Why is "CASH" such a bad thing?

Submitted by jon on 10/14/05 at 6:02 PM. ( jonathan@harlequintaxidermy. ) 24.182.109.143

Okay, call me "OLS SCHOOL" or whatever (I'm only 34 mind you) but I grew up being told..

"If you cant buy it with cash, then you don't need it,"

and I for the most part live that way.

I do have A credit card for emergencies, but I don't use it for everyday things and I most surely don't use it online in any manner. I have a checking accout, but once again, I dont use it on a daily basis, infact there isn't even a branch in my town. I live in a moderate sized town with normal commoditites yet still small town flair. I can still go for a 30 minute drive one morning and pay all my utilites in person. The water bill gets paid at the water company. The electric and gas get paid at a 3rd party go between (Kroger) and the cable gets paid at the cable company. Very nice people who make the experience of paying my bills a little more enjoyable. To me, this isn't an inconvience and I get a reciept and no one has my credit card numbers nor is my checking account information floating around in hyperspace somewhere on the internet highway for God only knows who to see.

My complaint: Using "CASH" is turning into hassle... and an expensive one.

For instance.

To pay my phone bill on my normal route, SPRINT PCS is going to charge me $5.00 if I talk to person, plus they wont take cash, instead I have to pay $2.00 additional dollars so that I can have credit put onto a card that is immediately taken back off again. AND THIS IS NOT A PREPAID PHONE SERVICE... I'm just trying to pay my normal bill. I'm paying them to LET ME PAY THEM!

The other day I was trying to purchase a plane ticket from Seattle to DFW for a friend of mine who is coming to visit for Xmas. Well I search online.. and find that the majority of the tickets are averaging about $250 round trip. I went to the local travel agent.. where I could pay CASH for the ticket, but they wanted a $40.00 processing fee. Now, I was planning to run errands the next day which would put a hop skip and a jump from DFW internation airport. I decide to wait and just go to the counter to purchase the ticket there. I get up the next day, check the fare again, and it is still the same and proceed to the airport and to run my errands. I come up to the UNITED AIRLINES counter and ask to purchase the tickets with all the flight numbers and dates. They quote me a price of $580.00. With a bewilderd look, I ask if fares had gone up within the past hour. I was told they had not. So I asked about the $250 fare that I saw online. I was told that that particular fare was still available, but had to be purchases with a credit card over the internet. I was fuming! I can see an internet discount.... to some degree... But a $330.00 difference? BULL CRAP!

Then to totally ice the cake..

Today...

I had recieved a check in the mail the other day. Normally I mail these in to my bank as a deposit (since I don't have a branch locally) and go from there with no problems. This particular bank that the check was drawn on DID have a local branch so I thought I would just pop in a cash it. The teller at COMPASS BANK asked if I had an account like banks always do, I said no.. Then I'll be darned if she didn't CHARGE me $5.00 to cash the check written to me drawn on a local account at that institution. I was furious~ Then she had the nerve to ask if I would information on their "FREE CHECKING ACCOUNTS"? well that was the wrong thing to say to me at that particular moment.. Cause I went off on the little lady and I'm sure she had a very bad day.. I think I made her cry to be honest.. But oh Freaking well! Like I'm going to open an account with an institution who is going to charge people to cash my checks. Yeah right..

I mean seriously.. What is the world coming to? What happened to the days when customer service was a person behind a desk who did a real job....? What happened to the days when people would rather you pay with cash? I mean it is getting to the point that I feel discrimated against for not being "UP WITH THE TIMES"

Anyways.. I just had to vent.. so I will go and sulk over a dead bird now...

Jon~

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

You asked....

This response submitted by Breck on 10/14/05 at 6:19 PM. ( ) 71.137.18.177

....what is this world coming to? Well, it's coming to a cashless society and even a credit card-less socity(credit cards can be stolen) It's written in the Bible that in the last days you won't be able to Buy, Sell or Trade without the "mark" on your hand or forehead. Interestingly enough on some military bases and elsewhere they can't access their accounts until they place their face in a scanner that reads their retinas to ID them. There are also hand scans. Signs of the times!

Wow, you are a human being, LOL

This response submitted by PA on 10/14/05 at 8:50 PM. ( ) 24.3.179.164

I always admire your 98% accurate info you post on the Taxidermy.net but almost never see the "human" side of you Jon. For all I knew you could have been a computer program set up with a set of answers that somehow searched and came up with the correct answer.

I personally have NO problem with a credit card, but never use the internet for paying utility bills and what-not. My credit card gives me 3% off on all gas purchases and 1% on everything else. In the last 8 years or so I have earned about $400.00 by using the card. I also have never payed one cent of interest. The credit card is paid off EVERY month and between me and my wife we usually charge about $2000.00 worth, earning us between 20-30 dollars depending on how much gas is bought.

Give into the dark side!

Dark Side? Oh I don't know... Momma told me to stay away

This response submitted by jon on 10/14/05 at 10:03 PM. ( jon ) 24.182.109.143

from that side of the street! Bad things happen to folk that cross the street to the Dark Side.. (HAHAHA)

I'm glad that I did manage to convince someone that I am still human on most accounts. And shucks.. they even think I'm right about things 98% of the time! Boy do I have you guys fooled!

Jon~

Cash is Good!

This response submitted by Becky on 10/14/05 at 10:45 PM. ( ) 69.251.85.185

I love cash too! It is tangible, and I like that. I think it stinks that the bank charged you to cash a check written from THEIR own bank. That IS crap! A lot of people write checks to me, and I like to go to their banks to cash the checks. I have not paid a fee--YET! I can sense it is going to end up that way though. Just like lousy ATM's. Jeez, I have to raise my son in all of this. I don't have a credit card either, and I don't want one! Everyone I know has terrible credit card bills, and I am resisting the "card" as long as possible. And when I do get one, it will be frozen in a block of ice in my freezer, lol!

Breck: What Bible verse was that?

This response submitted by Bill on 10/14/05 at 11:08 PM. ( ) 24.165.154.154

Jon, I support your conclusions; and I agree with you (Breck) regarding the conditions of the world, but a gentle caution in regard to your bible verse. I assume that you're referring to Revelation 13:17 which refers to "buying" and "selling," but nothing about "trading."

A little misquote of what God said could have terrible consequences. Look how much trouble it got Eve into with the Serpent in the Garden. The text never said that God told them not to "touch" the fruit, only not to eat it. (Compare Genesis 2:17 with Genesis 3:3) Perhaps she saw the serpent touching it, and since he wasn't dead, it made his accusation against God seem right? She must not have been a "detail" person. :( Probably wouldn't have made a very good taxidermist....

Blessings to both of you guys!
Bill B

Jon, I thought that was illegal

This response submitted by George on 10/14/05 at 11:54 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.134

I thought charging a service fee for cashing a check drawn on a bank by a second part was illegal. I don't know why I think that but I THINK I read about it when I was setting up my credit card account with my bank. You should call them and ask what the SEC has to say about that practice. The person who wrote the check is paying for that bank to provide that service to you and they shouldn't be hitting you TWICE with paying for that service.

As for credit cards, Becky's right. Cash is a dying commodity. You can't reserve a plane ticket, rent a car, or get a hotel room reservation without a credit card. It's the price we pay for "convenience".

service fee

This response submitted by Becky P on 10/15/05 at 10:33 AM. ( ) 64.12.116.134

If it's illegal to charge a service fee, then there are at least two different banks here breaking the law. One charges a $5 fee if the person writes a check to me on their business account and the other charges $3 no matter what. But yet they can check the account and tell me if the check is "good" for free. Makes a lot of sense to me - NOT. BP

I stand corrected Bill

This response submitted by Breck on 10/15/05 at 12:31 PM. ( ) 71.137.28.255

I quoted that verse from memory and didn't look it up. I suppose then that someone can trade their mounts for food, gasoline etc during that time and manage to escape all those things. I'm not a very good taxidermist either as evident by my lack of detail.

They all cHARGE

This response submitted by aLEX on 10/15/05 at 12:32 PM. ( ) 66.32.35.205

a service fee for everything, it is a fight tooth and nail with the big corporations ,which in reality are runninig this country, and the people into bankrupcy.

and watch your cell phone bill, they are tacking on stuff that you don't even know what it is.

When I lived in

This response submitted by Ken R.Walker on 10/15/05 at 2:39 PM. ( () ) 161.184.204.97

Norway ,because of the high taxes ,everybody dealt in cash.The rules were;If you make black money,you must also spend that money and never keep receipts.That way people always had money.Goverments of the world are pushing for a cashless society(after gun control is implemented of course!)Wonder why?LOL

Check out Dave Ramsey

This response submitted by mrdux on 10/16/05 at 8:48 AM. ( mrdux@refugemail.com ) 68.217.147.100

My wife and I attended a Dave Ramsey Total Money Makeover Live event in Nashville on Sat. I have the chance to listen to his radio show most every day. He debunks many of the myths about using and taking credit cards. His teaching is to use cash or debit card for everything, get out of debt and stay out, and live like no one else so later you can live like no one else. Many of the problems we have with banks is because we aren't willing to find out how they deal with fees and why. I left a longtime bank recently that had changed hands about every month and had changed their rules every time. I found a small bank that actually has folks who are allowed to make decisions without talking to some corporate goober. They appreciate my business and that's where it will be until they change hands monthly (hopefully never!).

Its going to get worse.

This response submitted by Rorie on 10/16/05 at 10:05 AM. ( ) 162.40.174.10

Some places are already going to a finger print with electronic transfer, even retina scans.

Deal in cash, all final payments in cash regardless of how well you know the person.

You will find IT TAKE A BRAIN to deal in cash, you must think ahead, plan holy cow, I said plan what you are going to do ahead of time.

I see from many post the younger set has almost failed to learn how to plan short or long term. They want supplies now, they are ready to mount their animal now. Then get mad because they are not the center of their suppliers attention.

I have been dealing in the cash market since going into business, I dont pay interest on credit cards, Well I dont have credit cards, I do findout the cost and have a postal money order when the supplies come COD.

Yes it is harder for the IRS to track a Postal money order than a check. I go to shows and buy my supplies when possible, I cut shipping, get the show discount and much of the time I can order and they will bring my order to the show.

Plan ahead.

Excellent!

This response submitted by Becky on 10/19/05 at 12:24 AM. ( ) 69.251.85.185

Excellent advice, Rorie--Plan Ahead! Think before you make important decisions. Cash is great, because you can see it, feel it, and count it! You know exactly what you have and exactly what you can afford!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu