Digital photos

Submitted by Doug on 3/6/06 at 8:31 AM. ( ) 64.18.236.83

I take a lot of taxidermy photos with my digital camera. It's a 6 megapixel model so the pics are tack sharp when I look at them on the computer screen. . However, when I reduce their size on my computer, they get fuzzy. I thought that sharp photos got fuzzy(pixilated) as they were enlarged..not as they were reduced. Can someone explain why the sharp photos get fuzzier when they are reduced in size? Keep it simple please...eh? Thanks.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

ok

This response submitted by Mike on 3/6/06 at 8:41 AM. ( ) 208.252.179.27

You need to clarify what you mean by "reduce their size". If you are reducing the file size (reducing resolution) of the photos and still viewing them at the same size on your screen, then the photo quality will be reduced.

This response submitted by levi timmer on 3/6/06 at 8:46 AM. ( ) 216.120.143.35

all digital photos are composed of tiny littlte dots and they are o close together you can only seee the picture not each indaviual dot

okay if you write help in the sand with 1000 tiny pices of gravel , how would it look from an airplane? the photo will appear block or pixalated its really simple.

This is what happens

This response submitted by Doug Bridges on 3/6/06 at 8:47 AM. ( ) 12.40.253.105

When you reduce the size down, you also reduce the resolution of the picture. If you are going from a large size photo to a smaller photo, for use on a web page, you may be reducing the resolution to 75 dots per inch. Taking a large size photo, say in the 600 to 1200 dpi range down to a photo in the 75dpi range eliminates/merges a ton of pixels and therefore reduces the resolution. It's the nature of the beast. Its kind of the same thing going the other way. The data is spread out as you increase the size of the file. The computer makes the date fit the file size you are creating.

It's frickin magic.
Doug

Doug,

This response submitted by Glen Conley on 3/6/06 at 8:49 AM. ( g.conley@verizon.net ) 70.104.113.95

you might be a little more specific and identify which particular photo program that you are using.

Some programs have settings that can be changed to keep the fuzziness from happening when down-sizing, while others do not. Maybe someone with that particular program could then lend assistance.

Interesting

This response submitted by Mike on 3/6/06 at 9:30 AM. ( ) 209.206.208.239

When I send out my digital photos, which are usually large, I am given the option to "Make my pictures smaller" which I usually do. The files are usually reduced about 10X in memory size, but at 100% size the photos are clear. If I enlarge the photo,(that has been reduced) it then becomes fuzzy. Can someone explain how this works?

Otherwise, if I take the raw image, copy it and paste it in Word, I can then size it anyway I want and it comes out great. If you copy and paste the photo to Word, it will be huge, I immediately grab the corner marker and pull the photo in toward the center, reducing it equally vertically and horizontally. Then I make sure the photo is "clicked on" and I go into Text Wrapping,(it has a picture of a dog with lines through it, and is available through the "Picture" task bar)in which I click on "tight". This then changes the photo to a different highlight sceme and allows you to move and rotate the photo any way you want, it even lets you put the photo anywhere on the page so you can stack them right in next to the edge of the page. The "Picture" task bar is made available usually automatically when you paste the picture into Word, but if you need to find it, right click somewhere in the task bar area on a blank space above the document, and you will be given a drop down menu of task bar choices. Check the choice "picture" and you'll be set. This really works well for me, I can resize and manipulate all my pictures, and especially when going from large to small, the quality is maintained. YOu can even brighten and give more contrast to the photos, but it by no means can come close to what the Photoshop programs can do. It's a simple way to tweak photos.

To you Mike

This response submitted by Doug Bridges on 3/6/06 at 10:47 AM. ( ) 12.40.253.105

You are talking about 2 different things. Apples and Oranges.

You are physically resizing, not resizing from a standpoint of pixels per inch.

Doug

This response submitted by Mike on 3/6/06 at 1:47 PM. ( ) 64.91.85.149

I understand the two are different, that's why they were separated in my post. I was just looking for an explanation as to what the computer is doing when it "makes my pictures smaller", when I select that option when I e-mail the files.

And I gave the explanation for re-sizing pictures in Word because it works for me.

Thanks,

Mike

Most programs by default...

This response submitted by marty on 3/6/06 at 2:00 PM. ( ) 24.15.107.136

...reduce the e-file (resolution) size down when you select "email photos" (or whatever). This is simply because it would take too long for many people to download the bigger (high-res) photos particularly if they have a dial-up ISP. Therefore if you want to email the high res. versions do not select this option (or just put them in as an attachment and totally bypass your photo software)...

size and resolution two different things

This response submitted by Randal R. Waites on 3/6/06 at 7:47 PM. ( rwenglish1@aol.com ) 64.12.116.132

What I got from Dougs post is this. He has a 6 mega pixel picture, which probably has a resolution size of, 2050 x 1650,or a photo size that's 11" x 14".
Now if he just makes the picture size smaller, without down sizing the resolution, it will become fuzzy. Yes, there are many programs, that reduce the resolution and picture accordingly. But you can, I know I use to do it, before I figured just a little more out, and they never looked right.

Now I use Photo Impact Pro 8.0, which now is outdated, they now have Photo Impact Pro 10.0. But there are less expensive programs, such as MGI Photosuite II. Or the best program I have found, is called CoolResizer, you can go to this web site http://www.sharewareconnection.com/cool-resizer.htm and try for free or buy this download. It will resize any photo to small thumbnail, standard thumbnail, large thumbnail, email size, small web page, medium web page, and large web page size. I think this is one of the best and fastest way to resize a photo. It does not change the original, it makes a new folder for the resized photo. It's worth looking into.

I use Canon Photo Gold

This response submitted by Doug on 3/6/06 at 11:10 PM. ( ) 64.18.236.224

My picture hosting service only allows a maximum photo file size of 64K. The photos I take are MUCH bigger than that so I have to "resize" them down to under 64K. The smaller I make them, the fuzzier they get...eh? I then have "enhance" them by clicking "sharper" a few times to clear up the fuzziness. I wish I could reduce the size of the file(photo) without reducing the resolution. I'll look into CoolResizer. Thanks Randal.

email a picture......

This response submitted by Randal R. Waites on 3/6/06 at 11:33 PM. ( rwenglish1@aol.com ) 152.163.100.73

Doug, email me a or as large a picture you can, I will put it through all the resizer sizes and email them back so you can see. Just a thought.
rw

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu