Christian Opinions please

Submitted by Jon on 3/21/06 at 12:55 PM. ( ) 199.253.126.3

Christian opinions please,
I recently gave a Christian School class tour in my shop and was asked by a student what the Bible says in regards to taxidermy. I knew a few verses that are related but believe there are more....so I am looking...so next time I will be better prepared.
There are many verses in the Bible that can be used to support hunting and creation but in your opinions what verses support taxidermy. I have a few but will withhold those at this time because I want unbiased opinions.
Thanks
Jon

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

God

This response submitted by guy on 3/21/06 at 1:01 PM. ( ) 208.38.117.180

as christians, we have dominion over all creatures of the air land and sea, so by preserving Gods creation, we are complimenting God

clothing

This response submitted by Mr.T on 3/21/06 at 3:08 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.233

God clothed Adam and Eve in animal skins, I don't know if they were tanned or not, maybe just DP'ed.

Fuhgedabowdit !

This response submitted by J J on 3/21/06 at 3:22 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.202

God himself made the first clothes for Adam and Eve. Whad'ya think he used naugahide or spandex? How 'bout all those wine skins they used to make a point in some of the gospels? We know God was into bar-be-cues otherwise he wouldn't have thought so much about those old time sacrafices he loved his people to send up. In fact God was also the very first wildlife conservationist. Did he not tell Noah to put two of a kind male and female on the ark when he sent that big rain cloud over the earth? C'mon, he was God! I could just see him now sculpting a life size unicorn and then having it walk off the pedestal right after he sneezed on it. All he's gotta do is sweep the floors of heaven and the finest habitat material grows from it. I mean think about the headlines on Taxidermy.Net, "God wins all titles at NTA show, critics claim fraud since no forms, seams or glass eyes were found to be used."
After all that I sure hope God's got a sense of humor. Seriously, maybe God wasn't into taxidermy as we know it but he certainly was with out a doubt animal user friendly. He is also NOT the author of guilt when it comes to the gifts he has given us. Taxidermy is one of those speacil gifts we got from his divine creation, the natural resources.
So be proud of what you are to your Christian friends Jon who visit your shop. If any of them got a problem with taxidermy just tell them God himself had a cousin in the business, St.John the Baptist. Now here's a guy who never even went to a tannery for his clothes since he wore them right off the critter's back! Good case for a possible dry preservative user huh? Yet we are told he was the 2nd most important person in the new testament. So much for the lowly fig leaves.

actually,,

This response submitted by Mr.T on 3/21/06 at 3:31 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.233

The question is irrelevant, because the bible says nothing about plastics, tires, guns, microwaves, or many other items that were invented over the years. Maybe some taxidermy mounts today can be related to graven images and idols to be worshiped as when Aaron took charge while Moses was away. But making tanned leather goes way back to the Ice age. The Romans used leather in just about everything. From making wine skins to armor. But I don't think that Jacob the hunter was ever recorded taking his game to the taxidermist. Or David taking his Lion and Bear in for a life size mounts.

Simon the Tanner

This response submitted by Breck on 3/21/06 at 3:49 PM. ( ) 71.137.26.26

The apostle Peter stayed with Simon the tanner (acts 9:43, 10:6) In the old tastament, this proffession was considered "unclean" to the jews because of the constant contact with dead animals. There were also unclean or not kosher foods for health reasons like pork= tricinoces, shellfish= hepatitus, clams= poisonous at certain times of the year, rabbit= yellow fever, etc etc. But now we see in the New Testament that these things do not condemn a person. Justification comes from a relationship with God by recieving His forgiveness for our sins based on our believing that Jesus paid our debt on the cross.
Being a taxidermist does not condemn you anymore than being a vegetarian can bring you justification.
Obviously, some proffessions are contrary to God such as prostitution, but where the Bible is silent we are given this exhortation; Romans:14:22 Happy is he that condemns not himself in that thing which he allows.

No God

This response submitted by JJK on 3/21/06 at 9:18 PM. ( ) 24.149.139.232

I hope you guys know there is no God and if there is do you really think he cares about taxidermy. Shouldn't he be saving sick children or something of that nature. Get a life!

heres some

This response submitted by KJV on 3/21/06 at 10:02 PM. ( ) 68.248.119.3

First for JJK heres a verse. Psalms 14:1 "The fool hath said in his heart, there is no God"
As for the original question that started this interesting thread, I have always liked Acts 10:13. God showed Peter all the animals of the world and then said "Rise Peter, kill and eat"
Not taxidermy but still good!

waste not, want not

This response submitted by Ruth Wolfbauer on 3/21/06 at 10:32 PM. ( rawdogone@i2k.net ) 66.255.212.40

In the days of old, (that would be before the days of disposable items and a wasteful society) people used all parts of the animal they could. They made food out of what ever was edible. They used the skins as clothing, water containers, etc.. Maybe it was not taxidermy, but they put to good use the skins. Would one consider taxidermy putting skins to good use? A way of decorating one's living area? Giving one a job to make a living? Preserving the beauty of a creature once the life has drained from the flesh? A history of what used to be (extinct animals)? Educational purposes? Just my way of looking at it.

lets be honest here...

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 3/21/06 at 11:34 PM. ( ) 67.138.9.145

Those of us with faith should know how to field questions like that by now. When the student asked you this, all you needed to say was no, there is no specific mention of taxidermy in the Bible...period. We shouldnt worry about justifying it. The Bible is a good guide to a moral life. Taxidermy is an end usage to the animals that God has given us. The Bible says we are stewards of the land. Our common sense takes us from there. Quick question...if they were taking a tour of your Midas Muffler shop, would you know how to answer the question then? See, easy! And to JJK, guys like you who state that theres no God, yet still acknowledge His existence, and even capitalize His name, crack me up.

It's called sarcasm

This response submitted by The Great Satan on 3/21/06 at 11:40 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.72

Delete the first part of that sentence and reread it.

And he dont care what book of fairy tales you subscribe to, whether it be the Bible, Koran, or Torah....

Did Jesus Abolish the Bible Health Laws?

This response submitted by TR on 3/22/06 at 12:06 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.72

Did Jesus do away with fundamentally important biblical laws concerning human health? Those who believe this usually cite Mark 7 and Acts 10. Some Bible translations of Mark 7:18-19 say: "Jesus declared all foods clean"—yet other translations render the verse differently. When you compare Mark 7 with a similar account in Matthew 15, you find that Jesus was not even addressing the subject of clean or unclean foods—the issue in question was eating without a ceremonial washing of the hands! Acts 10 describes Peter's vision of a sheet coming down from heaven containing unclean animals that he is told three times to kill and eat. Peter, who had been trained by Christ for more than three years, understood that this was wrong and resisted! While Peter pondered the meaning of the vision (Acts 10:17), several Gentiles arrived at his home. On hearing their mission, Peter grasped the meaning of the vision: "God has shown me that I should not call any man common or unclean" (Acts 10:28). According to Scripture, Peter did not conclude from this vision that the laws of clean and unclean foods had been eliminated. This is confirmed by a prophecy that indicates when Christ returns He will bring judgment on idol worshipers and those who persist in eating unclean animals (Isaiah 66:15-17).

Jon

This response submitted by Mr.T on 3/22/06 at 1:14 AM. ( ) 64.31.6.77

There are no Bible verses supporting taxidermy. Ask the person that asked that question if there is a Bible verse supporting that cell phone that they carry in their pocket. Christians are taught to separate everything into the holy and un-holy, and after a while, their vision is blurred on the simple things. An honest profession will be blessed by God no matter what it is, no matter what folks from Church might think.

Simon by the sea....

This response submitted by Rick Carter on 3/22/06 at 7:25 AM. ( ) 67.140.200.200

Just to elaborate on Breck's post, It was the Dead Sea. The hides were soaked in the Dead Sea because of the extreme salt content. Simon had the largest pickling vat in the world!

use of skins

This response submitted by TR on 3/22/06 at 9:06 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.72

Exodus 39:34 And the covering of rams' skins dyed red, and the covering of badgers' skins, and the vail of the covering and the shielding curtain
Genesis 3:21 The LORD God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them.

TR

This response submitted by Breck on 3/22/06 at 5:02 PM. ( ) 71.137.37.115

The swine mentioned in Is.66 is in context refering to swine being offered in sacrifice which is an abomination. Jesus is the lamb of God and not the swine of god. You can seek to be righteous by keeping the WHOLE law, but remember James 2:10 and Ga. 3:10-11

Well the problem

This response submitted by Alex on 3/22/06 at 11:26 PM. ( ) 66.32.7.17

Might arise in the 10 commandments, "Thou shalt not make any image of anything in heaven or on earth or under the earth."Thou shalt not kneel before them "

I know I wrestled with that, until I went to a messianic Seminary and I was taught, that making the images for the purpose of worshiping them is what is a sin.
In taxidermy we are reshapping the animal for preservation and display not for religious purposes or to worship, although some hunters get close to worshipping their trophies,LOL

WELL....

This response submitted by Carl E on 3/23/06 at 6:11 AM. ( cedwards3@centurytel.net ) 130.76.32.144

I've been a born again christian for 24 yrs. When I started taxidermy on my own, my pastor was my first customer. A 5oo lb black bear from B.C. Nuf said

I'll Drink to that parable

This response submitted by Ernie on 3/25/06 at 8:02 AM. ( ) 204.95.50.38

Wow no need to go to church this weekend. Learn more here. And won't have to see all the hypocricy, nor hear all the gossip. Won't have to face the neighbor who is involved in all the church functions. whom is a highly respected board member, yet cheats on his wife on a weekly basis. And someome how shine above the rest of the congrgation
with his Better Than Thou attitude. Oh, did I forget to mention the first will be last and the last will be first? As I look at it you don't have to believe in it. But I do! Some people are scared and intimidated by the whole God thing. We are all sinners. Don't kid yourself. Those people whom act Holier than thou sin also. Some have turned Christianity into a business. Which turns me off all together. But God know their motives and their hearts!
Yes there was a tanner in the bible. As for the sacrifices made, the entire animal was used, no part wasted. Taxidermy is not bible related. Your not going to hell for doing taxidermy. And being the best taxidermist in the land won't get you through the pearly gates.
I'll Drink to That! I forgot, I don't Drink! Ernie Kuhn

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu