bondo/resin mix

Submitted by Rich on 10/17/05 at 7:00 AM. ( finfeathr@aol.com ) 205.188.117.9

I have been reading alot on here about mixin resin into bondo to thin it out..I was just wondering...do you use the cream hardener, or the resin catalyst, and is the working time the same, or does it take longer for it to set up? thx, Rich

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

i used

This response submitted by sam on 10/17/05 at 7:19 AM. ( ) 211.27.82.99

The cream hardener as i heard conflicting things.

1 person said they mix up the resin with its catalyst and the bondo with its and then combine the two.
Another said throw both in when mixing resin and bondo.
Then i read in here somewhere that resin & bondo are the same things sort of,(bondo just has additives in it) so just to use the cream.

Anyhow.... it took a little longer to 'setup' than say plain bondo. I used it for casting pigeon & rat carcasses and rabbit heads.

OK, guys, now think about it

This response submitted by George on 10/17/05 at 7:37 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.134

Bondo is the name brand for a body filler that is made of fiberglass resin. The resin is saturated with "microballoons" of a polymer. Often times, I add additional Cabosil, which is a thickener used in all fiberglass work to keep the catalyzed resin from sagging when it's painted on. Now since Bondo IS fiberglass resin and the hardener is a catalyst FOR fiberglass resin, why would you think you needed to add BOTH catalysts. Bondo uses a colored resin to give a visual effect to the craftsman so that he can see shadows and contours more easily against the perforated metal in auto body work. The clear catalyst used in pure fiberglass allows for different colors to be added to it so that things like boat and yacht building can be done with those fancy color schemes.

BTW, West Marine has some of the most accommodating fiberglass and catalyst going. If you buy a one gallon kit, you get a gallon of resin and a quart of hardener. THEN you buy the pump adapters for the can. Mixing is a breeze as you mix pump for pump. The pumps dispense just enough of each to properly mix them. When I thin Bondo, I just use the single pump from the resin can, so in the end, I end up with catalyst left in the quart can.

lol

This response submitted by sam on 10/17/05 at 7:30 PM. ( ) 211.27.82.19

The only reason George.....it was 'written' in the orange button bible. lol
As i mentioned - i didnt use both - that sounded dumb. ;-)

sam, I apologize

This response submitted by George on 10/17/05 at 10:04 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.134

I just read the first sentence and missed the gist of your remarks. I was suffering gasoline ass too I suppose. Sorry.

I always use both

This response submitted by newbirdman on 10/18/05 at 6:24 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.134

I dont care what George says , I've been doing this for over 30 years and I use both harders . The only reason is ,if you have your mix and just use the bondo hardner , it doesnt get hard , but if you just use the clear MEKP it will harden . The main reason I use both is that the bondo hardner makes it easier to see if its mixed fully as it turns color and I think it helps harden it faster . Rick

Newbirdman is WRONG

This response submitted by GB on 10/18/05 at 9:19 AM. ( ) 63.23.143.117

It will harden with just the cream catalyst. I haven't been doing this for 30 years just a lil over 10 now but trust me it will harden. Like you I mold plenty o' fish and their parts and have rarely added the liquid catalyst. One must be aware that leaving out the required catalyst will retard the cure time but it will cure. You can use one or the other or both and it will cure - try it and you will see for yourself.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu