new idea

Submitted by guy on 3/17/06 at 8:15 PM. ( guyandkali@yahoo.com ) 208.38.117.180

Just a thought, I just bleached a wild boar skull using oxi clean. wow turned out great! What do u think? guy

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Oxy-clean is a weak

This response submitted by joeym on 3/17/06 at 9:29 PM. ( joeym@ra.msstate.edu ) 68.222.64.211

form of hydrogen peroxide, I think. To get maximum whiteness, and uniformity, I am an avid believer in 35% H2O2 mixed into a paste with Magnesiun carbonate. To me , nothing else comes close to the brite whiteness I like to see in skulls.

More important is the degreasing!

This response submitted by Ernie on 3/18/06 at 7:30 AM. ( ) 65.167.40.13

If it is degreased properly, either would work fine..

<><>ERNIE OR WHO EVER<><>

This response submitted by EARL on 3/18/06 at 8:32 PM. ( antlersandwings@comcast.net ) 68.82.184.251

What's the best way to degrease bears and boar skulls after being bug cleaned ?

To degrease boar & bear skulls,

This response submitted by joeym on 3/18/06 at 9:47 PM. ( joeym@ra.msstate.edu ) 70.157.16.95

I like for them to steep in simmering hot water with Era (1 cup) & Dawn (1/2 cup) per 5 gallons of water for 30-45 minutes. Then let them set overnite in the water as it cools. Rinse off the next day with hot water. You may have to do this a couple of times. Whatever you do, do not soak them in gasoline...its dangerous, its expensive, its in-effective (IMHO), and you will have one helluva time getting the gas smell out of them.

As you know, beetle and macerated skulls really stink. The Era/Dawn combination does a real good job of deodorizing the skull also.

You can

This response submitted by Ernie on 3/20/06 at 9:32 AM. ( ) 65.167.40.13

Do the simmering like above, Don't boil it! I normally do that but with the laundry deturgent tabs with color safe bleech. But if you like, oderless mineral spirits can work also I have done both and either work well.
The spirits soak was done on a boar skull that seemed to need more than the detergent so i soaked it for 3 days then took it out let it dry befor the bleaching. Which I use powder bleach with 40% peroxide.
Turned out nice!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu