$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Submitted by joe on 10/9/05 at 10:35 PM. ( ) 65.30.133.101

ok i always see this posted that the average taxidermist makes only 22,000$ a year. I wanna know How much does a good one gross. Someone who gets at least 400$ a deer head and at least 10$ an inch for fish. I just find it hard to believe they only make 22K a year. So how much do u guys gross? My shop is all paid off and dont really have to pay for anything else except electricity and materials which isnt that much so lets hear what u gross

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

So how

This response submitted by Alex on 10/10/05 at 12:04 AM. ( ) 66.32.14.145

Good are you ?

How can you compare yourself to others ?, How much hunting goes on in your area ?

Do you have a customer base ?

How many mounts do you do for people that go to africa ,Argentina, New Zealand etc.

How many Saltwater fish do you do ? And Fresh Water Fish ?

Birds etc ?

See what I mean ?

I gross 600,000 plus in 2004, after taxes overhead and salaries I netted 145,000 last year.

Alex

This response submitted by Kim (LOL) on 10/10/05 at 1:36 AM. ( ) 69.171.240.121

LMAO::I made one dollar and forty five cents after expenses. I would not say anything like you did (too many questions to answer). Those numbers of yours are great! Congratulations! I know that was hard work!

LOL: Be careful. George will say you are trying to brag or something and trying to show off and put some body down. And then the sob story starts. LOL

That's not fair, Kim

This response submitted by George on 10/10/05 at 8:18 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.112.49

If I look at what Alex said, his profits are just about like mine, though the volume is nowhere close. Alex has just admitted that he only made 30% profit all last year. In other words after supplies and taxes, he paid out over 60% of what he earned to someone else.

I DO like your numbers better, however. I, too, like to make less than $10 profit each year no matter what has to be written off. The government gets far too much of my money anyway.

that is a really good salary...

This response submitted by J on 10/12/05 at 4:51 PM. ( ) 208.252.179.25

now taking home 145,000 after taxes,insurance,employees, and all the other overhead seems darn good for any business owner. If you don't mind me asking, what entity are you set up as? corp,LLc,sole?
I am just curious, I have known a few people who have literally lost their butts doing a sole for their first time around, and then a few that LLC'd and then found out after so many years that they couldn't grow the business because they had no stock to sell, and that they couldn't give it to one of their children. I guess the LLC's are taxed much like a sole and you are only allowed to operate for 12 or 15 years, something like that.
Also, with that kind of gross, over a half million in sales. you must have been able to buy into a pretty good health insurance pool and key man policy?and were you able to use these for deductions, or just depreciate?
I am just weighing some options for future reference, I was always told to try to pay myself as low a salary as i could afford to, pay less taxes personally, and try to claim a loss every 1 out of 3 years.
So I guess i would rather make $22,000 a year instead of $200,000 a year.what has worked for you? thanks.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu