Sell Wild Ducks, please prove I am right

Submitted by Joey Arender on 10/22/05 at 4:30 PM. ( J32a@aol.com ) 205.188.117.9

I know it's long and probably run-ons, but there are couple of points I would like to make. Thanks for your time! This guy just rubbed me the wrong way.

I believe I know the answer is NO, but I don't do ducks yet therefore have not had a reason to research it much. Being here for the last year has taught me so much and if I have read and understood everything right I would say that it is a big NO NO to sell Migratory birds. I just want to make sure I am right, because a Taxidermist in TN that has been in business for 12 years told me today I was wrong. I told him that you aren't even able to sell them for the cost of materials and he says that he can sell them for what ever the service charge is but not 1 cent more. He also says that even if they have changed the law from last year that his museum permits and work that he does for the state would allow him to. I told him wrong, check again. If I am wrong I will admit it and if you can't help me I'll check the laws Monday. Also what's the cost of a bird permit he says 25.00 bucks I though I read here it was 100.00 or more. Thank You and I would like to print this out to show him tomorrow when I go to meet him. I also told him I thought that even crows aren't legal to sell, he again said wrong.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

PS

This response submitted by Joey Arender on 10/22/05 at 4:38 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.72

just as the lead states, we weren't talking pen raised birds.

Ken Edwards

This response submitted by Joey Arender on 10/22/05 at 4:52 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.72

Will you delete this post Monday I ment to put it in current events so it would not take up room in the archive since it all has been answered before. Thanks Joey A.

Joey, the other taxidermist is flat out wrong

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 10/22/05 at 9:13 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.190

You can't sell migratory birds no way no how unless they are pen raised with papers. Ask the taxidermist if he is willing to argue with a federal agent and you would be glad to provide one. LOL

Why current events instead? This is pertinent to taxidermy.

You are right

This response submitted by Becky on 10/22/05 at 10:22 PM. ( ) 69.251.85.185

Joey, I sure would be THRILLED if they changed the law! As far as I know, it is still illegal to sell migratory birds, even if the customer stiffs you with a mount (I have a few of those, arrgh) I don't think this law will ever change, and your friend can get into a world of trouble if he gets caught selling ducks and geese!

Well Cecil

This response submitted by Joey Arender on 10/22/05 at 10:39 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.133

I figured that since current events aren't archived and I know all of the answers to my questions are,(can you sell ducks, returned some 400 and something hits) it wouldn't be adding to the ones that are already there. I knew that someone would answer my question here so that when I copy and paste this I will have todays answers instead of answers from the year 2000 to show him. Thank you Two for doing so.

Now will someone back me up on the crows, he says they aren't migratory. Thanks Joey A.

Former Dept of Interior employee

This response submitted by http://www.fws.gov/laws/lawsdigest/migtrea.html on 10/22/05 at 10:41 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.138

Been that way since 1918, can't sell any part of a wild duck except feathers and that is only for 2 very limited reasons, fishing lures and insulating clothing if my memory serves me right!
if your in the business I would spend some time reading this
http://www.fws.gov/laws/lawsdigest/migtrea.html
migratory bird treaty act of 1918

This response submitted by . on 10/23/05 at 6:21 PM. ( . ) 68.156.127.126

American Crow Regulations; a synopsis: Under federal laws and regulations, crows are a migratory bird but not a migratory game bird. Existing federal regulations allow the take of crows (consistent with State regulations) under both hunting and depredation order regulations. Under state laws and regulations, crows are not defined as migratory game birds, but as nongame birds. Take under state regulations is allowed under both hunting and depredation and nuisance provisions. Under the State hunting regulations, a license is required, a season is established, methods of take are stipulated. Shooting hours are 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset. Only shotguns, falconry and archery equipment may be used; electronic calls may be used. (Although the crow regulations are published with the upland bird regulations, since they are not upland game birds, but nongame birds, you cannot use the upland game bird shooting hours regulations, but must go back to the Fish and Game Code, Section 3000, for general shooting hours for birds and mammals.) Under State depredation regulations, only the landowner or tenants or an others authorized in writing may take crows at any time and in any number to eliminate depredation, health hazard or nuisance. Shotguns, archery and falconry, and toxicants under additional regulations, may be used. Selected laws and regulations related to American Crows Migratory Bird Treaty Act Migratory bird defined in 50CFR10.13 Includes American CrowMigratory game bird defined in 50CFR20.11 does not include Corvidae (crows) Federal hunting regulations for crows are defined in 50CFR20.133: 20.133 Hunting regulations for crows. (a) Crows may be taken, possessed, transported, exported, or imported, only in accordance with such laws or regulations as may be prescribed by a State pursuant to this section. (b) Except in the State of Hawaii, where no crows shall be taken, States may by statute or regulation prescribe a hunting season for crows. Such State statutes or regulations may set forth the method of taking, the bag and possession limits, the dates and duration of the hunting season, and such other regulations asmay be deemed appropriate, subject to the following limitations for each State: (1) Crows shall not be hunted from aircraft; (2) The hunting season or seasons on crows shall not exceed a total of 124 days during a calendar year; (3) Hunting shall not be permitted during the peak crow nesting period within a State; and (4) Crows may only be taken by firearms, bow and arrow, and falconry. Federal depredation order for crows as defined in 50CFR21.43: 21.43

Thanks all that took the time

This response submitted by Joey Arender on 10/23/05 at 11:10 PM. ( J32a@aol.com ) 64.12.116.133

retype this stuff. Joey Arender

To retype

This response submitted by JA on 10/23/05 at 11:10 PM. ( J32 ) 64.12.116.133

Thanks

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu