Shop tip

Submitted by Luther on 10/14/05 at 12:02 PM. ( ) 206.74.88.238

Keep a spray bottle of water in your shop, and when you sweep the dusty floor mist it with water first.

This will not only keep the dust down, but it keeps you from chasing those "floaters" around that you blow out of your pile every time the broom makes a pass, and you get the floor cleaner before mopping.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

LOL Luther

This response submitted by George on 10/14/05 at 12:07 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.134

Wouldn't it be a better tip to just keep your shop clean? I have a spray bottle of water, but I use it on clay work and on deer hides before I final adjust them on the mannikins.

Luther

This response submitted by Mark on 10/14/05 at 12:21 PM. ( Shmockaloc@cox.net ) 70.191.114.10

If you are a dusty dude and dont want to smear while you sweep they have a product for it. Mine is green you sprinkle it around over your dirty floor and it grabs dust as you sweep it up. It also allows you to track where you have been cause when the color is gone you have done your job well. Floor/maintenance department. No more mud bud. Good Luck have a gooood season
Mark

I gots to laugh

This response submitted by mike on 10/14/05 at 1:34 PM. ( ) 207.190.72.226

I keep several spray bottles bleach/water, ammonia/water,castrol degreaser, water/water, mineral spirts, etc. sounds like a good tip to me. how dare you give out a tip without asking the hiearchy for approval first! sounds like he is trying to keep a clean shop and spraying before mopping?, wouldnt the mop pickup the mud? geeez

Thanks

This response submitted by Dave on 10/14/05 at 2:53 PM. ( ) 199.152.15.230

Thanks Luther that sounds like a good idea. To bad we are not as perfect as others on here.

that's OK

This response submitted by Luther on 10/14/05 at 7:22 PM. ( ) 206.74.89.55

I am used to george reading my posts and getting something completely off the wall out of them.

Let me spell it out for you... again

1. attach form to mounting stand.
2. rough it up with roughing tool.(this will make dust fall on the floor)
3. Now, mist a little water on the floor before you sweep up and it will make it easier to get it ALL off the floor, and it wont fog your shop up while you sweep.

DUUHHHHH!

Nice Tip

This response submitted by Becky on 10/14/05 at 10:47 PM. ( ) 69.251.85.185

I like your tip. No more slipping around on the foam dust, lol! Some of us do appreciate when others give helpful advice:o)

The thin skins on here would never tan I suppose

This response submitted by George on 10/15/05 at 12:17 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.134

Luther, first off, foam dust and water don't mix at all. I'm rather anal when rasping forms and tumbling birds in corncob grit because my shop is in a detached garage. I catch hell routinely for walking into my house with 'dirty shoes'. My wife keeps the floor in the house clean enough to eat off of. For YEARS, I also did woodworking (building panels and dioramas) in the shop and I learned dust control from the ground up. When I rasp, I have the shop vacuum running. When I Dremel out the nose, I have the shop vac running. When I cut open ducks, I have the shop vac running. When I'm painting or working with papier mache, I'm at the paint booth with the fan running. I never sweep without the vacuum running. Just a habit I picked up over the years. I'm sorry if my cleanliness upset any of your tender sensitivities, but my shop is also where my customers come. I don't have a separate show room and when they come into the shop, they never see hair on the floor or blood or guts. They don't have to worry about dust on their feet or leaning on a counter and getting dirty. First impressions are hard to change and I don't give my customers any reason to doubt that I run a CLEAN shop.

hmmm

This response submitted by Mark on 10/15/05 at 11:54 AM. ( Shmockaloc@cox.net ) 70.191.114.10

Did I flame him too? Its hardly worth the type.

I dont feel badly. Ive had a pissing contest here before. Thin skin is an understatement here. Im gonna keep on typing too. Like it... read it. Dont like it...why did you read it? lmao Have a gooooood season

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu