quality taxidermy 2

Submitted by Rich on 10/25/05 at 8:02 AM. ( finfeathr@aol.com ) 205.188.117.9

I have another outfitter story...2 clients bring me bears for lifesize last week...with the back feet removed! The outfitter skins them easier that way, they said. They went on to tell me that the outfitter told them that ALL bears from maine are skinned that way, and all Maine taxidermists know they will have to sew the feet back onto a bear mount....I am glad that he didnt cut the front paws off too!
And how many deer came in last season in a very small plastic bag, because the hunter told the butcher he needed the head back for mounting,and thats just what they got...the head..no cape..lopped off behind the ears.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

?

This response submitted by Max on 10/25/05 at 9:47 AM. ( ) 66.244.107.38

I help outfit some in Maine WE DONT skin Bears that way,! Someone doesnt know what they are doing and are after the fast $ !

Not the feet, but I had one last week

This response submitted by George on 10/25/05 at 11:40 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.134

Before he went, the customer came by and advised me that he wanted a standing mount done of his bear. I told him that since he'd come by and was set on getting that done, he could do me a big favor and tell the guide to dorsal cut the bear. He shot the bear and told them and they pulled that "DUH" routine. He insisted and they finally called the outfitter who told them what to do. They still tried to claim how much "easier" it was to ventral split them. One guide, one hunter, all afternoon (they only hunt mornings with dogs)to skin the bear out and then they don't know how to dorsal cut. I hate eastern guides. I get hunters out west and I NEVER have to deal with the 50 pounds of fat or skinning out the head and feet that I get from guides east of the Mississippi. Guides over on this side are just about useless when it comes to proper field care and skinning.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu