How should I go about getting my deer?

Submitted by Don B on 10/17/05 at 8:59 PM. ( ) 165.121.210.250

Here's the run down. I shot a nice 8-point last November and took it in to a Michigan Taxidermist to be mounted. He told me it would take 2 months. I did not hear from him for 3 months, so I called him. He said he just started working on it the day that I called, and it should be done in about 3 weeks. I did not here from him for another 2 months and could not get ahold of him (did not return calls). I finally went to visit him, and told him that I was not mad that it took longer because I know it takes a while, but it made me mad that he told me 2 months when he could not deliver that. JUST TELL ME THE TRUTH! he apologized and said he would work on mine next. It sould be ready in 2 weeks. I did not hear from him for another 2 months so I have been calling and he keeps telling me next week, next week. He says its mounted, but still has to be finished. I am so pissed off that I am thinking about just going and getting my deer in what ever shape it is in and taking it to someone who wants my buisness. What is the best way to deal with this? I sure as hell am not giving him more money to work on it faster. If he gives me a hard time about getting it what are my options.
Thanks for your help, I should have just paid more and dealt with a better buisness who cares about their customers and thier reputation.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Bring your work too me

This response submitted by Ryan Olson on 10/17/05 at 9:17 PM. ( Ryanolson72@yahoo.com ) 68.74.166.208

Hay don,

If you can get your hide that has been taned and your rack feel free to bring them too me and i will put together a great deer for you. some times we get behind in our work but i always give honest lead times. I shoot for 6 months and try to deliver in 5. If your hide is taned i can have this done for you in a metter of a couple weeks. I am located in Kalamazoo, MI. Feel free toemail me for more information.

Ryan Olson
A Sportsmans Dream Taxidermy

Was he the cheapest?

This response submitted by Mr.T on 10/17/05 at 9:27 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.136

I think you learned you're lesson with you're last line of you're post.
Why did you choose this taxidermist? Was he the cheapest when you were shopping around for prices? I notice that many taxidermists will advertise a 2 or 3-month turn around just to land the jobs. While the good taxidermists that are booked, will tell you the truth and quote 6 to 12 months. So naturally the hunters go with the fast turn around, but doesn't think that the taxidermist goal is to land a years amount of work during the short hunting seasons. So every hunter is told that the faster he gets it in to him the sooner he gets it back. The phone calls that I get are, what do you charge and how soon can I get it back? Very few say to take my time and make it nice. If you are tired of dealing with this guy, man up and go and take it back in whatever condition it's in, and try to find someone that will finish it. But don't tell the next taxidermist that you couldn't wait a year; he or she may turn you down and suspect you as an unwanted customer.
The cheapest bidder is never the best way to go, and why do hunters spend $4000 on a 4 wheeler, big pickup truck, gun with scope and all the extras, $1000 in an archery setup, tons of dollars on sent lock camo clothing, and want the taxidermist to do a trophy mount for under $300. And then cant wait to have it done?

same problem

This response submitted by Matt on 10/17/05 at 9:35 PM. ( ) 24.29.183.96

Don, i wonder if we are dealing with the same guy. I have just about the same thing going with a guy in the U.P. of michigan. Is your taxidermist in the u. p.?

Post his name here!

This response submitted by Doug on 10/18/05 at 7:19 AM. ( ) 64.18.238.226

Don,
One thing you can do is to post his name & busiesss here to put others in Michigan on notice of how the guy operates. I sure would appreciate knowing who he is...eh?!

UP Taxidermists

This response submitted by Hugh on 10/18/05 at 8:50 AM. ( hughjusthugh@aol.com ) 24.213.59.179

Well not all us Yooper Taxidermists are bad! If your shopping for a new guy, take a look at my website www.initaxidermy.com. But I am 9 months on deer. That is 9 months from the date I get your deposit of 50%, not the date the deer came in.

Hugh

Your first

This response submitted by Alex on 10/18/05 at 8:25 PM. ( ) 66.32.37.81

Mistake, was to believe that any descent taxidermist can have a deer ready in two months.

What he only had your deer to work on ?

I would have to hear his side of the story, and I know something is wrong if he told you 2 months, at least here in florida it takes me 6 weeks just to get a cape to dry enough so that I can send it to the tannery, since I don't do dry preserve junk.

any decent taxidermy shop that has plenty of work can be 6 months to 8 months behind, at least that is my case.

So don't send it to me, send it to the two above taxidermist ,iam sure they can screw it up as well as I can,LOL

On a serious note go over there and tel the Jerk to show you the head if it is not done , then pick it up ,it is yours you know?

Don B

This response submitted by Trapper ('s Taxidermy) on 10/18/05 at 10:39 PM. ( ) 69.14.195.217

It is your property, period! You do have the right to stop work, ie. fire the contractor. 1/2 down and balance due at pick up. That seems to be the standard. 1/2 down is to cover time and materials. In most shops (mine) this is not refundable.

I'm not wanting to, nor will I take in this mount. Probably best to let him finish or lose the deposit. You can re-cape it with this years skin if its a real hack job. Maybe it'll look good, but I have my doubs from what Im reading (Mr.T's words were very elegantly put!)

We are not all like that as you can probably tell by now. Hope that it works out well for you.

Trappers Taxidermy
Dearborn Height Mi.

Thanks for the help

This response submitted by Don B on 10/20/05 at 9:20 PM. ( ) 165.121.210.251

Sorry for not getting back sooner, but he was indeed one of the cheaper ones I checked into. I was refered to him by my cousin who had him do a mount last year. The guy does good work (no dry preserve). I think that I have learned from my mystakes and will take my next mount to a more profesional shop. I caught him at his shop the other night and intended to get my deer back then, but it was not there. He says that it is at his other shop (where he finishes his mounts) and that it is done. I was supposed to meet him somewhere tonight to go get it, but I got out of work a little late and showed up about 15 min late. He was not there! I think he said he was going out of town for the weekend, so hopefully I will get ahold of him next week and this will all work out.

He is not from the UP, he is actually located in the lower part of the thumb. I think I will wait and see if I get the deer back next week before I post his name on here. I will post it after that though.

Thanks again, and I will let you know what happens.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu