Chronic Wasting Disease

Submitted by Paul on 10/10/05 at 9:13 PM. ( sweetjs1@hotmail.com ) 71.241.178.194

My question is that I wanted to know if there is any thing different the DEC want us to do in NY for this up coming season.I went on the NY state DEC web site but I was just spinning my wheel in that site.
At the UTNY convention Fred V. Talked to us about this and open my eyes to this.Hopefully it will not turn in to a problem.Thanks Paul

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Try this Paul

This response submitted by Jeff Smith on 10/10/05 at 10:23 PM. ( ) 12.152.253.164

189.8 Taxidermy.
(a) No person who engages in the art or operation of preparing, stuffing, and mounting the skins or other parts of animals of the Genus Cervus or the Genus Odocoileus shall allow live cervids to come in contact with any materials, including taxidermy materials, that may contain the infectious agent that causes CWD.

(b) In addition to the requirements of Environmental Conservation Law Section 11-1733, any person who engages in the art or operation of preparing, stuffing, and mounting the skins or other parts of animals of the Genus Cervus or the Genus Odocoileus shall maintain and keep in their taxidermy shop or place of business a taxidermy log, on forms provided by the Department, that includes the following information for each specimen of the Genus Cervus or the Genus Odocoileus:

(1) common name of the species submitted for mounting and a description of the specimen;

(2) name, address and telephone number of the person who submitted the animal for mounting;

(3) date the animal was received for mounting;

(4) hunting license number used by the person who took the animal or the carcass tag number used by the taker to tag the animal;

(5) state or province in which the animal was taken;

(6) county and town in which the animal was taken; and

(7) date on which the animal was taken.

Taxidermy log forms may be obtained from the Department's website (www.dec.state.ny.us) or by calling the nearest Department Regional Office.

(c) Taxidermy logs shall be updated within 48 hours of the receipt of each animal or specimen.

(d) A photocopy of the taxidermy log for each calendar year shall be sent to the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, Special Licenses Unit, 5th Floor, 625 Broadway, Albany, New York 12233-4572 no later than 30 calendar days following the end of each calendar year.

(e) Original taxidermy logs for the current year and for the previous five years shall be maintained at the taxidermy shop or place of business.

(f) Conservation officers and other persons authorized by the department shall have access to the taxidermy logs at all times and photocopies of such documents must be provided upon request.

This is from N.Y. D.E.C. Website

Thanks Jeff

This response submitted by Paul on 10/11/05 at 9:37 PM. ( ) 71.241.178.194

Thanks Jeff see you in the spring at the convention.

Looking forward to it.

This response submitted by Jeff S. on 10/11/05 at 9:58 PM. ( ) 12.152.253.164

Just had our board meeting,great judge lineup.
Have a great hunting season!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu