Boone & Crockett 71 inch Alaskan Moose Value

Submitted by Keith Mattison on 10/10/05 at 9:11 PM. ( Akmagnum@hotmail.com ) 4.224.219.137

I have a problem. I lost my Alaska/Yukon Moose shoulder mount in the hurricane. And my insurance company need prove of it's value. It had a 71 inch spread and had a final score of 213 by a official scorer of Boone & Crockett Club. What I need is a written appraised value by an experienced taxidermist. If needed I have photos of the rack but not when it was mounted. Can someone please help me or point me to the right direction where I can get It's value. Thank You very much.
Keith At akmagnum@hotmail.com

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Boone & crocket 71 inch Alaskan moose value

This response submitted by Glennwood on 10/10/05 at 11:48 PM. ( ) 64.33.206.208

Priceless !

Moose and Score....

This response submitted by Mark on 10/11/05 at 1:59 AM. ( ) 66.230.126.164

Boone and Crockett minimum is 224 for Alaska Yukon moose, you're moose is not a book moose. Still a very respectable moose but not a book moose. What did you spend on the hunt? Likely it will cost you that much as a minimum to replace it, and probably much more. Good Alaska Yukon Moose hunts in Alaska are running about 10500.00 Insurance is suppose to be for replacement value, would like to hear how this works out. Interested on reading what others have to say.
Mark.

proof

This response submitted by Kayla on 10/11/05 at 2:42 AM. ( mtnview@nvinet.com ) 67.0.141.149

if its really a 213 B&C record book mount then you have all the proof you need..you should of gotten a copy of the score sheet...keith im ..ASSuming its an offical scorer>? since thats what you said, then said scorer should of been able to give you a reasonable value of said moose.... if your looking for a free uuuummmmmm second hand swap shop value.. well i'll give ya $50.00 bucks :o)

Proof is ........ and value is........

This response submitted by Kim on 10/11/05 at 10:46 AM. ( KMikules@ABCustomTaxidermy.com ) 69.171.240.121

Proof is: (Should of been listed with your insurance company)
1. Photographs and or video recordings.
2. Offical, documented scoring and score sheet.
3. Hunt trip receipts, photos, guide statements, witness, etc.

Value with out charging you a fee would be around $600.00 plus the cape around $350.00 plus the taxidermy cost plus the cost of the hunt. If you have the PROOF of ownership, add up all of that and that is what you submit for your claim. Insurance companies are a different breed of legal evil!

Good luck

Insurance companies

This response submitted by wilson on 10/11/05 at 2:51 PM. ( ) 207.200.116.73

Insurance companies will not give you the hunt cost .cut and dry.

You should with old pic. of your mount get away with putting in a clam of #2,600.00.

Thats 1200 to mount -900 for antlers and 500 for a cape.

Betterment

This response submitted by wilson on 10/11/05 at 3:03 PM. ( ) 207.200.116.73

Betterment is an improvement that adds to the value of a property or facility.
When you try to get betterment, your clam will be denied and you have just wasted your time; having to start over and looked at much closer.

IF you can prove it, they WILL pay.

This response submitted by Kim (been there and done that) on 10/11/05 at 3:31 PM. ( KMikules@ABCustomTaxidermy.com ) 69.171.240.121

Technically speaking, an animal must die to replace the one you had. Costs are costs and it all depends on how things are worded and listed.

1. We had one client that lost several trophies (fire) and his insurance company paid the entire amount to him. We did the appraisal and we included the cost of a new hunting trip to Alaska for replacement. One key point is that the trips made were originally deductible from their taxes as a legitimate business expense. A valid cost and expense that COULD be replaced with one like the one he had. If anything is NOT replaceable, then you have to wheel and deal with the insurance companies. If you don't have EXTRA riders on your policy for this contingency, you are SOL.

2. Another of our clients loaned some of his trophies to a sporting goods department and the people in the store damaged his African and North American mounts. Some beyond repair. He sued and won in court and they HAD TO pay for him to return to Africa and hunt again.

3. The insurance companies will refuse to pay but, according to COLORADO law, the state has set the VALUE of trophy animals. This law was intended to further punish poachers however; it also provided the legal BASE asking price on replacement trophies. The insurance companies have no choice but to eventually honor the price requested because the legal authority have already set it in law.

ALSO, the intentional infliction of mental anguish by the actions or inaction of the mighty insurance companies has resulted in substantial awards of money to those that fight back!

Other states may or may not have similar laws. Seek them out and do research.

la la land

This response submitted by wilson on 10/11/05 at 4:27 PM. ( ) 207.200.116.73

They will not do it with cars, they will not do it with houses, they will not do it in Colorado, they will not do it in New York, they will not do it with green eggs and ham, Sam I am; get real it's called betterment.

The ignorant and stupid will always lose

This response submitted by Kim (LMAO) on 10/11/05 at 6:00 PM. ( ) 69.171.240.121

Wilson,

Best of luck to you. You are easy pickings for the insurance companies. "YES SIR! What ever you say, just pay me something!"
LOL: Smile as you wish. I and others will also smile if we ever have to take a check to the bank and deposit it. Hopefully we never have to. A loss is still a loss.

Dealing with insurance companies is complex and it is not for the ignorant. People like that should just bend over and the insurance companies will be glad to put it to them. It is done every day.

I suggest you have some form of protection. Sorry you seem to fall into this group. Let others push you around and you will lose what little you have. Bend over all you like. I would rather stand and fight.

Only a suggestion

This response submitted by * on 10/11/05 at 6:12 PM. ( * ) 218.214.25.75

Try to have the value appraised by the Boone and Crocket Club or SCI.
Stand firm, and make sure you have all the paperwork on what you paid for the hunt at hand, and not necessarily what someone writes up for you today or next week, because alternatively the insurance companies will have someone like Kayla above quote that "it is only worth 50 bucks", and pay out accordingly.
l had a client reimbursed the total value of his tur hunt when his head was stolen. He had all the payment transfers for the hunt documented.

there is a reason why

This response submitted by wilson on 10/11/05 at 6:23 PM. ( ) 207.200.116.73

There is a reason why we have to pay high rates and you just read why.

SO, bitter feelings with the insurance company?

This response submitted by Kim (LMAO) on 10/11/05 at 6:32 PM. ( ) 69.171.240.121

I think some one got turned down on a claim because they got greedy and found out a few new words to throw around. LMAO

Keith

This response submitted by wilson on 10/11/05 at 6:44 PM. ( ) 207.200.116.73

let us know how it turned out.
I can't argu with the bumbling idiot from Colorado springs ,he is always right.

Here is the TRUE defination of Betterment Wilson

This response submitted by Kim (LMAO) on 10/11/05 at 6:50 PM. ( ) 69.171.240.121

DIRECT FROM OUR INSURANCE COMPANY! LISTEN UP WILSON

Hey Wilson,

If your just getting it replaced as in "replacement cost" there is NO betterment. They pay for the replacement hunt and everything else. WHERE IS THE BETTERMENT? You really need to know what you are talking about. I still bet you are bitter twords an insurance company.

BETTERMENT DEFINITION

If the settlement of the Claim results in the insured being in a better financial position than he was before the loss occurred, the extent of the improvement to his position is known as ‘betterment' and he would be expected to contribute towards the Claims settlement.

EXAMPLE

Your hi-fi set is destroyed in a fire. A replacement similar to the hi-fi you had would be R5 000. You prefer to upgrade the hi-fi to a set with value of R7 000. The R2 000 difference constitutes betterment and would be your own account.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu