Think your DNR knows anything about fish - think again.

Submitted by Cecil - Baird Fish Taxidermy and Fish Farm on 10/20/05 at 9:53 AM. ( ) 64.184.41.190

I've been contacted by someone in another state which will remain nameless (at least for now) about getting a yellow perch to cast. The fish is for that state's fish and game department. Seems he ordered a blank of a large female perch and the response from the game agency was there is no way a perch can get that "fat." I just had to laugh! Don't they know up to 30 percent of a yellow perch's body mass can be in eggs just before spawning. Shouldn't they know that?

It gets better. They finally accept the fish but want a male to go with it. A 16 inch fish. A skin mount! Yeah! 16 inch perch are easy to find. LOL Most state records aren't even 16 inches! And I guess they don't know males don't get anywhere near as big as the females so 16 inch male perch is next to impossible.

My God these people are managing our natural resources! What do they learn in college? I have a measly two year science degree and I knew the above 30 years ago!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

If you

This response submitted by Alex on 10/20/05 at 10:54 AM. ( ) 66.32.37.81

ever get a 24 LBS bass let me know,LOL.

Well the DNR in Fla is no better, I took my grandson for a safety course and as they went through slide shows , they showed and elk pic and the teacher said,this is a deer, then they show a pic of a gadwall and said this is mallard a pic of a cabe breaker rattler he said it was a diamond back, so I began to correct him, he got pissed at me and through me out,lol

I am sure

This response submitted by Tenbears on 10/20/05 at 10:54 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.134

That every word you have said is factual. However what we must consider here is this. the individual responsible for procuring items for the Departments offices, or outreach centers may, and probably is not a biologist in fact he/she may simply be a public relations person, or numbers cruncher. the simple fact is that most wildlife law enforcement personal can't recognize a female rainbow, from a male. They can however quote the statute that makes it illegal to catch them before March 1st. In reality, there are far more law enforcement, and bureaucrats, in our state fish and wildlife departments, Than there are Biologists.

Ah Gee Tenbears

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 10/20/05 at 3:36 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.190

There you go with the logic again and I hate to admit it bu you make perfect sense! You just had to ruin my rant didn't you? LOL

Tenbears rules!

Alex a 24 lb. bass probably can't be produced in captivity. If it could be done it would have already been done. I don't think I can get my northern largemouths above 6 pounds. I can grow them faster than in nature but faster growing fish die sooner. It's a catch 22. Then there's my DNR that maintains growing record fish is only a matter of feeding them. Yeah right!

Personally I thing the present world record largemouth should be thrown out. There is no physcial evidence including NO photograph. As inaccurate as spring scales are well...

Bass

This response submitted by Alex on 10/23/05 at 11:49 AM. ( ) 66.32.103.238

as large as 21 LBS are being caught in Cuba Right Now

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu