Help on frozen heads

Submitted by Joe SC on 10/4/05 at 8:56 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.202

I picked up two deer from a guy and they were frozen in a plastic tub. I have picked up deer from him before (a processer) and he always leaves plenty of hide to work with, he even leaves the front legs on from the elbow down! I have always thawed one head at a time and in about 24 hours I can skin the head out,but after 24 hours all the skin in the bottom of the tub is still solid as a rock and I think that it'll probably take two more days before it thaws out. My question is do I need to worry about hair slippage on the ears or any other places that thaw out quicker? also I forgot to mention that I thaw them in a refrigerator that is right at 40 degrees. Any imput on this would be greatly appreciated!
Joe from SC

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

i thaw

This response submitted by lee on 10/4/05 at 9:06 PM. ( ) 70.110.32.79

i thaw mine in my shop at about 75 degrees. you wont have any problems if the hides were good to start with.

Get some stop rot

This response submitted by evelyn on 10/4/05 at 9:58 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.137

and rub that on the ears and face while it thaws out. The Stop Rot will prevent the hair from slipping and the hide from spoiling while the rest thaws out.

Cooler

This response submitted by Nina Lukaszewicz on 10/5/05 at 6:37 AM. ( 1224@earthlink.net ) 4.249.174.211

The Stop-Rot helps, and I was told to put the hide in a cooler while it thaws out in the shop. I have tried this on a deer cape before and it works, helps to keep the skin cool but at the same time it will thaw out.

Joe

This response submitted by JEM on 10/5/05 at 7:47 AM. ( ) 64.179.71.115

Good information above. Personally I would get them out of the tub, thaw them in shop temp. air and apply STOP ROT. The problem thawing them at 40 degree's is that it takes so darn long to get the thick areas thawed out.

Sleeping bag and a crate

This response submitted by Breck on 10/5/05 at 12:14 PM. ( ) 71.137.31.61

I thaw things that are slow to thaw by placing them on a crate so that the large thick areas thaw evenly and when taken from the freezer I immediately cover the small quick thawing areas (deer ears and face, canada goose head and neck) with an old down sleeping bag.

IF you are in a hurry to thaw a RAW cape..........

This response submitted by Kim on 10/5/05 at 3:09 PM. ( ) 69.171.240.121

....fill the tub or other container with warm water and add three ounces of clorox or some other bacteria killer. Throw your cape in there and work the cape around in the water and gently pull the hide apart from the other oposing side stuck to it. It will take a few minutes. The water will become bloody and messy. Your cape is getting clean and un-thawing!

Hang the cape up and allow it to drain. Then proceed with fleshing etc.

Only takes about fifteen minutes for a cape to thaw as you are working with the cape in the water. The clorox or other product will kill the bacteria,help clean the cape and elimate odors. IF the cape is in good shape, you should not have any problems. We have even taken questionable items and used this process with no problems.. it is labor intensive but it works...

ok one more

This response submitted by paul k on 10/5/05 at 3:53 PM. ( ) 68.83.60.41

I have a 55 gal drum halved, fill with warm water, not hot!
put your frozen head-cape etc, in a good heavy plastic bag that doesnt leak, submerge until the skin is workable. I personally wouldn't want to work a sloping wet with bloody water soaked head on my work bench. your head doesnt need to be completely thawed to cape
just the outer most flesh will be fine, ear butts will be too frozen
to cut with your knife, just saw them off. very easy

thanks everyone

This response submitted by JoeSC on 10/5/05 at 6:10 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.137

Thanks to everyone who posted,I decided to try what KIM suggested and it work out great! I sometimes wonder what I would do without this Forum and all the information that good,honest people are willing to share! Again THANK YOU!

I usually

This response submitted by Alex on 10/6/05 at 12:54 PM. ( ) 66.32.78.32

Just Take it out of the container and just hose it down until I dissolve all the ice, I skinned quickly and tumble dry and then flesh it and salted.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu