>>WHY not a 6 month or one year return time on work? <<

Submitted by KJM on 3/5/06 at 12:22 AM. ( ) 69.171.240.121

Would like to have your input and YOUR OPINION on the following statement about why taxidermists can't or won't give a six month to one year return time on customer's work.
THANKS in advance!--KJM

"A fair evaluation of why any taxidermist would go beyond a six month to one year return time would be: Poor time management, being disorganized, lack of ability and skill, missing business priorities, accepting too much work and the overall shortage of motivation are the major reasons why taxidermists fail to be able to give a six month to one year return time. "

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Well....

This response submitted by TD on 3/5/06 at 12:43 AM. ( ) 68.71.178.111

...My turn a round is 1 year +....but everyone that leaves a mount in my shop knows this and its in writeing too....sure I can get em out in less than a year but I might as well as charge 200 dollars a mount cause I,ll have to slap em together lol.... no adhessive,no sanding on form,half a$$ fleshing and no shaveing at all,and who cares if the form fits proper(the smaller the better)but then I,ll have to change my name to Custom Haxidermy lol....TD

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT

This response submitted by and them some on 3/5/06 at 1:54 AM. ( ) 66.112.59.110

WOW ! this will stir the hornets nest...............
90% of all people in taxidermy i would guess wanted to get into it because they want to hunt or fish, well forget it, you wanted to be your own boss, wrong your clients expect you be work everyday just like a boss. You have hundreds of bosses now
90% of all people doing taxidermy have to have another job to earn enough money to live
They have no business sense at all.
I have a shop in a town of 2,000 people no town within 50 miles is over 5,000
I make a living and a good one souley on the business
YOUR GOING TO HEAR A GOOD TAXIDERMISTS IS A YEAR BEHIND...IF HE ISN'T HE IS NOT GOOD
BULLSHEET..........
ANY ONE A YEAR BEHIND OR MORE IS FOOLING HIMSELF THAT HE HAS A GOOD BUSINESS
HE'S OVERWORKED UNDERPAID AND WON'T RAISE HIS PRICES BECAUSE HE DOESN'T WANT TO LOOSE THE CHEAP CUSTOMERS.

YOUR POST IS THE BEST ONE I HAVE SEEN IN YEARS ....SO YOU TAXIDERMISTS THAT WANT TO TELL YOURSELF YOUR A SUCESS KEEP FOOLING YOURSELF AND I'LL KEEP GETTING "TWICE" THE PRICE YOUR CHARGING TO GET MY' CLIENTS' THERE MOUNTS BACK 90 TO 120 DAYS................

MIKE BOYCE DID TEACH ME ONE THING, YOU BUILD IT AND THEY WILL PAY
BEST RETUN TIME,,, BEST QUALITY,,,,, BEST CLIENTS .... SIMPLE ....I live in a town of 2,000 people and I get boyce's clients now. NOW GET OFF THIS SITE AND GO TO WORK.......THOSE FREEZERS RUNNING WITH SKINS IN THEM DO NOT MAKE YOU SUCCESSFUL OR PAY THE BILLS.

BTW.... I GIVE A 6 MONTH MONEY BACK GUARANTEE AND HAVE NEVER HAD TO RETURN A DIME OR MAKE AN EXCUSE, NOR EVER HAD A DISSATISFIED CLIENT WITH THE QUAILITY OF WORKMANSHIP.

MOST TAXIDERMISTS WOULD NOT NOR COULD NOT MAKE IT IN A LARGE SHOP LIKE HIGH COUNTRY, BRUSH COUNTRY, BOYCE'S OR WOODBURY'S, LEADING EDGE, ECT. THEY DON'T KNOW HOW TO PRODUCE HIGH QULAITY WORK IN A TIMELY PROCTIVE MANNER.
THIS IS GOING TO BE A GREAT WEEK LOOKING AT THE RESPONSE TO THIS FROM ALL THE SO CALLED PROFESSIOANLS OUT THERE

LOL LOL LOL
sorry for the typo's this i was just typing so fast this is ssssooooo good
thanks kjm you've made my week, maybe my month

how many

This response submitted by TD on 3/5/06 at 5:49 AM. ( ) 68.71.178.111

deer you take ...40 lol.....or 250 dureing the hunting season......do 250 in 6 months without lowering your quality ....lol

slow turn around time

This response submitted by Leslie on 3/5/06 at 7:31 AM. ( ) 24.197.104.55

As long as your customers know up front, the longer turn around is okay. It's when you say 4 months and take 9 that people get upset. Having a quick turn around will get you more customers, wether you are good or not. Most people don't want to wait. I process deer and have been through 3 taxidermists in 6 years. They promise more than they can deliver. I am training now to do my own taxidermy work and I am really enjoying it.
Still, I don't think longer than a year is a good idea. As each year comes around, you will get further and further behind.

Hey TD

This response submitted by and them some on 3/5/06 at 10:01 AM. ( ) 66.112.59.110

post an Email I'll send you my website address....

This is an Art, not an assembly line!

This response submitted by Bob on 3/5/06 at 10:06 AM. ( ) 4.154.130.126

I take about 1 year to do 150-170 gameheads, 30+ lifesize, and about 70 fish & birds, not to mention the misc. antler and skull mounts. I charge $400 on my whitetail and I feel all other mounts are priced accordingly. I too am from a town of that size. I, like many, send my hides out to get tanned. Estimated average tanning time varies from 2-5 months for me. 80 of my whitetails come in about a 3 week period so getting them all fleshed, salted, shipped, tanned and returned often has already taken over 6 months. And that is with putting in a lot of hours and weekends. Then once you begin mounting them, you do the math on how many can get done per week and how long those 80 would take. Considering my 120 total deer and all other work coming in (mostly in the fall), this usually takes most of the summer and into the following fall. If your mentality is that I need to hire help, consider that me paying an employee offsets most of what I profit in a year. I have made a choice to have a nice house and shop and that does draw out a lot of my profit, but I still would struggle to afford help. My customers are very understanding and they feel it is worth the wait, when they see the quality in each piece. If I was in a higher population of people, I would consider hiring help, but I would need to triple my volume and ultimately probably not get them out the door much faster. When I mention taking a year, that reflects the longest wait for a customer, turn-around time from my shop varies from 3 months - 12 months. One more thing, I love my job. Honestly, as a full-timer you have to take pride in what you have accomplished, the freedoms we have, and the respect earned. You cannot let the small portion of people that whine about the wait or costs bother you. It is our business, if they don't like it, let em' go! Little by little you will end up with better customers.

there goes the business sense

This response submitted by % on 3/5/06 at 11:25 AM. ( ) 66.112.59.110

employees MAKE YOU MONEY
free up your time with less profitable work, but they still make you money DAH
I've never had an employee not make me money if he didn't he didn't have a job very long.

My thoughts and experience on this topic. The TRUTH!

This response submitted by KJM on 3/5/06 at 2:51 PM. ( ) 69.171.240.121

This is what will be going to print for the hunting public to read and expect:

WHY not a 6 month or one year return time on work?

Here is a lively and debatable question. Six months to one year tops return time! You should always strive for this goal. It all depends on the situation of the taxidermist. What is a reasonable return time? As a hunter, ask yourself "how long would you like to wait until you received your finished mount?" What is fair and equitable for a "reasonable" return time?

There are many factors to consider. And it should be mentioned that there are some honest extenuating circumstances which would foster a delay but these are somewhat rare. All taxidermy contracts and agreements must state how long the process will take.

Over the years, many hunters and other taxidermy clients have been forced to wait very long and unreasonable amounts of time. The question is why? The work ethics and reliability of any individual taxidermist and amount of work to be done, the tannery return time and the general business organization (if any at all) are some basic areas to consider. How much time is spent doing non-taxidermy productive work?

Many taxidermists waste far too much time and are not very good business managers. Many are part time taxidermist and are not set up to produce quality work in a reasonable amount of time. Some taxidermists do very well, many just squeak by. Which one are you?

So what is fair? ANY work accepted by a taxidermist in which a deposit was paid and a contract signed, should be able to return a finished and quality product back to the customer within six months to one year.

If a taxidermist cannot, or should I say, will not return a finished game head, bird or lifesize mount within a six month to one year time frame, that taxidermist should re-evaluate his/her process, work ethics, production time and non-production time and all other factors preventing a reasonable and fair completion time within six months to one year.

What about rush work? Rush work should be completed by working overtime just like you would anywhere else. You should charge 50 to 100 % extra and give a guaranteed date of completion.

The best advice is: Get your priorities straight and produce quality work in a timely manner. Don't be a deadbeat taxidermist and only give excuses!

%...?

This response submitted by Bob on 3/5/06 at 2:55 PM. ( ) 4.154.128.216

I understand what you are saying, but that is true if you have an endless amount of work to do. If I can handle on my own what I am taking in, what would happen in the summer when I am caught up? I am referring to full-time employees not part-timers.

KJM

This response submitted by % on 3/5/06 at 2:55 PM. ( ) 66.112.59.110

You are Da man.......
Thanks for the enjoyable time

Hey bob

This response submitted by & on 3/5/06 at 4:19 PM. ( ) 66.112.59.110

Get your work out in 6 months and you'll have all the year round work you want or need
hunting and fishing goes on WORLDWIDE ALL YEAR LONG SOMEHWERE ON THIS PLANET.

And kjm
Where are you going to print
Please tell me!
I want to buy it.

Hey bob

This response submitted by & on 3/5/06 at 4:19 PM. ( ) 66.112.59.110

Get your work out in 6 months and you'll have all the year round work you want or need
hunting and fishing goes on WORLDWIDE ALL YEAR LONG SOMEHWERE ON THIS PLANET.

And kjm
Where are you going to print
Please tell me!
I want to buy it.

No for some they have a bunch of noncaring customers.

This response submitted by The Undertaker on 3/5/06 at 4:22 PM. ( ) 12.199.45.204

It takes time to make the forms fit, unless you are doing assembly line type of mounts. Thats fine for the low dollar taxis. Some of us are more critical of our own work. So we do less work making more money and so we take 24 months.

What concern of it to you is it that I do competition grade mounts for my clients?

I watch other quality whereever I travel and see most are throwing low quality right back to their customers.

My Clients know upfront it takes time to do a quality mount and yes I modify almost every form. But at my price of $650.00 I don't have to do 250 deerheads in six months.

I don't have price shoppers either. They call and get my voicemail about time/turn around and price. The clients leave their name and number, the price shoppers go on to the lowballers.

Do you want a Bentley or do you want Yugo, the choice is the clients to make.?

Thanks Undertaker.

This response submitted by KJM on 3/5/06 at 4:48 PM. ( ) 69.171.240.121

Undertaker,

That is your understanding and agreement with YOUR customers. That is great! You seem to be an honest person and taxidermist. The customer and you know what to expect. Very rare now-adays. Freedom of choice is the deciding factor.

As long as everyone you deal with is on the "same page", you will have happy customers!

Thanks for your opinion and business thoughts.

My issues....

This response submitted by David D. Blevins on 3/5/06 at 7:51 PM. ( info@blevinstaxidermy.com ) 152.16.164.193

I agree with the turn around time. My contract states 1 year but very seldom does it ever reach that unless it is a huge project with multiple species and the customer knows it up front. My biggest problem right now is with those customers that don't mind paying the price, won't the quality but then two months after they drop off there deer they call and ask if it is ready. I have one customer that called three times yesterday about his beaver that I have only had 5 1/2 months. I had planned to start working on the form and getting things ready this week but that just makes me want to stall. Is that right? no not really, its not good PR and stalling that one piece could set you back 1-2 months. This particular client works for the county so their is the chance for good PR or bad PR, the difference of loosing customers or gaining customers. You have to have a good business practice if you want your business to grow and be profitable. Unless you just don't care. I have said it on here before, I am a one man shop and except during peak deer season, I will not work 14 or 16 hours a day, or on Sunday. I have three small kids that I want to be with every hour that I can, but when I am working I don't play and I get the work done and then some without cutting any corners. Each piece that you do should be high quality. Anyway, this could go on in many different directions but I just wanted to give my input. And as always i have enjoyed reading this. Take care and God bless.

is this simple

This response submitted by Ray on 3/5/06 at 7:55 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.10

.....if your customer base will accept waiting 1 or 2 years then so be it. no different then pricing....if the public is willing to pay $500 a deer head in a given area then go get it. Some area's you may have a hard time getting that and still getting a large volume. Really this is not rocket science. Call a house builder if he is a good one you may have to waite a year for him to get to you. There is a quality issue here for sure. My name is on the door not a wholesaler's or a kid I hired for $7.00 per hour. Do you really think they care as much as the guy who has his name on the door?

I agree with almost all that was said..

This response submitted by Greg Waite on 3/5/06 at 8:47 PM. ( ) 204.116.125.11

except the comment about part timers not being set up to do quality work. I do better work that alot of taxidermist in my area. I am part time and EVERY evening I am in my shop. I generally put 15 - 20 hours in a deer, from the time it comes to me to the time it goes out the door. I also charge more than most in my area. Mike Rohanna, world champion, also works part time. I think a year isn't too bad but I have clients that waited 2 years. I just had a client pick one up and he told me his buddy would be mad, cause his taxi has his deer 2 yrs later. My turnaround time 2.5 months but I tell people that the contract says 1 year. But I know some taxidermist that take in 150 deer, African work, bears, elk, sheep, you name it plus he sculpts forms and sculptures. His clients accept the fact that it takes - long and they are fine with it and keep him hopping. As long as your clients are willing to pay and accept the turnaround, how are we to say anything.

Some of you guys are just as dumb as Kim (KJM) is

This response submitted by George on 3/6/06 at 10:36 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.10

You sit there like a top feeder with your mouth open and a guy like Kim throws you a doughball and you swallow it.

Some one said that is was bull that if you didn't have a years backlog, you just weren't good enough. Well, let me put it exponentially. You Don't have a WORKLOAD. MOST taxidermy shops are one person operations PERIOD (NO-Most of us DIDN'T work for Mike Boyce and those of us who know Mike Boyce know that his production stuff is not without flaws.) Now Einstein Kim wants you to know that you could do better with employees. HUH? Employees are a ball and chain to most independent taxidermists. Along with them they carry minimum wages, workman's compensation, social security and tax withholin. Some even insist on medical benefits. Now just how many of you who've chirped here can or would do all that. The insurance industry doesn't even RECOGNIZE taxidermists as a real field of endeavor and profit margins remain some of the lowest in America. My plumber gets more to come out and replace my $150 Goulds pump over 4 hours than I make on a damned elk it took me a week to finish. Electricians, auto mechanics, even computer troubleshooters.

I do contract out work, but Thank GOD I do. Had I been like MOST taxidermist and had my health go down the crapper like it did, I'd have been TWO YEARS behind.

You guys need to learn all you can about KIM! He loves to pontificate and look down his nose at others. Your backlog is no one's busisness save yourself. If your customers are pleased with it, why should you go "under the clock" for Kim?

My lead times fluctuate with my workload. Usually MOST of my work is done before the deer season opens. If so, then 6 months give me a target that's realistic. But during a good deer season, I'll cape and rough flesh for 16 hours and still have deer lying on the floor. Next morning it repeats itself and that goes on for a solid two weeks. That's TWO WEEKS that are shot out of your lead times.

If you truly want to be smart, ignore Kim and put ONE YEAR on all your work. If the customer can't live with that, then let the customer decide, but it shouldn't be a factor that makes you miss your daughters wedding or a vacation that you have planned.

Even with one year, you're sometimes tasked beyond. This year in my shop is a great example. I didn't want to take over 35 deer - I ended up with 55. I have 5 bears, but then federal money became available and I got a dozen or so small game pieces thrown in that I'd never have planned on. Then to top it off, my very best customer and his friend (my second best customer) went to Africa and brought back 2 safaris worth of animals. Now the relaxed feeling of a 1 year turnaround is not quite as comfortable as it was 5 months ago.

Kim, I'm suffering form a concussion. What your excuse for these dumbass postings?

Well George, why do you Slander and Blaspheme?

This response submitted by KJM on 3/6/06 at 11:55 AM. ( ) 69.171.240.121

George,
I feel sorry for you. I'll see what I can do to help you along your path. You are the Slanderer and blasphemer of taxidermy. You got one heck of a style and you must be proud. I might say, you have earned this title at a few other places you frequent!

Nothing wrong with the post George. Unless of course, you didn't think of it...? Here you go twisting and turning things to get the attention you desire, are you happy now? Too bad you don't try to be civil and mind your own business. I'm sure your sweating on how your health may turn out in the near future. Too bad you ask for your troubles and now you will have to start the path to your big sleep. Why rush it?

Here we go again. Everything was polite and people were exchanging ideas and George Roof felt left out and lonely. Nobody wants your dragon mouth. Why can't you stop the obvious harassment? Perhaps, you need more than a good flushing to get your act together.

Why do you Slander and blaspheme so many people? You seem to have a fixation on me and I wonder why? But fear not! You should have chosen your adversaries more wisely.

You seem to live by condescending and badgering people in an effort to persuade them to render attention to you. Why? Are you that small of a person? Is your ego the kind that feeds off of slamming people and trying to get a following to swallow your belittling tripe?

Perhaps it really is time for a starving person such as yourself to assume room temp and stop spewing your obvious discontent and toxic style.

HE"S BACK

This response submitted by Taxidermygeorge.net on 3/6/06 at 1:26 PM. ( ) 66.112.59.110

The Messiah has returned!

Well, thank you Kim and Mr. 666

This response submitted by George on 3/6/06 at 5:21 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.10

Seeing as how I don't believer either of you, I surely won't want you to waste time on my sympathy. You already know what two words bracket it in the dictionary, don't you? And I don't want either of those two as well.

Kim, Pontification is hardly "blaspheming" unless YOU think you're god. Slander? Now there's a leap. The great thing about that little orange SEARCH icon and you using a high speed DSL makes it so much easier to see the crap you've foisted on this site. And I certainly never visit any other site so you're lost there. I have to admit, however, your impersonation of Pat Robertson was intriguing as my health is a punishment for my actions. Now how about you explaining that frontal lobotomy you exhibit.

Mr. 666 has no postings listed there for his DSL number we can only assume he's sneaking away from his terminal to use someone elses.

NO ONE, certainly not me, is "badgering" anyone about their turn-around times. All we have to do is read the title you put on this thread and the condescending tone therein to see exactly who the true culprit is: YOU Kim . And I assure you, I have no "fixation" on you personally though you always seem to group into the mentality of individuals I detest. People like YOU encourage pecking orders and castes within the industry. You take your pompous assed attitude and then besmirch anyone who doesn't agree with you. YOU (and those like you) are the trouble with taxidermy. You grovel to find some microbe of variance in the way you do things and they do, then you wrap yourself with this great robe of sanctity and tell people they can't possibly be "professional" unless they swallow your swill. Well, as long as God allows me to breathe, I'm going to be on your shadow. You can destroy more in a senseless comment like this (as well as your CWD posting in the past) then most of us can try to cover up. But try I shall and as long as you come on here looking down your nose, I'm going to take a poke at it.

George you are so full of yourself!

This response submitted by KJM on 3/6/06 at 6:25 PM. ( ) 69.171.240.121

There is no sense in me trying to show any care or concern to you as you would simply throw it back into my face. So, here we go!

George,

You have my sympathy and pity. You always try to create some problem or fear and then you rush in and make your gratuitous post and pat yourself on the back for it. George, you are the one with an agenda of propaganda. Your way and your thoughts or all things are wrong. Save us George! Do you look for people to give your blessing to?

Everything was fine until you started your self-serving crapola. Well, I guess we better get started and make you feel superior as you so often portray. You asked for this type of post. But I am sure someone will criticize me for speaking the truth to you. The truth does hurt doesn't it George?

Again, I feel sorry for you but you seem to be well enough to start your sanctimonious crap again. What are you afraid of George? Is death knocking on your door? Just let the spirit in! You will understand once you do. But, in your own secretive way, you have been a coward for years. But then you know that!

So, you're stewing in your contemplation of an early demise? I can understand why you are bitter and feel that somebody might take away some fame or fortune from you. YOU ALWAYS HAVE WANTED TO MAKE A SHOWY DISPLAY OF THINGS. People that should be in Hospice often get irrational and try to cast blame for their situation. Again, you have my sympathy and pity.

You must have a form of nvCJD. You always think someone is sticking their nose up at people. George it is you that has a problem. YOU are the one that ALWAYS demean and foster discontent. Do you think you are the Savior? Quite Frankly George, there are some surprises along the way for you. As you get closer to death, I am positive that ............well, no need to tell you.

Nothing was out of kilter until you decided to demonize someone and then you try to rally support. That is what you like to do! YOU are the one that is crying so loud to say look at me and PLEASE help me! Poor me! I need your help! I don't know what to do! You act so pitiful it is disgusting. Don't you have any honor left? You are the problem, reaction, solution guy! Do you even understand what that means?

You are a deceitful person that wants control over all things and issues! Look at your post! Look at your life. Why do you think you act the way you do? You have something to prove don't you? Who cares George? I don't! But you try to act like you are the father figure and in reality when the smoke clears, you are still a bitter-old- dying man that is trying to bite and inject as much venom as possible and without remorse of any kind. You are such a good example for people.

By the way, You asked me to post something on CWD? Not a problem! People like you will deny to your dying breath there is a serious problem. But, as long as the money flows in, who cares about the truth or the future? Obvious, you don't. Unless of course, your name is on it!

George you stay healthy! Just don't try to use people and take advantage of them. You might have less guilt.

Have a nice day....

Forgot something Georgie!

This response submitted by KJM on 3/6/06 at 6:48 PM. ( ) 69.171.240.121

By the way, happy belated birthday George! ...How many more is a guess for anyone!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu