Alert to PA Taxidermists...

Submitted by PA on 10/3/05 at 8:17 AM. ( ) 147.72.68.109

If you have not seen this PGC News Release you should definitely read it thoroughly. It appears that it will be illegal for you to accept any Cervid for taxidermy from the following states..

"States named in the order are: Colorado, Illinois, Nebraska, New Mexico, South Dakota, Utah, Wisconsin and Wyoming; as well as the Canadian provinces of Alberta and Saskatchewan. Parts are banned only from Hampshire County in West Virginia, where four deer recently have tested positive for CWD."

It is illegal for hunter to import..

"Specific carcass parts, where the CWD prion (causative substance) concentrates in cervids, listed in the Department of Agriculture's order as being prohibited from being brought back to Pennsylvania by hunters are: head (including brain, tonsils, eyes and retropharyngeal lymph nodes); spinal cord/backbone; spleen; skull plate with attached antlers, if visible brain or spinal cord material is present; cape, if visible brain or spinal cord material is present; upper canine teeth, if root structure or other soft material is present; any object or article containing visible brain or spinal cord material; unfinished taxidermy mounts; and brain-tanned hides."

Pretty hard to do a Taxidermy Mount on an out of state specimen when it is illegal to import the head or the skull plate. Guess taxidermists will have to do the taxidermy in the state the specimens are shot in.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

link

This response submitted by pa on 10/3/05 at 8:19 AM. ( ) 147.72.68.109

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?Q=165518&A=11

They never learn do they?

This response submitted by marty on 10/3/05 at 8:41 AM. ( ) 24.15.107.136

Illinois tried doing this a few years back - specifically deer harvested from Wisconsin (where CWD popped up). The Illinois DNR posted the same ban/info on THEIR website. I contacted the Illinois DNR stating why on earth would I check my home states DNR's website when I am not hunting in that state? I'm hunting out of state! I got no reply. But guess what? They lifted the ban the following year because they had a gazillion hunters coming back with deer anyway (that had no idea they were illegally importing the deer - WOW what a surprise!). And now, they had no legal way to process them (because meat processors and taxidermists couldn't take them in). So in effect, people were disposing of their deer exactily the way the DNR was trying to prevent! One could only hope that they would start talking to the their other hand one of these days...

Read it all.

This response submitted by Jim McNamara on 10/3/05 at 10:43 AM. ( ) 65.17.191.92

It says you can't bring it back IF there is brain or spinal fluid etc. present on it. (cape and antlers). This is the same thing you have bringing in antlers and capes from Canada. Clean it all and get it salted.

I saw

This response submitted by Joey Arender on 10/3/05 at 10:50 AM. ( j32a@aol.com ) 152.163.100.133

Where TN is doing the same thing this year. Would have to go back to get the exact States but the seem to be the same except I don't recall West Virginia.

This reminds me of fish importation restrictions

This response submitted by Cecil - Baird Fish Taxidermy and Fish Farm on 10/3/05 at 11:23 AM. ( ) 64.184.41.190

that are designed to prevent disease transmission from other states. Due to an inability to enforce that logistics nightmare (an officer on every road that comes into the state -- I don't think so), and ignorance and definance by those that won't comply, only the honest and ethical hunters will be penalized. And due some not complying due to the overall severity of the ruling it only promotes the problem it was designed to prevent. (As Marty said)

In aquaculture, although I and others are abiding by ridiculously overzealous restricts that aren't based on science but knee jerk reactions, we are finding there are others in our industry that are saying the hell with it and bring it trout from wherever they want to.

Government is truly amazing isn't it? Someone once said government does more harm by doing something than doing nothing at all.

as I see it...

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 10/4/05 at 12:16 PM. ( ) 67.138.9.71

If Im not mistaken, these regs are federal, not just state. Like all other state regs, they simply mean that trophies from listed states and endemic areas must be processed first, which means caped, skull plates removed from skulls and disinfected. To date, I have found disinfected to mean salted and/or dried out. PA makes a good point though...the state agencies are not getting any info or educational stuff out there, and they certainly arent directing with any specifics.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu