I don't want to do your dog ma'am

Submitted by Ron P. on 10/29/05 at 11:45 AM. ( wisachgak@cabinfevertaxidermy.com ) 12.166.17.68

Isnt taxidermy fun?
For a week now Ive been dealing with a young lady who's pet rotweiler died and she wants it mounted. I told her no, I dont do dogs but she is very persistant.
My full time job is at the local Coop and we sell fuels, she and her family are getting their heating fuel paid for by the township trustee and to be honest (not being mean) the girl just isnt right.
Like a dumb ass I shot her a price I KNEW she could not afford and she agreed but it will have to be "On payments" I should have doubled my price but no matter, I would still be in the same boat. I know I dont want any part of this, I doubt I could even find the right materials if I did want to do it but she wont leave me alone and keeps calling.
Its not that I dont want to make the money but there are several factors involved.
1) As a taxpayer it bugs me to be paying her way through life while she spends her money on luxuries like taxidermy.
2) I have read so many negative opinions concerning pet taxidermy that concern me.
3) I really doubt I could even find the right materials for the job and weather I could even pull the job off right.
4) It would take me months get get all she would owe me for the job if I didnt eventualy get stuck with it in the end.
I feel kind of sorry for the girl, knowing she isnt really pulling a full load and Im not the kind of person to take advantage of others, especially those like her.
I feel bad turning her down but I also know Id come out on the short end if I accepted the job. Even though I am relatively new in business and could use the business I have a full time job and therefore Im not desperate for the job.
She says if I dont she wants to find someone else who will. Any volunteers?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Just a thought

This response submitted by Eric on 10/29/05 at 12:25 PM. ( plstaxidermy@winco.net ) 24.206.164.31

What about finding her someone who does freeze drying? Turn her on to them and let her deal with them. Otherwise, I would wait till all the payments were made before I sarted any work. Look for your materials, but don't order anything until payment is made in full....Eric

We did a Rottweiler

This response submitted by Evelyn on 10/29/05 at 12:25 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.138

and the customer like him. Check him out at www.billingtonranchtaxidermy.com

We'll do it

Ron

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 10/29/05 at 1:19 PM. ( ) 67.138.8.214

Ive read your stuff in here before so I know youre pretty level headed. Try this...she asks, you very firmly say, "No, I will NOT be able to help you with this mount". When she tries to say ANYTHING otherwise, youll then respond with, "Thats the answer and thats final, thank you for calling". Period.

You play with people like this girl, and youll wind up with no positive end. She wont like the mount, or it wont get paid, or youll be second guessing yourself. Put your foot down, be firm, and final. Thats just part of doing business. You are not wrong for declining. Just be firm, and dont beat around the bush.

i talked

This response submitted by norm on 10/29/05 at 1:25 PM. ( norman@fone.net ) 206.168.40.4

i spoke to evelyn just the other night about that, i have my own rottweiler to mount. i called her on some suggestions because i have never done, well, a dog, ive do game heads and mammals., but he is my own pet and i want him mounted and no one else will do him justice enough. i have decided to just carcass cast the dog. so as far as material its all easy to find, just need the money and a lot of time and effort.

Pets

This response submitted by TD on 10/29/05 at 7:19 PM. ( ) 68.68.81.61

Sounds to me like you got yourself into this situation by even giving her a price........People call me to do pets and I just say "I dont do Pets".....I tell them I cant get forms and will not be able to do a proper job,,,,then I reccomend a local Taxidermist in my area (usaully one I dont like)....LOL JUST KIDDING......Always best to just say You cant do it if you dont want it.....GL to u.....

dog form

This response submitted by jan Van Hoesen on 10/29/05 at 7:23 PM. ( vanhoese@freeway.net ) 216.93.94.65

I sculptured a hound dog and the mannikin is for sale at McKenzie. You might find it easier and less time consuming to alter that form than carcass casting a new one. Just a suggestion.
Jan

100% up front

This response submitted by mark on 10/30/05 at 1:55 AM. ( ) 66.255.208.7

Pets I always insist on being paid in full up front. These people are rarely hunters they do not understand this business. They also don't understand why they can't get the dog back in a week. And yes they call and bug the crap out of you generally.

Compromise?

This response submitted by Tanned Hide on 10/30/05 at 12:21 PM. ( Once Upon a Time ) 165.121.146.123

Perhaps you could BOTH reach an agreement?

Offer to skin the dog and tan it, BUT, offer it only as a full pelt (without the stuffing)... ADD NICE EYES THOUGH & Finish up a closed mouth...

OR, maybe just a partial pelt, much like a "Deer Back" wall hanger?

Make a pillow , or, kindly suggest that she could make her own...

This may allow her to feel as though she still has maintained that connection...

dog form

This response submitted by Randall on 10/30/05 at 12:46 PM. ( ) 207.200.116.74

I made an excellent Rotty form. I believe Van Dykes has the mold. Ears are attached.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu