More Georgia legislation concerning CWD

Submitted by Rick Carter on 3/2/06 at 2:51 PM. ( wasco@taxidermy.net ) 67.140.205.152

A new bill was presented yesterday concerning bringing hooved ungulates across state lines. Proposed HB1489 would regulate deer and "parts" which would be permissable to possess. Go to http://www.legis.ga.gov and type in 1489 in the top right hand corner. the proposed bill is listed. You may also be interested in HB1488 and SB612 concerning bait,attractants and electric calling devices.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

More laws....

This response submitted by Gina on 3/2/06 at 9:04 PM. ( ) 24.20.207.217

In oregon we ccan have ANY imported cervidae, from any country or state. NOTHING. It really bites. I wanted a pet muntac, but Oregon would not allow it. i think it is because the hairloss syndrome out here is caused by a mite that was imported by an asian cervidae. Anyway, they are getting more strict through out the whole country...

KY

This response submitted by mrdux on 3/2/06 at 11:43 PM. ( mrdux@refugemail.com ) 68.155.194.113

Recently there was a bill presented in the KY Senate that would take control of all cervids from the F&W and give it to the Dept of Agriculture. The bill was pushed by gamefarm and captive cervid ranchers who want to import stock from where ever. There was a public outcry concerning CWD and the bill was dropped. Guess some politicians listen to what the voters have to say. Too bad they forgot that in DC.

the real shame, Mrdux

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 3/3/06 at 12:35 AM. ( ) 67.138.13.25

...is that they didnt pass it. They make you think its bad, but its the other way around. Those deer will get moved, believe me, the guys out there want them, and the money is there, so the deer farmers will find a way. Legally, or not. Which do YOU want? Id opt for moving the farmed deer to Ag where it belongs, and allow them to do their job of protecting captive wildlife from disease, and allow DNR to police the wild herd. Its too bad folks arent better informed...

The ignorance of it all

This response submitted by Paul Czarnecki on 3/3/06 at 8:15 AM. ( ) 66.211.211.115

Since the PTA has been involved with the CWD Task Force we have learned a lot---mostly about the parties involved.
At a recent Sport Show where Dan Snyder and I were representing the PTA and handing out CWD brochures we were amazed at the lack of general public knowledge about the disease because the PGC just barely acknowledges its existence. In fact, we recieved little if any help from the PGC and just trying to get the brochures to hand out was like pulling teeth. Its just my opinion, but it looks like the Fish and Game folks in EVERY state would rather look the other way when it comes to CWD while the individual Depts. of Ag are taking the initiative in almost every instance.

I'm sure it'll sort itself out eventually but it would be nice to see some Law Enforcement agencies get away from the blanket policy most have toward things like this. "If its a deer WE control it---whether it is captive or not!" "If you're a taxidermist We control you too!" Control, control, control----BLAH, BLAH, BLAH!

Paul Czarnecki
www.pataxidermy.com

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu