Why kill an animal for taxidermy?

Submitted by Onyx on 10/24/05 at 3:26 PM. ( Sparkybuddy@hotmail.com ) 81.131.151.223

Why do so many taxidermists still insist on killing animals so as to 'bring them back to life' through taxidermy. In the UK and much of Europe, most taxidermists source their animals from those that have either died naturally or been killed on the roads. No UK taxidermist kills animals for it.

"Taxidermy is a very misunderstood profession. Many people believe that it depends on the killing of animals. This was true in days gone by when the only way to identify certain species was to kill and preserve them.
These days many specimens are found at the roadside. Road traffic is the largest cause of death to wildlife in the U.K. Consultants to the British Trust for Ornithology estimate that almost 2 million creatures are killed on our roads every week (104 million per year) and although many are damaged beyond repair, a large percentage are left at the roadside with little damage. The use of these specimens presents no threat to our wildlife." says the UK Guild of taxidermy.

Wildlife management/ control is also unnecessary in most cases, as animals will control their own numbers. E.g. in areas with high fox populations, vixens have smaller litters. No matter how many foxes are killed they will always recover their numbers by the next year, but their numbers will never rise because litter numbers will decrees. the same can be said of many animal species.

I can understand hunting an animal like a deer for food and making use of the hide, but other than that there's no excuse for it.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

George?

This response submitted by Native father on 10/24/05 at 3:38 PM. ( ) 66.216.217.11

?

This is just knee jerk reaction but

This response submitted by mike on 10/24/05 at 3:41 PM. ( taxidermy@mwt.net ) 207.190.72.226

I'm sure glad my family fled Europe, Americans have freedoms that you guys dont have didnt want to do it your way in 1628 and dont want do it your way in 2005! Animals control there own numbers,how's that through disease! geez just go away!

Onyx

This response submitted by Becky P on 10/24/05 at 3:47 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.134

That's fine and dandy if you live in a state that ALLOWS you to have roadkill. It's illegal in Texas. Law here considers it the same as road hunting. Whether you killed it or found it along side the road, makes no difference to them. It's a shame, I know, but that's the way it is, here anyway. BP

I hope

This response submitted by american on 10/24/05 at 3:51 PM. ( ) 12.40.253.102

that you will control your species and not reproduce. Your statements show how little you know about wildlife and the field of taxidermy. OK, you can shove your head back up your a$$, now that you have pulled it out long enough to spew your twisted view of the world.

You Idiot!

Onyx, onyx, onyx

This response submitted by Dan Hudzik on 10/24/05 at 4:21 PM. ( hudzik@madisontelco.com ) 66.242.208.237

I suppose you know EVERY taxidermist in the UK? You said "No UK taxidermist kills animals for it." Thats a mighty bold comment that I am sure you can't back up. As far as road kill goes maybe we are just smarter and realize that roadkill makes a crappy specimen. Then like said above already it is illegal in some states to pick up roadkill unless they are in season and in some states it is just plain illegal no matter if they are in season or not. Good Luck to you. Dan Hudzik

Well

This response submitted by ByGolly on 10/24/05 at 4:49 PM. ( ) 63.170.184.188

I for one enjoy the thrill of the kill and the taste of the fresh heart and the warmth of the blood running down my chest.

To pick something up along the road would be uncivilized. Since you didn't kill it, the animal's soul does not belong to you. It was not killed after a fair chase but was struck by some malcontent driving a Ford Motor Company product. How unseemly is that. Yuck!

You Brits have lost the thrill of the chase, the satisfaction of a clean kill and the ultimate pleasure of dismembering the animal. What a shame.

I smell a Troll.

This response submitted by Rorie on 10/24/05 at 5:13 PM. ( ) 67.141.89.210

Yup cause its fun, you wanna be next Oryx?

The biggest threat to wildlife is the people who are antihunters.

You dont put any money into preserving wildlife or endangered animals.

In America did you know hunters are the ones supporting nonhuntable wildlife.

I wish the laws were changed to allow people to have nongame birds mounted to alone I saw two fresh owls and a red tail hawk laying on the road. WHat a waste but some idiot somewhere who doe not know crap about wildlife refuses to allow them to be mounted.

Put some taters on the plate beside my venison please.

taxidermy deaths

This response submitted by angry american on 10/24/05 at 5:24 PM. ( ) 24.147.192.28

Hi Onyx, your question about death in taxidermy got me to thinking. I'm glad that taxidermy in the U.K. is so much more sophisticated and humane than the way it's done over here in the colonies. You must be unfamiliar with the way we do things over here, but please be aware that it is possible for one to take their deer to the taxidermist and eat it, too. It is a hard fact of life that everything that lives must eventually die as well. Do you actually think that an animal killed by an automobile in the U.K. feels any differently than an animal felled by a well-placed bullet from my rifle? It seems that you are in need of a more enlightened view of life which acknowledges that people from different cultures usually conduct their lives somewhat differently than others.Then again, that is a cultural message that you Brits have historically had trouble understanding.

Another Euro animal rights puke

This response submitted by George on 10/24/05 at 5:29 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.134

I could ask a better question: Why doesn't natural selection take you out of the breeding chain? If it had any brains it would know that we are TAXIDERMISTS, not "Butchers" "slaughter house workers", or anthropocentrics. God sent mad cow and hoof-in-mouth to the UK for a reason. Clean up your own back yard before you start slandering a profession you know nothing about.

now now

This response submitted by Ed on 10/24/05 at 6:58 PM. ( ) 84.68.45.11

where not all complete anti's I enjoy pheasant shooting and wilfowling thought i shoot the birds for the table i do use some for taxidermy. and enjoyed fox hunting when it was legal
the think is over here theyv banned so many things
- handguns
- hunting with bows and crossbows
- hunting with dogs
- trapping

most people over here think that meat comes wrapped in polythene from tescos

I think your point is

This response submitted by Doug on 10/24/05 at 7:16 PM. ( ) 64.18.236.229

pointless. Your criticism of killing animals is absolutely absurd. Most of what we get was not killed FOR taxidermy. Brits like you are so ANTI that you think it's a sin to even keep a fish to eat or mount. To a conservation (wise USE) minded person, your post is totally unacceptable, and runs counter to all biological principles of game management. Keep your ignorance on your side of the ocean...eh? Ed, you're OK in my book. How do you maintain your composure surrounded by bloody BAHStuds like oiknz?(LOL)

Answer

This response submitted by Paul I on 10/24/05 at 7:40 PM. ( paulblastoatyahoo.com ) 209.210.35.46

Its because we can.Next question.

Onyx

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 10/24/05 at 8:03 PM. ( ) 67.138.11.223

I doubt you are for real, and if so, Ill take a shot in the dark and figure you are a few years away from being an adult. Regardless, the reason animals are killed for taxidermy, as YOU put it, is simple...Thats the only way theyll hold still through the process.

Now, maybe you havent grasped the system as we have it. Hunters take an animal, for whatever reason they choose, and bring them to us to prepare as taxidermists. We dont kill them for this service.

We also have no problem whatsoever using animals as we see fit, be it for consumption, decoration or otherwise. We make no excuses for it, nor do we need to justify it. The Lord is ok with it, our culture is for the most part, and quite frankly, we do it based on our own conscience. My conscience is clear...is yours?

Hey sparkybuddy!

This response submitted by wildbill on 10/24/05 at 9:49 PM. ( ) 216.167.166.172

I take it that the UK doesn't even have a web site for you to post your opinion on. So you have to come and use ours. Born and bread in the good old U.S. of A. You should be more concerned about bird flu or something.

Problem

This response submitted by Becky on 10/24/05 at 11:06 PM. ( ) 69.251.85.185

The Problem we have here in the USA is this:

**We are not allowed to mount birds we find on the side of the road..........Ok, we are "allowed" to mount them, but the bird Must go to a museum, nature center, school, etc. with the proper permit. It has been very difficult for me to find an organization that will pay me to mount the beautiful birds that have been found dead. I would LOVE to only mount those wonderful birds that have been found dead, but it is hard to find someone with all of the legal paperwork and $$ to pay for the mounts!

Becky

ONYX

This response submitted by KILLER on 10/25/05 at 6:45 AM. ( ) 69.144.133.114

ONYX I WOULD LIKE TO PUT YOUR HEAD ON A PLACARD TO BE VEIWED BY ALL TAXIDERMIST'S

Hey Onxy

This response submitted by Dal on 10/25/05 at 7:49 AM. ( dedunagan@earthlink.net ) 68.158.162.5

I guess your ancestors should have gotten on that boat way back yonder, and got out of Dodge while the getting was good. If they had done that, you to could now be enjoying that great American freedom of "The Right to Keep and Bear Arms". Roadkill is not very appetizing to me. I like the meat fresh! I can't imagine how it is to live in a country, The UK, that has the masses busting their butts so they can keep paying those outrageous taxes, just so the Royals can live so high and mighty, while much of your country is just as Hitler left it! We as Americans have some pretty messed up stuff, but we are still living in the best place on the planet, bar none! Now go and have your tea and shortbread cake and ponder the real problems of the world. Taxidermy is a byproduct, not the main objective, of hunting. Get a clue guy.!

No UK Taxidermists kill just so they can mount it.

This response submitted by RJ Simington on 10/25/05 at 12:00 PM. ( animalartsnw@charter.net ) 66.190.239.149

Hogwash!

I guese none of them have Ever gone to Africa or anouther country to collect a species for there own trophy room.
It is the same thing, You dont take the meat home with you so all you are getting is the skin & horns.
Besides that every country including yours has a Museum & most of those animals were shot with a gun.
Your hollier than though attitude just wont work on this site.

Annoyed

This response submitted by Becky on 10/25/05 at 9:02 PM. ( ) 69.251.85.185

This Onyx person has not visited the post since day 1. Either he is afraid, or this was a joke post to get everybody stirred up. In any case, at least we said our peace!
Becky

Hmm...

This response submitted by Onyx on 10/26/05 at 1:19 PM. ( Sparkybuddy@hotmail.com ) 213.122.90.202

How can you justify killing an animal for something so frivolous as taxidermy? And it's not that i hate taxidermy, I collect it, both antique and new road kills. But EVERY animal has an equal right to life, or at least they should do. Just because humans are more 'intelligent' doesn't make them any better than any other animal. ALL life is precious.
I've been studying animals and Natural history since before I could read when i taped documentaries off TV. I would like to be a taxidermist, but I would never kill an animal for it. I have also met British taxidermists who say the same, that it's wrong to kill an animal for taxidermy.

Go back thru and read again

This response submitted by ladyhunter on 10/26/05 at 10:00 PM. ( ) 38.119.116.86

Onyx,
did you really read all of these posts? They told you, we don't kill FOR taxidermy purposes. My family lives off of what we kill. That is how we survive. If it happens that something we kill looks to be a promising specimen to keep, Then we mount it. But our purpose isn't to look for something to kill so we can hang it on a wall or put it on a shelf. Its population control and our survival. We have chosen to do it like our grandfathers did. And we feel good about it.

onyx

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 10/26/05 at 10:18 PM. ( ) 67.138.10.124

Let me use a universal phrase...wise up! We explained, both in fun, as well as serious, why we do...or dont. By the way, animals do not have rights to live, etc. They are here for our use. We feel we use them wisely. Period. Next question?

If you hate killing.....

This response submitted by Becky on 10/27/05 at 11:14 PM. ( ) 69.251.85.185

If you hate killing, then you should REALLY hate keeping pets. That is much more cruel, because to keep a pet is to hold it captive against its will, for its entire life. A lifetime of suffering is worse than a minute of death.....(I type this as I have my cockatiel sitting on my shoulder, lol.)

untitled

This response submitted by Onyx on 10/28/05 at 2:22 PM. ( Sparkybuddy@hotmail.com ) 213.122.145.209

'By the way, animals do not have rights to live, etc. They are here for our use' that would only be true if humans existed before the other animals. Humans evolved only recently and many animals that exist today like crocodiles where around millions of years before humans. Humans would only have evolved to kill prey items like other apes take, and certainly not predators.

I never (at least i don't think i did) say that killing is cruel, it is simply unjust. Humans are animals to, the evolved from the same origins and in the same way as all other animals. If humans are allowed to kill the other animals, than why can't they kill us as they like? After all, we cull animals when their population gets to high or they become a danger to other species (i.e. foxes in Australia), surely it's time for a human population cull?

Keeping pets is not cruel if they are well looked after and able to express natural behaviour. cats and dogs (originally wildcats and wolves) came to humans, humans didn't choose them for domestication. I have to cats who can go wherever the like, if they didn't want to come home than they wouldn't. But they do. I also have a young corn snake who gets taken out of his tank everyday and enjoys handling. I 'make up' for feeding him dead mice by rescuing the mice and rats my cat catches and returning them to the wild unharmed.

Onyx.. I Love Animals!

This response submitted by Pete on 10/28/05 at 8:35 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.139

They're delicious.
I also break for animals.. then I eat em and wear their skins.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu