Anchoring threaded bolt in form

Submitted by Bill on 10/16/05 at 11:23 AM. ( ) 69.168.254.50

I want to anchor a threaded bolt into the back of a mannikin so that it can be attached to a tree in a group pedistal setting. I plan on drilling an inch and a quarter hole through the backboard and then inserting the bolt and anchoring. My question is am I better anchoring it by pouring in two part foam or filling the hole around the bolt with bondo. I'm not concerned aboout it spinning as I'll drill the bolt and insert a cotter pin through before inseting it into the hole. I/m concerned about the strenth or support as it is a relatively large deer that is being supported.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Bill

This response submitted by Jim B on 10/16/05 at 12:18 PM. ( ) 207.200.116.73

I personally wouldn't use the regular foam that most taxidermists use,2 to 3 lb.density.If I used foam,I would use 10 lb.,I get mine from Hide +Beak Supply.Bondo might work if you have a good cross pin in the bolt.It would be better yet if you made a second pin about an inch away from the threaded rod,and parallel(1/4" smooth rod)so when you tightened the rod,it couldn't spin.This second rod only needs to go into the tree 1".Better than bondo would be Fantasticast or Pora Cast.These urethanes are so thin that they seep into every pore of the foam and wood and set up very hard.Also grinding 2 flat sides on your threads where they will be embedded in the form ,will help too.Prevents turning.

Mix resin with Bondo

This response submitted by buzzi cook on 10/16/05 at 12:45 PM. ( olytax@aol.com ) 207.200.116.73

before catalyzing to thin the viscosity before pouring in your forms cavity. Being thinner it will flow into everything and everywhere. Also do not make your hole round, take a screwdriver and pull some chunks from around the sides of the round drilled hole to anchor it better. When doing this I always have small one inch pieces welded to the bolt for stopping spinning. My favorite is using all thread rod...cutting to length...then screwing a nut into position then a lock washer then another nut..tighten...some super glue...and bingo you have it done.

glue

This response submitted by Richard G. Santomauro on 10/16/05 at 3:20 PM. ( rgswildlife@yahoo.com ) 4.250.147.34

I have been useing ULTIMATE GLUE by elmers it works just like foam, it expands, but it is very strong.Once it is used you will need to jackhammer it off to remove it.

www.rgswildlifetaxidermy.com

Polyester resin

This response submitted by Alex on 10/16/05 at 8:15 PM. ( ) 66.32.35.205

Will do the same and harden quickly, if you want to make stronger just add chopped fiberglass and it will pour easily as water.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu