Size of a taxidermy shop

Submitted by Paul on 7/4/05 at 1:34 PM. ( ) 216.197.128.227

For all you one man full time taxidermy shops, what do you find to be the right size for your shop including your show room. Is 800sq feet about right?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Now double it

This response submitted by George on 7/4/05 at 3:16 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.134

I have one about that size and when I built it, the mason told me that I should build it twice that size. I told him I'd never use all of it anyway. WRONG. Luckily I have a walk-in attic. When you have a fleshing machine, bird tumbler, work table, two freezers and two armatures with shoulder mounts on them, cabinets around the edges with work counters, a couple machines such as band saw, belt sander, vise, and all the hand tools you need along with the paint booth, your floor space is shot. One lifesize bear with a good sized diorama will do you in. If you can afford it, build it bigger to start with. If I had it to do over, I'd have a 35x35 with a walk in attic.

shop size

This response submitted by cpt on 7/4/05 at 3:20 PM. ( ) 68.116.208.247

well paul my show room is 800sq. ft. and it gets crowded sometimes. my work area is 1400sq. ft. life size take up room fast. my upstairs is 900 sq. ft. were is do my fish finishing and storage for my habit materials. i am basically a 1 man stop but at times i do get help in for skinning and rough work.

I am fairly comfortable with what I have...

This response submitted by John on 7/4/05 at 3:49 PM. ( JAKE2825@aol.com ) 205.188.116.139

1500 sq feet of working space on a floating slab and another 1200 sq feet of display area.If I ever feel i am getting tight anywhere I just take a wall down and adjust the inside of the shop as needed.Its not as tough as you may think.LOL

Shop size

This response submitted by (Mr.) Kim on 7/4/05 at 4:46 PM. ( ) 69.171.240.121

We currently have a 7,200 square ft main shop. (We employ a few artists) We have storage and additional satellite locations averaging around 700 sq. ft. each.

Depending on your needs, always plan for the future if you can. The one man shop can do well starting at 1,000 sq. ft. and he/she should have ample storage space NOT included with the shop floor plan.

Kim

Shop size

This response submitted by David D. Blevins on 7/4/05 at 8:31 PM. ( info@blevinstaxidemy.com ) 68.70.50.205

Hey Paul, my original shop was 24x36 with ten foot walls. I also had custom trusses made which allowed a full room the length 36' and is 16' wide, so kinda like a second floor..That was 6 years ago, I am now adding an additional 16x36 work area because I just ran out of room to have multiple projects going..Each shop or person has there on routine but I don't like routine so for instance right now this week I am finishing 5 deer, mounting 8 more, altering a form to fit a lifesize deer, preparing a lifesize wolf to mount this week, finishing a habitat on a turkey to go out and the habitat work on a large multiple animal scene. Some people may not like this but it keeps me from getting bored doing the same thing each day. So that is why I needing the extra room. Hope this helps.

Great Advice

This response submitted by Allison on 7/4/05 at 9:11 PM. ( ) 69.19.149.251

Paul, thanks for starting this thread, I've been trying to figure this out on my own for a while now. I have a question about freezer space... Do most of you have chest freezers or Walk- in freezers? How much is really needed and how much would just be a waste of your electric bill?

Thanks, Allison

Allison, freezers are like houses

This response submitted by Jan George on 7/4/05 at 9:19 PM. ( turkeylady@jangeorge.com ) 68.251.110.62

The more freezer space you have, the more stuff you put in them. I use chest freezers. Get by with as few as possible.

Freezers

This response submitted by David D. Blevins on 7/4/05 at 11:03 PM. ( info@blevinstaxidermy.com ) 68.70.50.205

I did have four chest freezers and that became to many and to expensive so I got a walk in freezer the first of the year and that has helped with additonal space and has reduced my electric bill.
David

Shop size

This response submitted by mrdux on 7/5/05 at 12:04 AM. ( mrdux@refugemail.com ) 68.217.188.156

When I started planning my shop I did my own prints and layed it out like I thought I wanted then added quite a bit more room. My building is 40X56. My work area is 28X38 with 10 foot ceilings. My showroom/office/bathroom take up 18X40 then I have a 12X38 unheated work area for habitat(saws, sander,compressor) and storage. I work by myself but still find if I have a bunch going like I do now (6X6 elk, 2 whitetails, 2 bobcats and 3 geese)I still have to walk around some things in progress. I am putting in a 8X10 walk-in freezer soon that will replace 3 chest freezers and an upright. Some things you can never have enough of is cabinets and storage. Also, I would never build a studio without a seperate salt area, a wash pit area, and a washer/drier. Put a little extra time and $$ in your showroom. It will pay off big time!

Crowded......

This response submitted by Hip-O Taxidermy on 7/5/05 at 9:32 AM. ( hipo@direcway.com ) 66.82.9.22

We have a 800 sq ft. show room, main studio is 2400 sq. ft. We also have an additional 950 sq. ft. of outside storage not counting walk in freezer on an acre of land, and it still gets crowded in here, specially when we're shipping mounts. When you get a bunch of 40 X 30 X 30 boxes stacked up to ship my space shrinks considerably. We started out in a 1800 sq. ft. shop and outgrew it in two years.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu