Outfitter trading ?

Submitted by Meredith on 3/18/06 at 12:51 PM. ( ) 70.245.23.242

My prices are about average for my area...in line with the other local professional taxidermists. I have a chance to get the work off 4 ranches south of here. I was approached by a Outdoors TV show to do the work off of these ranches and for however many pieces I get from them...the guide gets a mount for free. How many pieces do you think is a fair trade? I don't want to be ripped off but I don't want to offend these guys with my offer. I will also get advertizing at the end of the show...like a few seconds of airtime with my business name and phone number.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

personally

This response submitted by lee on 3/18/06 at 1:01 PM. ( ) 70.110.43.166

i dont do any deals period. if you start giving discounts and deals they your business becomes a bargin shop anp people will start jewing you down on your prices. And if you dont come down a little then they say "well so and so got his done for this much" Better off using the same price for everybody, no matter what the quanity. You want people to come to you because of your work not your price. Just my oppinion.
Lee

percentage fairest way

This response submitted by gary on 3/18/06 at 1:13 PM. ( ) 207.155.19.191

when I'm dealing with an unknown just making promises,I set apercentage(about 10%)This way he gets 1 head for each 10 he brings.No hard feelings or misunderstandings.If he's all talk you owe him 10% of nothing

Forget it

This response submitted by Jimmy on 3/18/06 at 2:15 PM. ( ) 67.182.206.119

There are a thousand "Outdoor Shows" on TV right now when you factor in The Sportsmen's Channel, The Outdoor Channel, Outdoor LIfe Network, The Men's Channel, ETC,. I know because I produced and edited a couple shows. Here is a secret about if a show is making money. IF THEY HAVE A PRODUCT TO SELL and are producing the show to promote that product(Realtree, Cabelas, etc), then they are most likely to see a profit, HOWEVER, if the show is only a narcissist wanting to see himself on TV showing everyone what a stud he is(Keith Warren, Jim Zumbo, Rusty Faulk, etc), then they are not making any money and only want discounts and freebies. Forget it. Unless they can ofer you products from their sponsors that you can hawk on ebay and make twice the money for your mounts and pay for your time lising the items, you are just losing money. Don't get seduced into wanting to say that you mount deer for "so and so" on an outdoor show. Instead, make a trophy sign of all the shows you turned down to do free mounts. Make money or die.

I'm with Jimmy and Lee

This response submitted by George on 3/18/06 at 2:20 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.5

Anytime a deal sounds too good to be true, it is. I don't play discounts any more than falling for the pitch of certain hunt clubs or organizations. No matter what you trade in return for you 5 minutes of fame, it's seldom worth it.

Zumbo is a great guy.

This response submitted by Jim MARSICO- www.jamesmarsico.com on 3/18/06 at 2:27 PM. ( ) 71.209.65.198

To clarify one thing Jimmy posted, Mr. Jim Zumbo brings me alot of business and also sends alot my way and I do not give him a discount and he has never asked for one.

Depends

This response submitted by JL on 3/18/06 at 3:12 PM. ( wmlures@metro2000.net ) 216.177.1.168

This can be a boon or boondogle depending on how you approach it. The first caution I would make is...be sure and get whatever they are offering ON PAPER especially the credits or air time.Editors are notorious about cutting parts out of a show. Make sure they don't cut you out.Also in the agreement make sure that your obligation is very clear.
Now...do you need the work or are your freezers loaded? How many mounts a year will you get from the ranches and how much $$$$ will it produce for you? If you need or want to expand your work then go for it.Add 10% to your prices right now and offer the outfitter a 10% commission, either cash or a traded mount of equal value.Either way you won't lose any $$$.If you don't have a really nice website for people to go to and see your work they won't remember you an hour after the show airs.So if you're not prepared to take advantage of any publicity you get, the show is just an ego trip.Are they going to show any of your work on the show? For you to benefit from the show you will have to be part of it and not just a passing credit.
My son Michael Lavallee appears often on TV on Overhauling, West Coast Choppers, and Rides.They feature his talents on these shows and they don't pay him.His pay is from the National exposure he gets and he has a great website for potential customers to look at www.killerpaint.com . Whenever he appears on TV he gets over a million hits on his website and this generates a lot of work for his shop.Whether or not this is right for you can only be answered by you.If you decide to make the jump,be certain that you have everything in your favor before the leap. Good luck...JL
PS. Mike will be appearing on the Overhauling Show on April 4. Check the TV listings in your area for time and channel.

Regarding Zumbo, JIM

This response submitted by Jimmy on 3/18/06 at 3:14 PM. ( ) 67.182.206.119

Fair enough. Replace Zumbo's name with Jack Brittingham or Wally Dallenbauch(?).

HEY

This response submitted by michael p on 3/18/06 at 3:51 PM. ( michaelschlabach@hotmail.com ) 12.179.226.95

atleast wally try's to make celebrities s.. there pants with his driving!

JL

This response submitted by AndyO on 3/19/06 at 1:10 AM. ( ajossola@yahoo.com ) 68.20.213.237

Your sons work is incredible! His flames will burn you just looking at them. Let me guess, you taught him everything he knows about airbrushing? LOL.

I did

This response submitted by JL on 3/19/06 at 10:57 AM. ( wmlures@metro2000.net ) 216.177.1.149

I did teach him how to use an airbrush, but since he could'nt paint a fish I told him to concentrate on making money....lol.
Watch him on Overhauling April 4. CYAS.....JL

It is all even steven!

This response submitted by Chad on 3/21/06 at 5:46 PM. ( ) 64.24.197.51

Yep I had a guy from a nature center ask me to do some fish for the center for free or little to no charge. Also I had another willing to pay for taxidermy school in return for me mounting his african game for free. I have not heard back from him yet. I would consider if 1) he took me with him so I can hunt some african game for myself, or 2) He at least paid for the materials, or 3)and along with choices 1 and 2 send more of his wealthy hunting freinds. to get the money back from my "FREE LABOR"

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu