Just thinking

Submitted by Tom on 10/11/05 at 9:21 PM. ( ) 207.19.167.251

I was wondering if you could use air to help turn ears on deer and antelope. I used to use air to help with coyotes that were as stiff as a board back in my trapping days and it worked well. I was wondering if anyone has tried it on ears before and what kind of luck they had. Deer aren't much trouble but those antelope ears give me fits.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Why antelope

This response submitted by George on 10/11/05 at 10:25 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.132

They sure come out a lot easier than the September fea bitten ones I see. I suspect compressed air would blow those things out like an old balloon.

When you turn antelope ears, I find it easier to remove the cartilage. Just open the ear until it turns out in that little elf look. With a scalpel, score the back side of the cartilage and bend it till it snaps open. Then gently pull the cartilage back letting the skin peel back on the ear by itself. This allows the cartilage to do the work for you and they always skin right out to the very edges on the tips. Makes using an earliner all that much easier.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu