George Brittanica vs. Taxidermy.net Forums Black and Tan

Submitted by Glen Conley on 10/26/05 at 3:39 PM. ( g.conley@verizon.net ) 70.105.118.150

For those of you that have never played this game before, what we have is a game of smarts. George Roof takes on all of the Taxidermy.net Forums single handedly in answering any kind of questions thrown out there.

In past events, anyone beating Uncle George would get their choice of a Whitetail Designer Systems reference photo disk. If Uncle George won, he just got to save his honor, but I don't recall him ever winning...........

This event is going to have a different twist to it in the way of prizes for the winner. Who ever wins will also pick out three reference disks that I will have sent to Evelyn for the TERF website to be sold under the winner's name. The winner will have the contents of a disk of their choice e-mailed to them.

Rules: Answers must be presented in order, and numbered, in one post. George will yell at ME if you people violate the rules and I accept your answers in a helter skelter fashion. I would have to look at that as he being correct in so doing.

This one should be a cake walk for someone. Today's challenge is on dog breeds of black and tan colors. Name the breed associated with each of the hints.

1 Small, comes in other colors, short haired, and resembles a larger breed that it is unrelated to.

2. Comes in two size varieties. Originally bred for rodents and other vermin.

3. Comparatively recent breed developed by a pound master.

4. Old breed originally bred for herding cattle. Large sized dog, they were known to knock cows down.

5. Larger than most of it's type. Bred for birds.

6. Originally bred for going to ground, and hunting badgers, comes in smooth, long, wire coats.

7. The only one of it's kind recognized by AKC. Developed in America for pursuit of procyon lotor.

8. Small bird hunting retrieving dog, has other color varieties.

9. Small, named after a king.

10. Little guy from Down Under.

11. Bred for otter hunting.

12. Small to medium size wire coat said to have been crossed with the above breed to create the breed below.

13. Wire coated medium size breed that has seen uses as hunting dogs, police dogs, and dogs of war.

14. Small, long coat that is black and tan at birth but black turns blue with maturity.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

no 6

This response submitted by Mr.T on 10/26/05 at 5:59 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.252

# 6 is missing the word [in] should be 5th word? The quiz is flawed already! :-0

Dawg talk, T, dawg talk.

This response submitted by Glen on 10/26/05 at 6:43 PM. ( ) 70.105.118.150

Ya don't say, "Ol' Bugle has his hind feet on the ground, and his front paws on the trunk of a tree while barking at an animal in said tree."

Ya just say, "Ol' Bugle's treed!".

Now where are your answers?

worken onem

This response submitted by Mr.T on 10/26/05 at 7:45 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.214

still diggen m up.

my guess

This response submitted by Mr.T on 10/26/05 at 8:33 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.214

1. Beagle
2. Silky Terrier
3. Mutt?
4. Australian Shepherd
5. Retriever
6. Dachshund
7. Black & Tan Coon Dog
8. English Setter
9. English Toy Spaniel
10. Australian Terrier
11. Otter hound
12. Airedale
13. Griffon
14. Kerry Blue Terrier

E-mail me on the side with my test score Wiz. Thanks

The English Man says,

This response submitted by jrosbor on 10/26/05 at 11:23 PM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

1. Beagle
2. Schnauzer
3. Rottweiler
4. Old English sheep dog
5. German Shorthaired
6. Wire hair Terrier
7. Black and Tan
8. Boykin Terrier
9. King Charles Spaniel
10. Blue Healer
11. Otter hound
12. Yourkshire Terrier
13. Airedale Terrier
14. Kerry Blue Terrier
So How close am I? Joe

opps!

This response submitted by jrosbor on 10/26/05 at 11:42 PM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

I have 13 and 14 bass ackwards! Joe

If you had left 13 and 14 alone,

This response submitted by Glen on 10/27/05 at 12:35 AM. ( ) 70.105.118.150

you would have only had one wrong answer, but since you switched, you now have two wrong answers for those.

You shouldn't have listened to T on the Kerry Blue any hoo. Kerry Blues are born black, that temporary melanism thing you read so much about.

The above are black and tan dog breeds, with the ones that have color variation noted. A black and tan beagle would be kewl, but they come in black/tan/white, red/tan/white, orange/tan/white, and I am not sure as to how the last mutation, lemon, is properly described. So, forget beagles for number one!

Mr. English Man, do you think your Welsh neighbors will make fun of you if you don't get #12 correct? You did have four of 'em right, until you switched.

It's my numbering!

This response submitted by jrosbor on 10/27/05 at 1:15 AM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

When I was a strapin young buck, My aunt owned a pet store. I worked there for a few years. Hounds are more my thing.
You mean to tell me that yourkie's and otter hound's don't make an airedale Terrier? What am I missing? Joe

You are missing ten correct answers.

This response submitted by Glen on 10/27/05 at 1:27 AM. ( ) 70.105.118.150

C'mon, make that aunt proud and wrap this thing up.

10 wrong!

This response submitted by jrosbor on 10/27/05 at 2:02 AM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

Too much for me! shoulda stayed away from this one frome the get go! C'mon ya know deer hunting starts in like 4 1/2 hours! I can't think of this kind of stuff! LOL! Good luck to every one else! Joe

dis is korrect eh!

This response submitted by Baron Von Gantry on 10/27/05 at 8:24 AM. ( ) 68.156.127.130

1: der Hund, den Sie suchen, kann von deutschem ancestory nur sein und es muß das Minipinscher sein?

Herr Conley

This response submitted by Baron Von Gantry on 10/27/05 at 8:36 AM. ( ) 68.156.127.130

Herr Conley I sind sicher, daß Sie das Schnauzer da der Hund suchen, um Nr. 2 zu beantworten

Hey Me Laddies

This response submitted by a wee people/person on 10/27/05 at 8:45 AM. ( ) 68.156.127.130

I'd bet me lucky stars the dog in the tri question be the Jack Russell Terrier

Friends Romans countrymen lend me your ears

This response submitted by Julias Gantry on 10/27/05 at 8:51 AM. ( ) 68.156.127.130

#4 is the Rottweiler, and that's my final answer

Give it up Glen you know I am right

This response submitted by 2 guns Gordon Gantry on 10/27/05 at 9:04 AM. ( ) 68.156.127.130

#5 How about the Gordon setter, its the BIGGEST of the setters, and black and tan

6. Dachshund

This response submitted by Von Weinersnittzle Gantry on 10/27/05 at 9:06 AM. ( ) 68.156.127.130

6. Dachshund aka dashhound /weiner dog / lil yappy sob's

B&T

This response submitted by Hold ole Blue Gantry on 10/27/05 at 9:08 AM. ( ) 68.156.127.130

7: is your Black and Tan

#8 sucks

This response submitted by ewe know me on 10/27/05 at 9:38 AM. ( ) 68.156.127.130

#8 too broad, we talking about pure retrievers ( duck/water dogs), or bird dogs/pointer/flushers that retrieve is so I go with a spaniel could be many but I pick springer

9: King Charles spaniel

The rousing sound of bagpipes fills the air

This response submitted by Glen on 10/27/05 at 11:40 AM. ( ) 70.105.118.150

as the whole Gantry clan marches up out of the holler to unleash their dogs of war on Uncle George.

Baron has one of the first three correct, but was wrong on one of the first three. By presenting my reply in such a fashion, it would appear the error rate to be 66.6666 as opposed to 50% incorrect. Wee is wong, and lost his little, stale marshmallows in the bet. Wee should have let Baron handle three, and Baron should have let Wee handle number two. Aye, Lad?

Julias, Gordon, Weinersnittzle, and Ole Blue obviously are in charge of settin' up all the dawg events at the Gantry family reunion. Drag, water races, keepin' revenuers treed.....

Number 8 only sucks for about the first five or six weeks. They'll be eating semi-solid food before then. Then it's right out of the whelping box to hunt snipe and stuff like that. Springers hunt springs. Springers that hunt metal springs and water springs do not come in colors. They are available in transparent only.

Here is my shot at it

This response submitted by Justin Morgan on 10/27/05 at 3:02 PM. ( jcmorgan31@verizon.net ) 12.59.56.78

1. Miniature Pincher
2. Schnauzer
3. Rottweiler
4. Old English Sheep Dog
5. Gordon Setter
6. Dachshund
7. Black and Tan Coonhound
8. Pretty vague but I will go with Cocker Spaniel (american smaller than english but could be either)
9. King Charles Spaniel (English Toy Spaniel)
10. Could either be Silky Terrier or Australian Shepard
11. Otterhound
12. Everything I have found says the Otterhound was bred to three other breeds to make 13 below. The "Old English Black and Tan Terrier, Broken-coated Working Terrier, and the Black and Tan Terrier" If One of those isn't it, then I have no idea.
13. Airedale Terrier
14. Yorkshire Terrier

Justin, you're gettin' awfully close.

This response submitted by Glen on 10/27/05 at 3:37 PM. ( ) 70.105.118.150

You've got nine of them on the right lines.

Any man should know that schnauzers are not black and tan.....

Old English aren't black and tan either.

The breed by the poundmaster bears his name to this day. It's a well known breed.

Silky terriers are considered "blue" factored and not black. Australian Shepherds with tan points are typically tri-colored or blue merle.

One of the questions you missed had been answered correctly by T.

Good answer on 12, but keep diggin' and you'll find a smaller version look alike of 13.

Sic 'em, Justin!

2nd Try

This response submitted by Justin Morgan on 10/27/05 at 5:18 PM. ( jcmorgan31@verizon.net ) 12.59.56.78

1. Miniature Pinsher
2. RAT TERRIER
3. DOBERMAN PINSHER
4. BRIARD
5. Gordon Setter
6. Dachshund
7. Black and Tan Coonhound
8. Cocker Spaniel
9. King Charles Spaniel
10. Australian Kelpie
11. Otterhound
12. WATERSIDE TERRIER OR LAKELAND TERRIER
13. Airedale Terrier
14. Youkshire Terrier

C'mon Glen!

This response submitted by jrosbor on 10/27/05 at 5:36 PM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

Can't you see we don't know our Black & Tans very well! This could go on for days, weeks, MONTHS! Joe

Man, oh man, Justin,

This response submitted by Glen on 10/27/05 at 5:41 PM. ( ) 70.105.118.150

I wish you would hurry up and finish this off so I can get it off my chest.
You need #2, and one more correct answer after that.

Add a black and tan breed you dropped from your first list would answer another question.

The third one that is still giving you a hard time has been answered correctly above.

Good job of sleuthing on #12.

Third Times a Charm

This response submitted by Justin Morgan on 10/27/05 at 6:02 PM. ( jcmorgan31@verizon.net ) 12.59.56.78

Im getting a headache....
I dont know how many I have wrong. You said I need #2 and one other correct answer after that, meaning I have 2 wrong. But then you said adding one I dropped would answer another, and then you say the 3rd one giving me a hard time. Am I missing 2,3 or 4 correct answers?

You other rascals are now disqualified!

This response submitted by Glen on 10/27/05 at 6:23 PM. ( ) 70.105.118.150

Justin now plays alone against the board.

2. RAT TERRIER wrong
Who was the man calling for Marshall Dillon? Man, I thought you would pick up on the hint!

4. BRIARD wrong
You did have the breed named in your first posting. Black and tan, big dog........

Don't forget the rules.....all correct answers in one post.

10. Australian Kelpie wrong
Correct answer is provide above.

Third Try

This response submitted by Justin Morgan on 10/27/05 at 6:27 PM. ( jcmorgan31@verizon.net ) 12.59.56.78

1. Miniature Pinsher
2. Manchester Terrier
3. Doberman Pinsher
4. Rottweiler
5. Gordon Setter
6. Dachshund
7. Black and Tan Coon Hound
8. Cocker Spaniel
9. King Charles Spaniel
10. Australian Terrier
11. Otterhound
12. Waterside Terrier or Lakeland Terrier
13. Airedale Terrier
14. Yorkshire Terrier

Third time's the charm, every time!

This response submitted by Glen on 10/27/05 at 6:46 PM. ( g.conley@verizon.net ) 70.105.118.150

Justin, go to the Whitetail Designer Systems web site and pick out a reference disk for yourself, and then shoot me an e-mail with your choice.

Then pick out three for the TERF fund, and post the names of those here so that people will know what they can buy to help support TERF. Those will be mailed to Evelyn, and you will be listed as the donor on the TERF web site.

Justin, I know you worked at getting those answers, and for that I congratulate you on your perserverance and success. Well done.

Thanks Glen

This response submitted by Justin Morgan on 10/27/05 at 6:51 PM. ( jcmorgan31@verizon.net ) 12.59.56.78

I now know more about black and tan dogs then I ever wanted to know. Gunsmoke was a little before my time so that clue didnt help. Thanks for racking my brain and your generosity. I get onto the selection process. Thanks....

Photo disc selections for the TERF fund

This response submitted by Justin Morgan on 10/27/05 at 7:22 PM. ( jcmorgan31@verizon.net ) 12.59.56.78

I know there are a lot of beginners on here so I chose 3 they would get a lot of use out of.

Winter Buck Eyes 1 stk # wtds pr7
Winter Buck Ears; Anything but forward stk # wtds pr9
winter Buck Noses stk # wtds pr1

Thanks Again,

Justin

AW SHUCKS

This response submitted by Dawg Gone on 10/27/05 at 8:26 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.77

Glen Conley geben Sie an, daß das schnauzer NICHT schwarz ist und Säurenummer Brunnen, den ich bitte, um mich zu unterscheiden ich frage Sie, welche Farbe die Nase der schnauzers ist und Sie WISSEN, sie... jetzt ich fragt Sie schwarz ist, welche Farbe der Esel der schnauzers und WIR ist, wissen beide, daß es Säurenummer....case gelöst ist, jetzt wir den Festus Hagan Jagdhund besprechen:"wer war der Mann, der Marschall Dillon verlangt? Mann, dachte ich, daß Sie auf dem hint"... Glen aufheben würden, den ich Ihr einige neue Jagdhundhunde hier erfinden denke, ein ritten die Festus Hagan Jagdhund thats, die wie das Maultier Festus gehangen wurden, innen an, und Schwarzes und Säurenummer zur Aufladung, gehen Abbildung, gut zurück zu mir Topf Gold unter den Regenbogen!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu