Rain and taxidermists in New York and New England

Submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 10/12/05 at 4:42 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.190

How much rain are you guys getting. I'm hearing New Hampshire got hit hard.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

It was the center of the rains wrath

This response submitted by Rick Krane on 10/12/05 at 4:58 PM. ( rmkinc1@msn.com ) 70.16.220.159

It has been something out here to say the least. My property boarders a brook which became a river which took out the road which took out all the bridges and ate a house. All kidding aside I was blessed and fortunate. My home sits high on the land and missed the trouble my neighbors and so many here were not. There are still 2 souls missing it is sad. The whole thing was surreal and unbelievable. Here we all are thinking of the poor folks in the south who lived through and were devastated by the wrath of nature and one would not think it could happen in your own back yard. The military has been here for a few days trying to put the bridges up and fix the washed out undermined roads. So many of my neighbors still can not come home. It is strange I live on a state highway and to hear so much silence is different. I see people walking up and down from time to time as they did I'm sure 100 years ago. It does make people friendlier and more neighborly. People are just amazed that my home was untouched being next to the raging river. Luck and divine intervention that's all.

Well back to it!

My best!

Rick Krane
Anglers Artistry
603-336-7296

waterlogged

This response submitted by Rich on 10/12/05 at 8:59 PM. ( finfeathr@aol.com ) 152.163.100.133

It has been raining nonstop since Friday evening on Long Island..everything is soaked, and the archery season opened up here on Oct. 1, and nobodys hunting because of the weather. This sucks....Rich

There is still hunting on Long Island?

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 10/12/05 at 11:53 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.190

LOL

Yes.....but..

This response submitted by Rich on 10/13/05 at 6:46 AM. ( finfeathr@aol.com ) 205.188.116.137

It gets harder and harder every season...the contractors put up luxury homes and condos on any piece of land they can get thier hands on. Too many yuppies and anti's. If you shoot a deer, you better hide it on the way home, or everyone will be giving you the finger! They also try to get legislation to provide no discharge of firearms clauses, so the townships can claim the bay bottom and bottom of the L.I. sound belongs to the town, to stop waterfowl hunting. It used to be a hunters paradise,but now its almost impossible to get a spot to hunt. My taxes [school, property,inc.village, etc,] went up to just over $12,000 per year. I dont know how much longer I can stay....Rich

Rich

This response submitted by Dawn on 10/13/05 at 8:03 AM. ( ) 216.46.210.95

I grew up about 50 miles north of the city in Monroe, New York. When I was young girl it was just a small town. Now when I go back (and that is rare now) I hardly recognize it. Not only that everyone I knew that stayed there has either left now or are on the verge of leaving. Too expensive to live there. I was never introduced to hunting while I was growing up and until I got married to a dedicated hunter I had never experienced this sport that has become my life. All the little towns that surround NYC in the suburbs have just become annexes of the city. Everything back home has been developed up by the rich people moving from the city. My childhood friends mother still lives back there. Retired now and living on a fixed income. She worked all these years to pay off her home so she would have a place to live as she aged. That dream may be short lived for her. Her taxes have went over 12,000 a year also. The money she puts away every month to pay them is more than the mortgage she carried all those years. And the beautiful property that once adjoined her property is now developed with a million dollar home sitting next to her 50's ranch style home. The rich are just going to run people like her out. She will leave when she cannot afford it anymore and some rich guy will come in and bull doze her house down and put up a two million dollar house (after all it has to be better than the guy next door.)

It is sad to witness what has happen to the small town that I remember and to all of the people I knew who used to call this town home. We are losing our small towns and farms all over the country - but to see what is happening to New York is so disheartening. So much beautiful land being destroyed through development. And the tradition of hunting is slowly deteriorating as more and more anti's move out of the city and into these small towns.

I cannot imagine what this country will be like for my grandchildren and their children. (My son is only 10 so I have a while - lol)

Hopefully the citizens of this great country will wake up and wake up soon. Get off their ### and start becoming involved in preserving what we still have left. We as citizens truly do have so much power but are just not aware of it. The number of voting citizens sure out numbers the number of government officials that we let speak for us. The citizens of this great country could shut down the government almost immediately. They can only function because of the money they rob from us - We should all become unionized and call a walk out - see where the government ends up then. Maybe then they will start listening to us.

funny thing about residents and development

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 10/13/05 at 9:44 AM. ( ) 67.138.9.184

I sypathize with Rich and Dawn, I cant stand seeing these areas turn into developed tracts and, to add insult to injury, theyll name these areas after what it USED to look like. Theyll bulldoze every tree in there and then call it Apple Orchard Rd or Oak Hollow Center, etc. Its really a shame, as we would all love to keep it "as-is".

The biggest hypocracy of all though? A guy will sell off most of his acreage for millions, or at least many thousands, then when hes sorrounded by all the growth, complain about how hes being "moved out". I always get a kick out of that one.

Rich, in those areas we use urban camou. Siding or brick for the tree or ground stands and dress in contractor clothes. Next thing theyll do after outlawing hunting in there? Raise your taxes again, of course...to pay to have "experts" come in and shoot all those unwanted and unsightly deer! NY SUCKS.

WAiT ! let me

This response submitted by JING on 10/13/05 at 11:18 AM. ( ) 66.32.35.205

Back stroke to my computer and I'll answer ya. LOL

Rain making me work

This response submitted by JL on 10/13/05 at 11:58 AM. ( wmlures@metro2000.net ) 216.177.1.158

When deer season opens (anywhere) I make sure to BOWHUNT a couple of days a week if it's within driving distance...4 hours or less.Well the season is open but the rain would wash out a blood trail so I'm patiently waiting for the weather to clear. Since I can't hunt I've taken up working until the weather clears. It's amazing how much work you can put out if you actually put in working hours.But I still take a half hour to shoot my bow every day....for when the rain stops.Happy to hear your place was spared Rick....I was wondering about you. Good luck....moldy JL

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu