Trophy Blackbuck?

Submitted by Bob on 3/2/06 at 10:20 AM. ( ) 4.154.134.87

What length horns on a blackbuck make it considered to be a trophy? Is spread considered in the measurements as well as the lengths and circumferences? Thanks for your help.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Blackbuck

This response submitted by Nathan on 3/2/06 at 10:42 AM. ( ) 24.147.192.28

Hey Bob. I'm probably not telling you anything new when I say that a trophy is in the eye of the beholder. I have seen a fair amount of Blabkbuck on trips to Texas, and from what I have seen, a mature male with three complete turns or better is a shooter. Anything of that class usually goes over 22 inches in horn length. Another thing to consider is the color of the cape. The darker, the better. You can get all caught up in measurements and all, but if you do that long enough, you end up chasing your own tail, and end up never being satisfied with anything you get. Feel free to differ, that's just my opinion.

mine

This response submitted by dan gill on 3/2/06 at 12:06 PM. ( ) 64.89.214.26

Mine was 21 1/2" 10 years ago was # 50 in the record of exotics. I was very pleased. Im no blackbuck expert. My "guess" would be 18 plus would be respectable. 20 plus, a trophy. ? .
Dan

a Taxidermist who Hunts

This response submitted by Tenbears on 3/2/06 at 11:40 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.72

is undoubtedly the hardest hunter to satisfy. in general we tend to see all the beat racks. so over time we become desensitized to the shear beauty and splendor that every one of natures crowns offer. a trophy is far more than the size of the horns, far more than the number of points. and much greater than the quality of the fur the intended quarry sports. a trophy is a visual stimulus intended to prompt the revisitation of the time. The friendships, both new and old. it serves as a reminder of a time when we could. A momento of the time spent with those we appreciate. look upon every one of the Gods gifts as a trophy. For one day we may not be able to share the cycle of life and death with them.

Thanks for the input guys!

This response submitted by Bob on 3/3/06 at 12:20 AM. ( ) 4.154.135.215

Thanks for letting me know, hopefully I can judge them in the field accurately.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu