Tipping your guide

Submitted by George on 10/24/05 at 2:52 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.202

We had this post a few weeks back but I was glad to see that the NRA had the same question posed to them in their last issue of American Hunter. The suggested tip was a great one that I'll use from now on. The writer said the "standard" should be about $50 a day but that should be a plus or minus figure. If the guide goes overboard in making your hunt memorable, then increase it or add another lump sum to the end. If the guide acts as if you're a pain in his ass and you end up doing a lot of the work on the trail and in the camp, then deduct from it. The author further stated that you should avoid giving the guide some of your used equipment as a gift unless the guide showed a direct interest in the item.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

hmmmmmmmmmm

This response submitted by John on 10/24/05 at 3:46 PM. ( ) 24.177.78.254

Why do we tip guides? Are they not paid for what they do by the outfitter? For that matter why do people pay 9 to 20 dollars for a hair cut and think they have to leave a tip. I understand waitresses who make $2.75 an hour and count on tips, but who started this other mess. How many of you have clients who tip you for your taxidermy work? Maybe I am way off base but unless their living is based on tips like a waitress, why tip them for doing what you are already paying them to do?

Not trying to start anything just food for thought.

Thanks, John

Quit being cheap and give a good guide a tip. :)

This response submitted by Alex on 10/24/05 at 4:01 PM. ( Surfish7@aol.com ) 152.163.100.133

The tip come's from the hunters seeing the guide's hard work. How hard a guide will work for you, not just for a tip but the enjoyment of helping you get a nice animal. Quit being cheap and give a good guide a tip. :)

Iget tipped by some, not all of my customers.

This response submitted by Dan Hudzik on 10/24/05 at 4:14 PM. ( hudzik@madisontelco.com ) 66.242.208.237

In taxidermy you'll more than likely get tips from your good customers. It could be they feel sorry for me only charging $400 a head for my deer! LOL Dan

I never get tips

This response submitted by Evelyn on 10/24/05 at 4:31 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.133

I'm with John here. Why tip a guide when you already pay him pretty good money for what he is doing. I don't get tips from my customers. Heck they make me go into the house to get them their 13 cents of change. I do tip in restaurants, but that's about it.

Me 3.

This response submitted by Doug on 10/24/05 at 7:44 PM. ( ) 64.18.236.229

$50.00 A DAY and maybe more adds up to a considerable sum on a 4-5-6 day hunt. I don't see choosing NOT to tip as "cheap" at all. Many hunts cost thousands of dollars for the outfitter alone...not counting all of the shi...stuff to be bought, travel expenses, food, etc... The guide is paid by the outfitter to work for the client. If he doesn't do a good job the outfitter suffers, so I ASSume the outfitter pays his guides well. The analogy of us not getting tips is a good one. Our customers EXPECT a good job for their money without giving tips. Same with me.

John and others, Im really surprised this needs answering

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 10/24/05 at 8:28 PM. ( ) 67.138.11.223

Its called gratuity. From you, based on your gratitude. Its really that simple. Waitresses get tips, but nobody else? Why? Guides are payed a base figure by the outfitter, girls who cut hair get payed by the salon, etc. Tips are the over and above that they also work for. If nobody tipped, guess what the cost would be...higher. What in the heck is wrong with being able to tip someone? I get tips now and then in my business, an industry which doesnt really enjoy a reputation thats typically tipped. I dunno, I guess I just think folks should get tipped. Maybe its all about where you come from?

In 47 years with thousands of pieces.....

This response submitted by George on 10/24/05 at 9:49 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.133

....I've been tipped ONCE and that was by a guy who probably could afford it. It was a lifesize P&Y Black bear and he gave me $100 more than I charged.

BTW Alex, since you're one of MY CUSTOMERS, I'll be looking out to see who's the cheap prick. LMAO

Don't scare me

This response submitted by wildbill on 10/24/05 at 9:59 PM. ( ) 216.167.166.172

I'm just afraid I'll start having to leave a tip when I get a good piece of advice from one of the pro's from this website. Or what if I have to start tipping Ken for letting me use this website in the first place. Bottom line- when you feel someone has done you right you should always tip or diffently "Appreciate it", and mean it.

sorry

This response submitted by wildbill on 10/24/05 at 10:02 PM. ( ) 216.167.166.172

should be "diffidently"

I didn't say you should not tip....

This response submitted by John on 10/24/05 at 10:15 PM. ( ) 67.33.243.100

...I just said I don't see the need. Around here the most if not all of the salon girls and guys are subcontractors they pay booth rent and set their own prices. I have been tipped for my taxidermy work however, I told him I didn't expect it and it was not necessary. This man was pleased with what he got and that I had finished the deer in time for the deer classic per his request. I did not charge him extra for the quick turn around and he knew he could not have gotten it done in time anywhere else for less than double the price. The next week he brought me another deer and when I returned the finished piece he paid me what I quoted him and no tip. So, I can see tipping if someone goes above and beyond, and accomplishes something for you whether you requested it or not. But not for just doing his job.

John

I guess what Im trying to say is...

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 10/25/05 at 1:05 AM. ( ) 67.138.11.16

Its not REQUIRED in most instances, but gratuity is...gratuitous!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu