Customers at drop off

Submitted by Joey Arender on 3/23/06 at 9:57 PM. ( J32a@aol.com ) 205.188.117.73

Just curious! How many of your customers (precentage wise)say something to the effect of " I will or may have more for you to do real soon once I get this back" or I have several friends that are waiting for you to finish mine first". It seems as though at least one out of every three(33%) do with me. Of coarse they are all new customers. The repeat ones just say see you soon. I just wonder if that is their way of trying to insure you will do the best you can on their mount. What do yall think.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

yes and no

This response submitted by bob on 3/23/06 at 10:06 PM. ( RNTAXIDERMY@AOL.COM ) 205.188.116.201

joey, i have customers come in all the time saying if i do a good job they will bring in more and tell their friends. i dont believe they are just trying to get me to do a better job on there mount. they are just trying someone new. i would say that 90% of my business is repeat or word of mouth business. when a new client comes to me to have a mount done, i can assure you they send friends later. i dont believe its just something they say to get a better job, they know i do that anyway by the mounts i have on display. I'll be intrested to hear other comments on this one. i bet they are the same. good luck.
bob

I think a new customer will say that

This response submitted by Hogger on 3/23/06 at 10:26 PM. ( ) 72.234.131.148

yes because they are trying to tell you politely that they really hope you do a good job. And if they are new to you, then you are new to them and they are intrusting you with something that is precious to them and largely irreplaceable. There's a few ways to look at this. One is you might get a little annoyed or offended because it seems they feel they have to use this tactic to get you to do your best work or two is just as I described above and thus you should feel appreciative that they decided to take that risk with you, a new (to them) taxidermist. Besides I think what they said is true. If you do a good job, they will atleast speak highly of your work and thus create new customers for you. I have been told this too and yes it is by new comers. I am confident in what I do so I just let it go in one ear and out the other and I do my work as usual and they are happy in the end. I couldn't give you a persentage but it happens from time to time.

Oh it don't bother me

This response submitted by Joey Arender on 3/23/06 at 10:37 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.201

And I thank each one for trusting me with their prize. Its just funny in a way to me, thats all. I never said it as a customer but I used the same guy from the get go. That is until he pasted away. Then the next guy got a black bear a two fish around the same time boy was that a mistake and another story.

Sounds

This response submitted by 9 Fingers on 3/24/06 at 8:00 AM. ( ) 65.73.74.183

like they are just working you. Either to get bumped up in the workload, cut the price, get you to do a few "extras"...and then "maybe" they won't bad mouth you. Do your best, just like you would any other customer. If you allow the customer to play you....they will.

Yes, they are trying...

This response submitted by marty on 3/24/06 at 9:22 AM. ( ) 24.15.109.214

...to make sure you do a good job by putting the pork chop in front of you. Some consciously do it and some subliminally. I don't blame them. A LOT of people have been screwed by hacks in this business. You get use to it...

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu