Well, I'm joining the ranks!

Submitted by Hogger on 10/4/05 at 3:52 AM. ( ) 72.234.132.201

The ranks of those who advocate not mixing business and friendship. A long time ago on this forum I had complained how I had given sweet deals to a certain friend and after a while he took full advantage of his taxidermist friend. He lost that appreciation that he seemed to have in the beginning and started to get even pushy and, of all things, complain when I jacked the price up on him $20 even though he was still getting it at HALF PRICE!

Well now I do this one mount for another friend. I cut him a big break off the regular price (this is a trophy he got as a result of me taking him on one of MY hunting connections). The whole time I have this guys head to mount, everytime the topic comes up he's trying to haggle the price down another $50 even though he's saving BIG TIME on the mount already. I hurried his mount anlong, gave it to him and told him that I was tired of friends taking advantage of my kindness (or stupidity) and that I would never do another mount for a discount again.. for anyone. I'm tired of that crap. All I wanted was a little appreciation and the feeling that if I called on this friend for anything one day, they too would answer the call as a friend. It's hard to feel reassured that would happen with their kind brand "appreciation". What have they done for me lately?

PS: Before you figure I can't win at picking friends, I do have several good friends that have never hinted at a discount. They have respected me and my work. Win some, lose some. I'm learning.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Some wise words

This response submitted by 25 years in business, on 10/4/05 at 6:48 AM. ( ) 218.214.25.75

l treat all my clients equal, and they are all my friends, so they ALL pay the same price.
Keep that in mind next time someone thinks THEY are entitled to insult the rest of your friends by being cut a better price.

If the septic backs up...

This response submitted by James Parrish on 10/4/05 at 7:54 AM. ( ) 204.211.171.11

They can call me and I'll be right there to help them shovel the SH**. But, when it comes to my business, everyone pays the same price..friends, family, enemies, etc. It doesn't make you less of a friend to charge full price. Business is business.

Charge friends more

This response submitted by duckfeathers on 10/4/05 at 8:01 AM. ( ) 71.242.63.164

I always charged less and thats why I'm a small timer. The financially sucessful people I know always charged neighbors, friends and relatives more. These greedy souls understood that their cousins would only go to them and took their money. Sadly the ripoffs of this world always seem to prosper while the honest and humble just make enough to buy a loaf of bread.

They are

This response submitted by Alex on 10/4/05 at 12:46 PM. ( ) 66.32.117.108

Your friend as long as they can get something out of you.
Once you stop giving them freebys or quick mounts and discounts ,they will go to another and wait two years for for their mounts and pay full price and pat the guy on his back.

THIS IS PERSONAL EXPERIENCE OF 40+ IN THE BUSINESS

So now hunters are my friends when they pay me what I ask and pick their mounts quickly, if not I tell them don't come back ,take your s**** somewheres else and then I pat myself on the back.

Thanks guys.

This response submitted by Hogger on 10/5/05 at 1:24 AM. ( ) 72.234.132.201

I have learned. Too bad. I'd like to have a better outlook on my fellow man, but, like my wife says... "not everybody thinks like you".

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu