Important article for taxidermists

Submitted by Jerry C on 3/16/06 at 11:53 AM. ( picklehill103@yahoo.com ) 69.169.222.239

If you are doing retail taxidermy, you should have a copy handy of the article "The Limited Life of a Trophy" by Steve Miller. (Taxidermy Today- Jan/Feb 2001) to reproduce for any customer who accuses you of poor workmanship for allowing their mount to become bug-infested.
I had a customer show up at my doorstep yesterday, accusing me of not mounting his three year old heads correctly as bugs (dermestid beetles) had infested his mounts.
Luckily I was able to contact my teacher and he faxed me the article to share with the customer. Basically it says that ANY mount is susceptable and it is not the fault of the taxidermist or the quality of his or her work. It would be similar to saying that the home builder was at fault if the homeowner became infested with termites ten years after the house was completed.
If my teaher is reading this, thanks a million for the article. It calmed the customer down a bit and we were able to work on a solution to his problem. This is the first time I've ever experienced this problem and I hope it's my last.
Jerry C

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

The Law of Entropy

This response submitted by Justin on 3/16/06 at 1:15 PM. ( justin@midstatetaxidermy.com ) 64.12.116.136

It states that everything falls apart. The only thing that improves on earth or the universe for that matter is life itself through adaptation and evolution. That is the only exception to the law of entropy.

Fruit Flies

This response submitted by Tom on 3/16/06 at 9:08 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.136

I was just at the Pa. Convention, and a seminar host brought up the same question. His answer to dermisted bugs was this, If you don't think you have bugs in your house, just put a piece of fruit out on the counter in a dish, and watch the Fruit Flies show up. Where did they come from?
Tom

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu