Liver Disease?

Submitted by BWS on 10/24/05 at 7:49 PM. ( brandontaxidermy@yahoo.com ) 148.78.243.26

Hello all. We just took our dog (a very loving catahoula) to the vet and found out he has liver disease. The vet says that it was more than likely caused by eating something toxic. I asked him if it could be from something used in the shop. He asked me to name the items/chemicals in the shop, and what he would have had any access to; and i told him. He said that he did not know of anything off hand that he had access to that would cause the disease. However, liver disease is rare in dogs....and this is our second dog with the condition (the first one did not survive)

BTW-i do not allow the dog in the shop, but on occassion he does sneak in with a customer.

So..this is my question...does anyone else have this problem with their dogs?

Thanks,
Sheila

ps: i know this sounds crazy-but say a little prayer for the pooch, he belongs to my 3 & 5 year old girls.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Lost a Dog 3 years ago

This response submitted by Kay Bowman on 10/24/05 at 8:10 PM. ( ) 68.185.213.168

I lost a beloved dog three years ago. And the vet tried hard to figure out what was wrong with her.She ran all kinds of test. Her blood cells were being sent out into the blood stream before they were completely developed. The Vet said they would eventually clog up her organs - which they did. We spent almost a $1000 trying to save her - she was taking I V of water daily for weeks. She finally got in such bad shape we had to put her to sleep. This dog was in the shop with me daily but on a leash and did not think she got into anything. But I will never now for sure what happened to her. My new dog is rarely in the shop - she just doesn't being out there. Sorry to hear about your dog. I hope they can do something for it. And it is not crazy to pray for pets - they are so much a part of our families and I will say one for your dog.

dog gone at jonnies

This response submitted by jonnies on 10/24/05 at 8:33 PM. ( withheld for fear of the x ) 216.46.212.219

Hare at jonnies,we'all put a huge doller on ar doggies,keep my hound dog for my shop sucurity,never had a breekin yit.yall got to try it.ya-they dont last long -all them vittles that fall out that black tanner we use.,man they sure do gobble that stuff,cuts down on the ole'roy bill.cuztermurs dont wipe there feet off though when they come in to get there deer horns-that stinks!yall have that trouble?

As far as I am concerned

This response submitted by Evelyn on 10/24/05 at 8:41 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.204

Pets of any kind, whether it be a cat, a dog, horse, bird, ferret, etc. are no different then any other family members. They are part of the family and for some people pets actually take the place of children. I never make fun of anyone mourning their pet or doing everything they can to help their pet recuperate from an illness or injury. I truly hope your puppy will make it and that they can find out what is causing this. Afterall, if it affects your dog, it could also affect you and your family without you knowing it. Something to consider here.

Sorry to hear about your dog

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 10/24/05 at 8:47 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.26

Hope he gets better. I'll be broken up when mine goes. She's ten years old (all 100 pounds) and still acts like a puppy. She's a mutt which is the kind I like to have. Part german shepard part collie. Growing up we had purebred birddogs but the mutts we had as pets always seemed smarter to me.

Sheila, are you aware that dogs have all sorts of physical problems due all the inbreeding we have done over time to get the breeds we have today? And obviously to keep those breeds "pure" we have to continue to do so. I read somewhere that 20 percent of all dogs have some kind of physical problem due to this. It's not always abvious as it can be internal and it may not show up until later in their lifespan. Bad genes more easily pair up with closely related animals.

Sheila,

This response submitted by Glen Conley on 10/24/05 at 9:52 PM. ( g.conley@verizon.net ) 70.105.118.150

I hate to sound too "101", but was leptospirosis completely ruled out?

Sheila, on another note.

This response submitted by Glen on 10/24/05 at 10:08 PM. ( ) 70.105.118.150

Did your vet send out blood to an analytical lab?

I tried with a Google search to find a lab here in Indiana that had done work for me in the past and struck out.

The name of the lab was Clini-Path, and was in Hebron, Indiana. The only way you can get blood sent in is via a licensed medical practitioner.

The technology that has been around for YEARS is past amazing. One of the clinicians that used to work there once did over sixty tests for me off a single blood sample. He wound up nailing the problem that had defied four of the vets in this area. In less than 24 hours i might add.

Thanks guys,

This response submitted by BWS on 10/24/05 at 10:37 PM. ( ) 148.78.243.26

For all the support. Speckles is only 3 but he is a really good dog-not many pass that test around here (most want to eat our goats..lol). And yes, i know about the pure blood lines (i raised registered dogs at one time-got out of it for that reason). Speckles is 3/4 catahoula and 1/4..something..LOL.

Leptospirosis was ruled out due to nonelevated body temp. Basically this is his issue. Eyes, ears, nose, temp-all normal. Hasn't eaten in 3-4 days. No vomiting, etc. He had blood samples taken today and examined in house with normal red and white cells, but yellow tone in serum samples. I want to avoid any seriously costly vet bills, and long suffering for him. I am going to take him to the vet tomm afternoon for an aftercare visit...if his condition does not improve i will end the suffering. I will not watch him starve to death.

That being said. We would at some time like to have other dogs-but not if they are going to get some mysterious liver disease and go through this again. Any ideas on what could cause this?

Sheila

Ps: my husband brought up an interesting thought-we wonder if him chewing on treated wood would cause it. Last time we checked, it contained aresnic?

Sheila

This response submitted by Jim B on 10/24/05 at 11:10 PM. ( ) 207.200.116.74

Not sure what is in treated wood these days but it would be worth checking.I know people that let there dogs chew on scraps of tanned hide.I would never do that.Tanned skins have chemicals that are not meant for consumption.Two dogs with the same problem,there must be a common denominator.Keep looking and good luck.

Sheila,

This response submitted by Glen on 10/24/05 at 11:19 PM. ( ) 70.105.118.150

what about exposures to herbicides and pesticides? Chemicals can enter through a dog's foot pad.

Chromated Copper Arsenate

This response submitted by Glen on 10/25/05 at 12:33 AM. ( ) 70.105.118.150

http://www.bancca.org/Health_Hazards/CCA_Health_Hazards.htm
3.1 General Effects
Very heavy ingestion

The treated lumber.......deck, patio, walk? Do the dogs get underneath if any of the prior? Walk on when wet?

Bottom line......REAL blood work is going to be the way to go.

I always have to be the ugly guy...

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 10/25/05 at 1:02 AM. ( ) 67.138.11.16

Hmmm, the pets are just like our kids, our pets are right in the shop with us, etc etc. Well YOU wear a respirator. Does the dog? Personally, I think that ANY paint, ANY epoxies, ANY chemicals we are using should be handled with care, and our protection is a no-brainer. All the dust that accumulates in our shops is just as bad. And the pets are in it. Have the vet look at their lungs as though it was a human with liver damage due to paint and solvents...hint hint.

PS...I hope the pooches mentioned by you all are fine.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu