Digital cameras.

Submitted by Glenn on 10/12/05 at 8:31 AM. ( unkfuz@aol.com ) 64.12.116.202

Thought some of the forum contributors might have some experience taking digital wildlife photos. A friend of mine has a taxidermy and guide service near Beaverdell, BC and runs a lot of mountain lions and black bears. He takes a lot of photos on these hunts and wants to go to digital. His 35 with 210 telephoto is bulky and takes a beating in the cold and the distance shots are small and don't have enough detail. He's looking for something digital for good closeups and with good telephoto/zoom capabilities out to about 200 yards. He's willing to spend the bucks for the right set up. Last time he was back here he checked several places but didn't find anything. Any recommendations out there? Appreciate any help. Thanks, Glenn

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Try this

This response submitted by George on 10/12/05 at 9:04 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.133

Go to www.abesofmaine.com
They have some of the very best service you'll find anywhere and you can choose from every major name brand out there.

I carry a small Olympus in my backpack for those "just in case" photos. I have a Canon EOS Rebel G in 35mm with all the bells and whistles. When I wanted a professional format digital, I called Abes and talked to them about the Canon EOS Digital Rebel. The super thing about this is that all the lenses from my 35mm are interchangeable. The EOS Digital is 6.3 megapixel which is well above the compatibility of most color and color photo printers to begin with. With a 1 gigabite compact flash card, you can take 316 photo high definition pictures without changing cards. This is the best setup I've found. When I drive, I carry a hardcase with both camera bodies and all the lenses that'll work on either camera or allows me to use BOTH cameras at the same time. However, I'd be willing to bet that he'll find that his 35mm gets used less and less as the digital allows me to edit and work with my photos without having to explain it to the processor or worry about when I'm going to get my prints back. With the big compact flash card, I don't worry about "wasting film" as I can delete the ones I don't like at the end of the day buy just looking at them on the viewsceen and still have more than enough pictures left for the next day.

Thanks George !

This response submitted by mike on 10/12/05 at 11:57 AM. ( taxidermy@mwt.net ) 207.190.72.226

I am also looking to switch from 35mm to digital, went to abe's site, great prices! thanks mike

Appreciate it George.

This response submitted by Glenn on 10/12/05 at 3:17 PM. ( unkfuz@aol.com ) 205.188.116.202

Thanks for the info. I forwarded the site to my friend. Glenn

Nikon Coolpix 8800

This response submitted by Valentin Potchekansky on 10/12/05 at 6:45 PM. ( wasbg@mailcity.com ) 213.240.224.81

Hi Glenn,
Advice please, your friend to check the dates of Nikon 8800 camera.
If he is ready to spend around 1000$ he will get good camera.
Nikon Coolpix 8800 is 8.0 effective Mega pixels and 10x optical zoom.
I am doing wildlife photography for calendars, magazines etc. since 20 and more years and never mind I have very expensive Canon EOS digital cameras and telephoto lenses I have this "every day) camera for back ups. I am satisfied by its quality.
If your friend has any further question about this camera, or wildlife photography, let him does not hesitate to email me.
Best wishes,
Valentin

yup

This response submitted by bob on 10/12/05 at 9:37 PM. ( ) 65.30.133.101

yes the coolpix 8800 is a great camera. Inside thats not the camera to use. But outside its great. Pretty slow too but excellent 8mp pics

Canon

This response submitted by Ryan M. on 10/12/05 at 10:05 PM. ( ) 4.228.153.64

My personal favorite is the Canon eos system. I like having the ability to chose from the many different lenses that are available. For true wildlife photography I would chose a good 500 or 600mm lens (they are pricey but if he wants good detail closeups thats what he needs).

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu