Bringing back raw wood from........

Submitted by Breck on 3/14/06 at 11:01 AM. ( brecktaxidermy@sbcglobal.net ) 71.137.25.252

.....a foreign country. Has anyone tried to bring back raw wood pieces to use on their mounts when returning to the US from a hunt outside of the US.
I've tried to talk to a human at the USDA with no luck and no returning of my messages. No surprise there as it took several months for them to get back to my numerous messages to get approval for importing birds.
I found on their web site a section that states that for pieces less than 15 in number that no fumigation was required but it does not state "what is required"
So, again, have you ever attempted to bring back branches, driftwood etc. and what was your experience at customs ?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

They will not

This response submitted by RJ Simington on 3/14/06 at 11:07 AM. ( animalartsnw@charter.net ) 66.190.240.12

Let you bring them in due to the fact that there could be seeds of some foriegn plant in it that could cause them to be introduced, Or there could be a bacteria such as Hoof & Mouth or New Castels disease in the dirt that is on the wood.

It is very difficult!

This response submitted by Mjvaden on 3/14/06 at 11:27 AM. ( mjvaden@aol.com ) 64.12.116.200

USDA has actually just put in to place a new rule that even your crates have to be build with a very expensive treated plywood from Germany. I was clearing a shipment at the airport and was warned about this.
It actually has nothing to do with seeds or disease. They are trying to stop Wood boring insects from coming in to the country and affecting our timber industry.

Mike

That's what I suspected

This response submitted by Breck on 3/14/06 at 12:00 PM. ( ) 71.137.25.252

I saw on the USDA site that it can be done but I don't want to have to use Bromide gases and sealed containers etc for just a few sticks. I guess I'll have to take some extra mold making material and bring back some plastic branches. I want to create authentic tropical habitat scenes and I've seen some unique twisted branches in the Yucatan. Do you think the same type of restrictions would apply returning from Hawaii ?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu