/30/05 at 4:44 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.199

What part of "no critique" were you unable to understand? There are many other attributes to Joe Kish that you obviously overlooked. Everyone has skeletons. By the way, let me reiterate his comments. "Poor choice of mannikin. See judge." And you didn't have to pay a dime to get that. You're welcome.

Anybody notice?

This response submitted by . on 4/30/05 at 4:54 PM. ( ) 209.165.183.148

That the 2 that DON'T SEEM TO GET IT are FEMALE? Hmmmmm......The last few days have been pretty intense here.......

when he made

This response submitted by Michael Sestak on 4/30/05 at 10:11 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.133

the comment "poor choice of mannikin see judge"
i bet it was a mannikin he didnt sculpt..or one that wsnt carried by a company he sculpts for..

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu