New Website......

Submitted by Matt on 3/3/06 at 9:47 AM. ( buckeyebullet23@yahoo.com ) 165.252.77.3

Just wanted to say thanks to Jason Keehr for my new website. I thought it would be something new for me as far as advertising. He put this site together in less than a week. I was hoping maybe someone could give some input on maybe how to upgrade my pictures. They are my doings, some of them do the mounts some injustice, but as always pics are never as good as the real thing. What's the best backdrop for displaying mounts. Feel free to check out the site and give any input. Thanks... Matt

www.buckeyetaxidermy.com

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

<><>?<><>

This response submitted by earl on 3/3/06 at 10:31 AM. ( ANT/TAX ) 68.82.184.251

"Raise Your Prices"

It's not that...

This response submitted by matt on 3/3/06 at 11:08 AM. ( buckeyebullet23@yahoo.com ) 165.252.77.3

I question my quality of work, but I guess since I'm going on my own now, i worry about getting enough business to establish my reputation. We're in a small town and i would like to get some more business before I raise my prices. I took in 20 deer, 5 coon, 3 minks, and some antler mounts, is that normal for a new shop? Thanks for any responses.

We can help

This response submitted by Eric on 3/3/06 at 11:09 AM. ( talk2ericnc@aol.com ) 152.163.100.73

dj,

We can custom make any plaque you want from any wood you want. If you can draw it up with dimensions we can make it. Will this be for a wall or table European mount? You will notice the quality of our plaques and so will your customers. Give us a chance to earn your business.

Regards,
Eric Edwards

Matt - Earl is right

This response submitted by Dawn on 3/3/06 at 12:11 PM. ( ) 216.46.208.236

Your prices are way too low. Keeping prices low to establish business is poor business. Low prices only bring in the guy looking for cheap quality. These customers will not help you feed your family at those costs.

These customers have no idea what quality is - so if you are depending on them for word of mouth advertising - you are looking down the wrong road. They aren't sitting around at the Ducks Unlimited or Whitetails unlimited banquet plugging your business - if they are paying those prices they obviously can't afford the membership dues to these clubs.

LOW PRICES often keep customers away. Customers are becoming a lot more educated about avoiding the obvious good deal - often they get burned by these taxidermists and are willing to pay the better money to ensure their trophy gets to a reputable taxidermist.

You really should use this website for what it was intended. You ask the old timers and the successful taxidermists to give you their input on becoming a successful shop - You need to heed their advice. And everyone of them will tell you that you are definitely doing a very big disservice to yourself and the reputation of your shop.

If you are a true professional - your prices should reflect that.

Best Wishes.

Actually...

This response submitted by matt on 3/3/06 at 12:32 PM. ( buckeyebullet23@yahoo.com ) 165.252.77.3

I felt kind of funny putting my prices 25.00 higher than the guy that put me through the apprenticeship. This year he got in 85 heads. I'm located in a small town and didn't want to scare any of those people who price shop ya know. Does location ever have anything to do with how you set your prices? Thanks for the info.

Matt

This response submitted by Dawn on 3/3/06 at 1:49 PM. ( ) 216.46.209.249

I too am from a very very small town. The average price for a deer head here is 400.00. There are a lot of people on this website who are members of my state association that know me very well and know exactly where I am located and can verify the little country town I am from.

If I had to price my deerheads at 265.00 to get business I would go out and get a full time job elsewhere. Same amount of money but less headaches. I could work less hours at McDonalds for minimum wage and make nearly what you will for 265.00 a deerhead for 85 heads a year.

Underpricing does nothing good for our industry or our competitors.

We also have a studio 8 miles from here that gets just shy of 600.00 a deer head. No shortage of business for them. So your answer as to whether location should be a factor when you do your pricing - obviously NOT.

WOW

This response submitted by Kim on 3/3/06 at 2:28 PM. ( ) 207.69.137.40

$600.00 for a life-size whitetail. We get $1500.00 for wholesale. You are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to cheap. You will never be able to pay your bills with those kind of prices.

$$

This response submitted by Matt on 3/3/06 at 2:37 PM. ( buckeyebullet23@yahoo.com ) 165.252.77.3

Wow, I can't imagine getting those prices around here! We may be misunderstood. I get 250 ( worse yet)for deer and myself only got 20 heads this year, the first year with my own business. The guy I worked for gets 225 and got 85 head this year. He's also been doing taxidermy for 15 years. Why he is still that low I don't know. I work a full time job during the day and taxidermy at night.I thought 20 was pretty good my first year open, but I could definitly take on quite a few more. I just can't believe people get that kind of money for deer. Don't get me wrong, I feel like I do really nice work and have never had a complaint but I guess I'm a little leary of jumping in that deep with my prices. I feel like they are worth more, but I know what goes into it. Does everyone else though? Thanks Dawn, I appreciate your honesty and info.

Backdrop Color

This response submitted by marty on 3/3/06 at 2:39 PM. ( ) 24.15.107.136

I don't like the camo - it's too busy and it detracts from your work.

Best color? Probably a mid-range gray or tan. Anything too contrasty or bright and your digital camera will have trouble producing the correct colors (I'm dealing with this now with my old "bright blue" background). So, unless you want to spend a lot of time tweaking photos in Photoshop, I would suggest a neutral color backdrop...

?

This response submitted by Matt on 3/3/06 at 2:43 PM. ( ) 165.252.77.3

Thanks, Marty for the input. For those of you who are getting (big money to me) for deer mounts doing this full time? Just wondered if that may be the difference, or if it even makes a difference.

Dawn

This response submitted by Matt on 3/3/06 at 2:56 PM. ( ) 165.252.77.3

Just curious as to why since the guy 8 miles away is getting 600 and you are getting 400? What determines ones price if the quality is the same. Just asking?

Matt

This response submitted by Dawn on 3/3/06 at 3:55 PM. ( ) 216.46.211.83

That is hard to answer - as I cannot speak for the other shop. I know their clientele is higher end - There taxidermist is a master taxidermist - I have not reached master level yet (but I am working on it) (lol) and I definitely know that their overhead is way above mine. They have a huge facility. My shop is much smaller and my overhead is greatly smaller. So many of us with smaller shops are averaging 400.00 a head. There is always exceptions to the rules for prices in this industry. Most average the same, some are way too low, and some make mega money like Mike Boyce in Reno. The better the clientele the better the money.

If you have the ability to bring in the higher end clientele than that is who you need to seek.

I am just afraid at your prices - you are going to burn out in no time. You may end up with more work than you can ever handle. And I am sure that most of the lifers on this net will tell you that burnout is one of the most contagious diseases found in our industry.

You have been a good sport in letting us blow steam to you (lol). Not many on this website would have been as gracious. (smile)

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu