Advice please

Submitted by Mark Johnson on 3/18/06 at 9:21 PM. ( ) 66.140.226.178

about two months ago I was told by a rancher in my area that he was going to send me the next 150 heads off of his ranch and he said he does not do commission or kickbacks, needless to say I am still waiting. I have referred some major clients to this ranch and he also told my clients he was going to send me the next 150 heads. I am going to contact the rancher on monday, what should I say to him and/or how should I go about it. Thanks in advance for your advice and input.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Catch 22

This response submitted by George on 3/18/06 at 9:28 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.117.13

If you mention something, he may take offense and you get nothing. If you don't say anything, you're likely to get nothing. So since the common denominator is "nothing", I hope you didn't turn away your regular customers just for this pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Tact

This response submitted by ByGolly on 3/18/06 at 10:31 PM. ( ) 63.170.184.139

I would go by and see him and it would go something like this:

Hey Rancher whats up.
How have you been ect.
I sent Joe blow to you. Did He book a hunt?
How did he do. Did he have a good time.

By the way I never got the head Jed. Do you know what happened ect.

What happened

This response submitted by * on 3/19/06 at 7:03 AM. ( ) 218.214.25.75

to YOUR clients, did THEY not even bring their heads to you?
Simply ask Hey , l sent some clients your way, how did they make out
If he says , no good, tell the rancher, best then l send my clients elsewhere if it is no good

Tell the truth

This response submitted by Paul I on 3/19/06 at 7:39 AM. ( paulblastoatyahoo.com ) 209.210.32.101

Tell him how your feel and your concerns.If he is as honest as you it will all work out.If hes not you will know that also.People respect a person who speaks the truth.

George is right

This response submitted by HAPP on 3/19/06 at 7:55 AM. ( huntersedgetaxidermy@hotmail.com ) 67.167.106.79

They all talk BIG. I have an 'owner' of a hunt property, that wants me to "put his clients on my priority list" In other words, Get their heads done first. I told him, lets see what comes of your hunts. I've been told, he hasn't sold ONE hunt as of yet, and it's been a few years he's been trying. We still talk, but I make no promisses of putting him first......PERIOD....... My list is---- FIFO--- first in first out. That has only changed once in the past 18 years, and that was when a clients father-in-law had brain cancer. I mounted his deer, and it was taken to his hospital room. He did react to seeing it. He passed 2 days later. The son-in-law sends me alot of work. Those are the kind of referrals I count on. HAPP

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu