freezer in attached garage sweating and rusting

Submitted by Stella Sgourakis on 10/1/05 at 12:08 AM. ( Stellacms@msn.com ) 65.151.60.214

I have had a freezer in my garage for the past 12-14 years - Now during the past couple months, the freezer is sweating and beginning to get rusty spots on it, I clean it weekly, but nothing I am doing
seems to help. Do you have any suggestions.

The garage is attached to the house and I keep it very,very clean.

Thanks

Stella
stellacms@msn.com

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

I'm no appliance repair guy but...

This response submitted by Hogger on 10/1/05 at 3:23 AM. ( ) 72.234.132.201

Sounds like you got your monies worth after 12 to 14 years service. It's time to retire the old boy. He's sweating profusely doing things that came easy to him in his youth. We all get that way.

freezer

This response submitted by Bill Haynes on 10/1/05 at 7:49 AM. ( ) 66.216.217.11

Stella, what has happened over the years is the warm moist air in your garage has condensed on the cold surface of the freezer. Over this time, the moisture has gradually made its way through the paint or enamel surface. This normally occurs on the lid, as the sides of the freezer stays warm because the condenser coils are wrapped around the sides.
About the only way you can stop this is to move the freezer to an area of lower humidity. You probably can sand it down to bare metal and repaint with some type of rust preventive paint.
Sometimes, they will rust even inside .I have a couple freezers that are 25 years old that have rusty places on them,and they are inside. Of course, the humidity is high here all the time.You can prevent the rusting to some extent by putting some type insulation on the lid, such as an old blanket,etc,but it won't completely stop it.

also...

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 10/1/05 at 8:22 PM. ( ) 67.138.10.137

If you use salt near them, its gonna rust...as will anything else.

Have you

This response submitted by Alex on 10/3/05 at 3:19 PM. ( ) 66.32.46.119

Consider what your electric bill is with that rusty old thing, a new one will probably be high efficiency and save you 50% of your electric bill which could pay for itself in one year.

I know I did when I replace 2 old ones like that.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu